Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay

Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay

Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
SUCCESS!!!

Called into the Marriott line - the agent manually canceled the award certificate that was associated with the old award reservation and the points are back to my account.

15 minutes wait time, but less than 5 minutes agent time to get it all done.
Followed MD/DC Flyer's lead and THIS WORKED!

I made an original 90k per night St Regis Reservation on July 30th, cancelled August 19th and did not receive the points refunded.

I spoke with SPG several times throughout the week and got answers ranging from confusion and being hung up on to wait 24 to 48 hours or maybe 10 days and it will sort itself out. Some of this was even from SPG Supervisors.

Just spoke with the Marriott Rewards line and after quoting the agent my new SPG number and the situation she was able to correctly refund and even book the new reservation for me at the new rate of 60k points per night.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:12 am

I am wondering if anyone has yet managed to do a straight adjustment to a prior reservation, not involving cancellation and rebooking. I have a booking where there is no longer award space and don't want to chance it being cancelled. So far it seems changes have involved cancelling rather than adjusting?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by MaxFlying
I am wondering if anyone has yet managed to do a straight adjustment to a prior reservation, not involving cancellation and rebooking. I have a booking where there is no longer award space and don't want to chance it being cancelled. So far it seems changes have involved cancelling rather than adjusting?
I am in the same boat. Luckily, I have a few months before my reservation, so I haven't been calling yet. I want to make sure it is all clear prior because I cannot afford to have the reservation cancelled inadvertently. Please post if you are able to make that happen.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
I'd try calling the Marriott side of things - it was a common practice for Marriott to detach reservations from award certificate and make adjustments without touching the actual reservation. If the system are in sync (which they seems to be now), Marriott agents would probably have a better chance of doing it correctly.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:03 am

I had no luck, there is no vacancy with points.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:57 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by crsshiplover
I have an upcoming reservation that the points are now lower on--was just told they won't refund the points. Am I stuck at the higher rate?
No, you aren't. The agent did not have correct information. If it is a Marriott property, they should be able to make the adjustment easily. If it is a Starwood property and you can wait, call after you see reports of others getting their Starwood points back. Otherwise, if it is within the next few days, call now and they can notate the record. Keep track of who told you what when.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
YAY!

Marriott and SPG were completely unhelpful over the phone so I decided to risk it and just cancel/rebook myself and hope the points and booking went well. I had the Prince de Galles in Paris booked for 5 nights @ 120k starpoints. I cancelled online just now and the 360k marriott points refunded immediately; I was then able to rebook at 240k marriott points for the same dates.

I hesitate to really suggest anyone do the same (cancel/attempt to rebook) because the IT is still wonky, but if you're at your wits end, tired of stressing about it, and don't feel like waiting around for the hotel to sell out maybe it's worth a shot to just try it yourself online. Good luck everyone

EDIT: to be clear I had made the original reservation on Aug 8
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxbonne
Followed MD/DC Flyer's lead and THIS WORKED!

I made an original 90k per night St Regis Reservation on July 30th, cancelled August 19th and did not receive the points refunded.

I spoke with SPG several times throughout the week and got answers ranging from confusion and being hung up on to wait 24 to 48 hours or maybe 10 days and it will sort itself out. Some of this was even from SPG Supervisors.

Just spoke with the Marriott Rewards line and after quoting the agent my new SPG number and the situation she was able to correctly refund and even book the new reservation for me at the new rate of 60k points per night.
I just called Marriott reservations to see if I could get this to work - and YES it did.

I was transferred to an escalated agent, and she had to 'detach/cancel' the certificate attached to the old reservation to release the points.

I have no idea how they are going to get this resolved without manual intervention. Best for anyone waiting for the points to call Marriott to get this resolved. You may have to tell them how to do it - I had to mention this to the agent before she figured it out.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by pokee
I just called Marriott reservations to see if I could get this to work - and YES it did.

I was transferred to an escalated agent, and she had to 'detach/cancel' the certificate attached to the old reservation to release the points.

I have no idea how they are going to get this resolved without manual intervention. Best for anyone waiting for the points to call Marriott to get this resolved. You may have to tell them how to do it - I had to mention this to the agent before she figured it out.
Good to know and thanks. My reservation is for the St Regis Punta Mita over Xmas so no availability now and definitely not one to chance. At least I have time to see if this becomes more straightforward, though I am waiting to use the points on another booking.

Any thoughts from Lurkers would be helpful on this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:11 am

Was your reservation for a Spg property? And was there any award availability for your dates when you got the refund? I'm wondering if they are modifying reservations or canceling/rebooking. Since canceling does not necessarily release the award back into the available pool, it is important to know

​​
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:35 am

soooo... I called and got my points back for the Marriott reservation. I asked about an SPG reservation that I had cancelled, but lost the points on, and said "i'm assuming you can still do nothing about those?", and the agent said "please hold, we are getting more leeway with this". She came back and said SPG is fixing the problem, but the points may take 7 days to come back. I decided to try cancelling my other SPG reservation online, and success. The points came back immediately. I rebooked at the new lower rate. I then cancelled a couple SPG points reservations in my dad's account, and same thing, points came back right away, and I could rebook both at the new, lower rate. I think they may have fixed it for cancellations from now on, just haven't totally figured out how to get us our lost points back yet.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pwdump
Was your reservation for a Spg property? And was there any award availability for your dates when you got the refund? I'm wondering if they are modifying reservations or canceling/rebooking. Since canceling does not necessarily release the award back into the available pool, it is important to know

​​
Yes, it was for a Westin I booked in July. I actually rebooked online first because there was availability, and I had the required points in my account. Then cancelled the old reservation and was expecting the refund, but it didn't post.

I am not sure if they are able to process a points adjustment. I think the only way their system can handle it is to cancel and rebook. I think it may work if you call to cancel, get them to manually release the cert, and then re-book right away.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
Had an SPG award reservation for October that I cancelled after combining SPG and Marriott accounts. Points lost now and I need them to book the better hotel at the same per night rate. Going on 4 days, and SPG reps said 1) wait 72 business hours and 2) supervisors are saying three weeks for this known issue to be fixed.

I've booked the better hotel using the Marriott advance feature, but patience is quickly running out....
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:57 am

Yes, it was for a Westin I booked in July. I actually rebooked online first because there was availability, and I had the required points in my account. Then cancelled the old reservation and was expecting the refund, but it didn't post.

I am not sure if they are able to process a points adjustment. I think the only way their system can handle it is to cancel and rebook. I think it may work if you call to cancel, get them to manually release the cert, and then re-book right away.
It was made clear that they should be able to do this, by detaching the existing award certificate and attaching the new. This was standard under Marriott I believe if a hotel changed categories etc. But would be good to hear from someone who has managed to get it done for a spg property.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:41 pm
Community Director Emerita

It was made clear that they should be able to do this, by detaching the existing award certificate and attaching the new. This was standard under Marriott I believe if a hotel changed categories etc. But would be good to hear from someone who has managed to get it done for a spg property.
It cannot be done on the Starwood side, at least yet. I had a Starwood agent work on a close in booking with no success. She said that she adjusted it and it would be 3 to 4 days before I saw the points. The booking hasn't changed and the points haven't returned.

I tried the technique above for calling Marriott about missing points from a Starwood cancellation. I gave her the Starwood reservation number and the cancellation number. She couldn't see it. She said only Starwood could work on that property.

My understanding is that the Starwood hotels are being migrated to the Marriott software platform but no one seems to know at what pace and in what order. Thus, there are the occasional successes on the Marriott side but certainly not for any of the hotels where I am impacted.

I had one success. I have an upcoming booking at a Marriott property where the award cert wasn't pulled. It moved up from 10,000 points to 17,500 points. The agent advanced 7,500 points to my account and then took 17,500, attaching that cert to the booking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.