Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Another pathetic cut from marriott : Make a Green Choice >> -67%

Another pathetic cut from marriott : Make a Green Choice >> -67%

Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by shawneve
A couple of points have some up consistently:
- this program is a money saver for SPG/Marriott wrapped as a 'green' initiative.
- after the devaluation most people feel the compensation just isn't worth it anymore.

Based on that, the best thing for everyone to do is just not participate anymore and when the housekeeping demand goes up where they have to increase staffing levels. Marriott will realize that they aren't saving money anymore and perhaps they will raise the compensation to previous levels. Also, providing feedback to every property you visit. tell them you aren't participating anymore because the reward is only 1/3 what it used to be.
Don't kid yourself, this program would not exist if it didn't affect their bottom line.
Or they’ll just raise hotel prices.

But yes, definitely let the hotels (management) and Marriott know if you are unhappy.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Marriott also "gave effort" in raising the welcome amenity from 500 to 1000 points at legacy full service properties, so they do have that ability should they care to...
Actually, the SPG welcome amenity was 500 SPG (1,500 Marriott) and the Marriott welcome amenity was 500 Marriott, so they just took the average of the two and landed at 1,000. So Marriott did not raise anything here, they just found a happy medium between the merged programs.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm still surprised (based on friend reporting) how many elites want their cake & eat it too (although I probably shouldn't be surprised). Sign up for no housekeeping to get points but then get pissed off at no housekeeping & demand compensation/service anyway.

Cheers.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HHQX888
As old user Green Choice SPG (500SPG points) at new reality I stop using it, so big devaluation . Not interested anymore in this program.
That is my feeling also,
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:01 am

For the measly 500 MR points (not Starpoints) how it affects workers lives

Although the article is about the union strike vote for worker conditions at the Marriott, it has an interesting section on the MAGC option that reports on how it affects workers lives. I had already been considering opting out even though under the Starwood GC program I usuallly opted in, and after reading this I am convinced that is the right decision for me.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0cf7b003be39e
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
It was pretty obvious that the primary goal of MAGC wasn't to protect the environment but rather to reduce housekeeping costs. In light of the points devaluation I will also be opting out and will take some comfort that it helps protects jobs.
gcashin likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Montreal
Although the article is about the union strike vote for worker conditions at the Marriott, it has an interesting section on the MAGC option that reports on how it affects workers lives. I had already been considering opting out even though under the Starwood GC program I usuallly opted in, and after reading this I am convinced that is the right decision for me.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0cf7b003be39e
Originally Posted by Saint4805
It was pretty obvious that the primary goal of MAGC wasn't to protect the environment but rather to reduce housekeeping costs. In light of the points devaluation I will also be opting out and will take some comfort that it helps protects jobs.
So you don’t care that you weren’t protecting jobs as long as you got 1,500 Marriott points?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by GoPhils

So you don’t care that you weren’t protecting jobs as long as you got 1,500 Marriott points?

I wrote 'in light of the devaluation'. The 500 SPG points kept me incentivised and I never claimed that considering people's jobs was a major factor in my decision from day one. I am within my right to change my mind in light of the combination of both the points devaluation and the effect on people's jobs. Doesn't have to be one or the other. Have a great day

Last edited by yosithezet; Sep 7, 2018 at 9:24 am Reason: Removed FT rule violation
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I juts found this slipped under my door at the BWI airport Marriott

strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Even when there is no incentive at all, we request no housekeeping most of the time. Rooms simply do not need to be cleaned daily on multi-day stays.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by Saint4805
It was also pretty obvious here in developing Southeast Asia that they couldn't really save much money on housekeeping (most manual workers here are on monthly salaries), so all the SPG hotels in the region basically abandoned the programme at first opportunity a couple of years ago.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I take it every time now, thanks to the 67% pricing power cut of MAGC - thanks Marriott!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mendy7511
I juts found this slipped under my door at the BWI airport Marriott

wow, that's bad. Hope Marriott doesn't tolerate such things.

Sure, jobs are on the line here ... welcome to many other industries. You can wear you charitable head and you decline to participate or you can wear your environment head and participate or you can wear your 'I want my points' head as well. Either way, each of us will need to decide if we opt in or out. The choices are pretty clear.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by cfischer

Sure, jobs are on the line here ... welcome to many other industries. You can wear you charitable head and you decline to participate or you can wear your environment head and participate or you can wear your 'I want my points' head as well. Either way, each of us will need to decide if we opt in or out. The choices are pretty clear.
This has been one of the issues in the strike ... UNITE Here is claiming MAGC is dangerous, seriously. Most hotels are short-staffed anyway so this doesn't have any actual impact on any current employees.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Even when there is no incentive at all, we request no housekeeping most of the time. Rooms simply do not need to be cleaned daily on multi-day stays.
Same here. I’m not a fan of people coming into our room anyway - we always decline housekeeping until the end of our stay whether there’s an incentive or not. Either way it’s still cleaner than home.

Originally Posted by cfischer

I tend to agree - I feel for workers having the rug yanked out from under them, but that doesn’t mean I want this sort of thing preached to me in what was supposed to be a strictly business transaction. Air your grievances on Facebook (or Flyertalk).
freeflyin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.