Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee Discussion Thread

This thread is about Marriott's BRG. If you don't know what BRG is - here's the Marriott BRG and here's the claim form.
If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your claim and wish for a second review you may reply back by email or call Marriott's BRG hotline 1-800-771-5665. A human is available at this number beginning at 9 am EST.

If you are new to this, and would like to ask fellow FTers questions regarding BRGs, then this thread is the place to start.

Hotel Name:
Date of stay:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Marriott Brand Website Rate:
Competing Rate:
Actual Approved Rate:

Print Wikipost

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
That is correct. Once a BRG has been approved, you have to make a new reservation even if it's within 24 hrs of your first reservation if you want to submit a new BRG..

The change on matching cancellation policies happened at the end of May. You should drop into FT more often.
But I still can’t work out if the cancellation terms need to match exactly for flexible, e.g exact day and time. I thought had changed it back to flexible vs flexible or non-ref vs non-ref? Someone in the other forum thought it was OK to have different days/times. Any other experiences out there?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by yorkboy24

But I still can’t work out if the cancellation terms need to match exactly for flexible, e.g exact day and time. I thought had changed it back to flexible vs flexible or non-ref vs non-ref? Someone in the other forum thought it was OK to have different days/times. Any other experiences out there?

They're semi-flexible on that! So a 2 day cancellation policy vs a 3 day cancellation policy would be close enough. They're both considered flexible.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:44 pm

They're semi-flexible on that! So a 2 day cancellation policy vs a 3 day cancellation policy would be close enough. They're both considered flexible.
Thanks for that! I’m trying one with a difference of 1 day. I’ll see what happens!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
In my experience the practice is that they compare "rate types" , so even if cancellation does not match exactly they are de facto flexible rates. This can sometimes yield quite good savings since you can play the flex premium which on marriott.com often is very high, much higher than on OTA.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:46 pm

I just got a successful LNF by booking a flexible room and doing the LNF with a flexible room but once successful, the reservation turned into « cancel within 1 day then it’s non-refundable ». Is this the usual practice now?! Doesn’t seem fair if the rates were flexible. I’ve emailed them.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got a successful LNF by booking a flexible room and doing the LNF with a flexible room but once successful, the reservation turned into « cancel within 1 day then it’s non-refundable ». Is this the usual practice now?! Doesn’t seem fair if the rates were flexible. I’ve emailed them.
That's property dependent. BRG, now LNF, is a separate rate plan which carries its own cancellation policy. It is unusual but properties can choose to impose cancellation penalty on LNF approved rates.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
That's property dependent. BRG, now LNF, is a separate rate plan which carries its own cancellation policy. It is unusual but properties can choose to impose cancellation penalty on LNF approved rates.
I never heard this nor have I seen this on any of my LNF rates. Is this written anywhere in the terms?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Totally agree. There were a few rogue SPG properties that did this (Westin Nusa Dua and Element NY come to mind) but they could justify this by saying the competitive rate was non-cancellable. Certainly not the case here. Fight back and let us know what happens.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:43 pm

Totally agree. There were a few rogue SPG properties that did this (Westin Nusa Dua and Element NY come to mind) but they could justify this by saying the competitive rate was non-cancellable. Certainly not the case here. Fight back and let us know what happens.
Old SPG BRG rate plan would pull the cancellation and deposit policies of the SPG50 rate plan applicable to the property at issue. The terms on this rate plan had to be agreed to by SPG.

Have no idea how the LNF works now.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:33 pm

Update: I called them and the lady had to speak to her supervisor but this hasn’t happened before to her. Her supervisor then escalated it to her manager and another department are trying to find out why the non -refundable rate plan was loaded for LNF instead of the flexible one.

She offered to put a note on my reservation that it’s flexible and my card shouldn’t be charged in 24 hours. I said this may not be enough so she offered to call the hotel and check with them. Seems the hotel had the LNF rate in the system and 48 hrs prior to arrival cancellation (flexible). The hotel even sent me an email with the new LNF rate and flexible cancellation terms.

So the whole thing seems to be an issue with the LNF system. They are still trying to sort it out and update the booking in my profile. It was superb customer service from the LNF team.

It was for Singapore Marriott South Beach and I got it down to 208SGD + taxes and service for a deluxe room over Chinese New Year.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...........Seems the hotel had the LNF rate in the system and 48 hrs prior to arrival cancellation (flexible). The hotel even sent me an email with the new LNF rate and flexible cancellation terms.......
So they have LNF rate plan set to 48 hours prior cancellation. Then, that's what you should get for LNF approved reservations. Seems like another system merger issue.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:23 am

It was for Singapore Marriott South Beach and I got it down to 208SGD + taxes and service for a deluxe room over Chinese New Year.
Care to share what was the 3rd party website you filed the LNF against?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:34 am

Update: I called them and the lady had to speak to her supervisor but this hasn’t happened before to her. Her supervisor then escalated it to her manager and another department are trying to find out why the non -refundable rate plan was loaded for LNF instead of the flexible one.

She offered to put a note on my reservation that it’s flexible and my card shouldn’t be charged in 24 hours. I said this may not be enough so she offered to call the hotel and check with them. Seems the hotel had the LNF rate in the system and 48 hrs prior to arrival cancellation (flexible). The hotel even sent me an email with the new LNF rate and flexible cancellation terms.

So the whole thing seems to be an issue with the LNF system. They are still trying to sort it out and update the booking in my profile. It was superb customer service from the LNF team.

What number did you call to reach the LNF team ?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:16 am

+18007715665 but don’t ask how I found that. I couldn’t find it on the LNF page and then I googled and somehow found it. It seems there isn’t a wiki here like there used to be on SPG BRG. It was almost as if they don’t want us to call!

I would rather not share sources of LNF publically right now. It seems it’s not a regular thing on here?

Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
+18007715665 but don’t ask how I found that. I couldn’t find it on the LNF page and then I googled and somehow found it. It seems there isn’t a wiki here like there used to be on SPG BRG. It was almost as if they don’t want us to call!

I would rather not share sources of LNF publically right now. It seems it’s not a regular thing on here?

Nice found! My rate last year was 200 SD/Night inc taxes for five nights beginning of september last year but I think the agent messed up the calculation in taxes that time to my advantage. So it is possible to score a good LNF-rate but you need to search good.
The Marriott team usually did mistakes from time to time due to their rotation in staff all the time. Not sure if they still do mistakes so much these days since I moved all my stays to SPG. The SPG-staff of course never did any mistakes to my advantage but they rarely changed their staff

Originally Posted by kodansha999
Care to share what was the 3rd party website you filed the LNF against?
There's a rule from Marriott to not leave or write where you found the rate so don't do that here please. We want to keep the LNF as it is as long as possible now in its current state (or better -> the good old way of SPG Brg).

Last edited by joakgarp; Sep 17, 2018 at 10:28 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.