Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Released Terms and Conditions for its No Blackout Date Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

I searched to see if a thread for this topic already existed, but didn't find one, so please forgive me if it does.

I read through Marriott's terms and conditions and found that the wording clearly states that if a standard room is available to book with cash then we can book it with points. I think this is great news and I applaud Marriott for this change and for the clarity!

Previously, I believe their policy was that hotels could release a small percentage of standard rooms for award redemptions, but in my experience some hotels wouldn't release any during peak times (I know because I tried to book as soon as the dates opened up for booking but no award rooms ever became available although standard rooms did), however there was no way to prove it because when I would call for help then the rep would just say that all of the rooms set aside for awards must be full. Now that shouldn't be a problem because if we can see that a standard room is available for cash then we can prove that it should be available for points as well.

My only wish is for Marriott to make sure hotels don't re-categorize their rooms so that they dont have standard rooms anymore.

Anyway, here is the policy:
"3.2.n. Blackout dates refer to a limited number of dates when a Participating Property could choose not to permit Members to redeem Points for Awards, but the Company has a “No Blackout Dates” benefit so that if there is a standard room available for booking by any means, whether by cash, credit or Points, then a Member can reserve the room using Points. The following properties either do not participate in or do not fully participate in the No Blackout Dates benefit at this time: Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection
The Dedica Anthology, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn® Resort & Spa, Scottsdale, AZ
Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club – all properties
Participating Vistana properties
Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora, Rome, Italy
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Hawaii
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott - Maui, Hawaii "
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:16 pm

[pedantry mode on]

its, not it's

[pedantry mode off]
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
My immediate thought here is that properties will do what Hilton properties do- they'll have a very limited number of "standard" rooms and then everything else is premium in some way. Some Hilton properties add a few amenities like a robe and a coffee maker to most of their standard rooms and call the room "deluxe", and suddenly the same room in every other way is an upgrade over the room without the amenities. That then shows up as a $10 cash difference between the rooms, but double the number of points for the "deluxe" room as a "premium" redemption.

So Marriott properties can use this tactic and claim there are no standard rooms available, thus no rooms available for booking on points.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mwk190
My immediate thought here is that properties will do what Hilton properties do- they'll have a very limited number of "standard" rooms and then everything else is premium in some way.
Starwood has used the no blackout/standard room convention for at least a decade. Properties don't set standard room inventory unilaterally - they've done in in negotiation with SPG.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
[pedantry mode on]

its, not it's

[pedantry mode off]
Sorry, auto correct did that. I would fix it but I don't know how. 😏
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mwk190
My immediate thought here is that properties will do what Hilton properties do- they'll have a very limited number of "standard" rooms and then everything else is premium in some way. Some Hilton properties add a few amenities like a robe and a coffee maker to most of their standard rooms and call the room "deluxe", and suddenly the same room in every other way is an upgrade over the room without the amenities. That then shows up as a $10 cash difference between the rooms, but double the number of points for the "deluxe" room as a "premium" redemption.

So Marriott properties can use this tactic and claim there are no standard rooms available, thus no rooms available for booking on points.
That's my fear. 😞
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Starwood has used the no blackout/standard room convention for at least a decade. Properties don't set standard room inventory unilaterally - they've done in in negotiation with SPG.
Good to know. Hopefully that practice / requirement carries over.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
The difference was that SPG usually offered upgraded rooms if you were willing to use more points. I can remember a 10k hotel being 11k since they did not have the base room available and only a room that was slightly better, which was fine.

I have experienced with a particular Marriott hotel that has less than 20% of its rooms as "standard" and those are the only ones you can book with points. To make it worse, during the busy season, these rooms were being pre-booked before they even became available to Marriott members (over 1 year in advance), making it impossible to use points on those dates. What I learned is that while each hotel has to make "standard" rooms available for points, it is their discretion if they will accept points on upgraded rooms.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:53 am

Have a question for everyone - booked a standard room rate a few months back and now that the hotel is dropping in points I want to switch my rate from cash to strictly points. I tried this a week ago and the hotel said they weren't allowing it. Seems with this updated T&C I have some ammo, no? There is space available in a standard room since I booked one. Might call back again today and try.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Have a question for everyone - booked a standard room rate a few months back and now that the hotel is dropping in points I want to switch my rate from cash to strictly points. I tried this a week ago and the hotel said they weren't allowing it. Seems with this updated T&C I have some ammo, no? There is space available in a standard room since I booked one. Might call back again today and try.
I would try it if I were you, but don't cancel your current reservation until the new award reservation is confirmed.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
It looks like most Marriott properties are not honoring this?
It should be fairly simple for Marriott to run a search of standard cash rooms and awards, and see that they're not the same???
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

offering entry level room for cash but not points?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:01 am

New Blackout Date Policy

I'm sorry if this was already posted somewhere, but I couldn't find it:

"Marriott has changed its no Blackout Dates policy without announcement."

https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/ma...-dates-policy/

3.2.n. The Company has a “No Blackout Dates” policy, which means that, subject to the limitations and exclusions below, Participating Properties have standard rooms available every day for Award Redemptions. These limitations and exclusions are:

i. Participating Properties from the following Brands may cap the number of standard rooms available for redemption on a limited number of days: The Ritz-Carlton®, EDITION®, JW Marriott®, Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, Gaylord Hotels®, Courtyard®, SpringHill Suites®, Protea Hotels®, Fairfield by Marriott®, AC Hotels®, Moxy® Hotels, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites®.

ii. The following Participating Brands allow only for Points/Miles earnings and do not offer Points redemption: Marriott Executive Apartments® and ExecuStay®.

iii. The following Participating Properties or Brands either do not participate in or do not fully participate in the No Blackout Dates benefit at this time:

● Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection
● The Dedica Anthology, Autograph Collection
● JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn® Resort & Spa, Scottsdale, AZ
● Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club – all properties
● Participating Vistana properties
● Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora, Rome, Italy
● Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Hawaii
● Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott – Maui, Hawaii
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The continual programme bias with former SPG properties having to deliver better benefits than legacy Marriott ones is a really odd decision and one which I suspect will prove to be a mistake a few years down the line.

Marriott has its new market dominance, but it looks like it is going to use it exclusively for cost control and benefits reduction rather than focusing on programme rationalisation and delivering a consistent customer experience.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
"Participating Properties from the following Brands"

and then they proceed to list seemingly every MR brand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.