Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Warning - do not cancel SPG points bookings yet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning - do not cancel SPG points bookings yet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:47 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Received 535K points refund today for my upcoming Sept 27 stay of 5 nights in a junior suite at the StR Florence and Sept 29 stay of 3 nights in an entry level room at the StR Florence.

An incredible deal.
SanDiego1K and pageboy like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:31 pm

Tweeted @spgassist How can I get the difference in points refunded for reservation at a property that now costs less points? I can't cancel and rebook because there is no points availability.

They asked me to DM reservation and account info. Points refunded in about 6 hours.

Note: I tried this same thing 3 times previously unsuccessfully, so try, try again.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:32 am

Canceling Aloft hotel for point refund

I booked a 5 night Aloft hotel in late August 2018 during the transition . Points have already been deducted when I booked online. If I cancel the Aloft (was SPG hotel) online, will my points be deposited in my account or is it best to call and ask customer service?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Best Western, Air Canada, Westjet
Points back at last

Originally Posted by Pointsad
I was told minutes ago that there is no ETA for the points from my cancelled Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort to be back in my Marriott Rewards account. Previously I was told 7 to 10 day from cancellation. Before the "merger" it took minutes for points to be returned.

It looks like they have no clue when things will be fixed!
After several more calls to Marriott Rewards and SPG, my points were finally credited back to my account - almost 3 weeks after the reservation was cancelled. This was the most frustrating experience in my whole life with a rewards program.

The agent who managed to get the points "back" said that he had to use new functionality that had just become available. So maybe things will be better in the future..
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:26 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
points of older reservations are refunded now automatically, it takes some time until they show up but it is working at least....
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Best Western, Air Canada, Westjet
My points refund experience was far from automatic and was much less than satisfactory. After almost 3 weeks, it took manual intervention from an agent who really knew what they we doing to reclaim the points. Hopefully things are happening automatically now and work continues on the system so that refunds work like they did in the past (when points were back in accounts in minutes).
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by pwdump
Tweeted @spgassist How can I get the difference in points refunded for reservation at a property that now costs less points? I can't cancel and rebook because there is no points availability.

They asked me to DM reservation and account info. Points refunded in about 6 hours.

Note: I tried this same thing 3 times previously unsuccessfully, so try, try again.
Did you simply get a refund for the difference or do you see the award reissued?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Did you simply get a refund for the difference or do you see the award reissued?
Tweeted @spgassist with refund request for Gritti Palace for later this week. Calls didn’t help. But one dm worked and points were refunded immediately. I don’t think they reissued the award as there was no award availability. And the SNAs applies are still attach3d to the reservation (same #).
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by jmkclee

Tweeted @spgassist with refund request for Gritti Palace for later this week. Calls didn’t help. But one dm worked and points were refunded immediately. I don’t think they reissued the award as there was no award availability. And the SNAs applies are still attach3d to the reservation (same #).
Thanks, I am guessing you can't see the transaction line in your account? I am still in limbo where the original (420K) award was removed from my booking, but the reservation is still active (also with SNA requests pending) and same #, but new award (240K) not issued.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:42 pm

After several calls I have some stays posted with my points being added and the additional nights being added. There is nothing showing though in both of my accounts - SPG & MAR when I open up the account activity area. No information for these recent stays. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Thanks, I am guessing you can't see the transaction line in your account? I am still in limbo where the original (420K) award was removed from my booking, but the reservation is still active (also with SNA requests pending) and same #, but new award (240K) not issued.
Sorry. Guess I wasn’t clear. We wanted to KEEP the reservation, but get it at the new lower points cost. No award availability. @spgassist was very helpful, and the points are back in the account. No line item, but no line item in activity either for hubby’s stay last week in SF, but points and nights are there. I’m guessing that since this was a refund of points, it was just an adjustment of the reservation and wouldn’t show. We just got the difference in points back.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
DP: I cancelled a reservation last night that had been made back in June for 10K SPG pts. 30K Marriott points were returned into my account instantaneously.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by margarita girl
DP: I cancelled a reservation last night that had been made back in June for 10K SPG pts. 30K Marriott points were returned into my account instantaneously.
Wish I had the same success. I cancelled a reservation made on my old Marriott account over the weekend. No points have been redeposited.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by davidw70
Wish I had the same success. I cancelled a reservation made on my old Marriott account over the weekend. No points have been redeposited.
that's strange. Marriott reservations were not affected by this, just SPG bookings. I have cancelled Marriott bookings and points came back no problem.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can say all Marriott old reservations returned points rather quickly if not promptly. The balance reflects the refund though the activities took sometime to update online, from a few hours to overnight. But I have not had a single Marriott reservation does not refund the points automatically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.