Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by jeanie
Thanks for posting. I don't like hearing that, but since you submitted a written ticket about it, I bet you don't like hearing this, either.
Thank you and others on this thread. You likely know that a couple posters on another thread hurled personal insults at me over this. Yes, I want the extra benefits. The extra points, um yeah, why not? And I use the 48 hour guarantee a couple times a year. What I want is proof we get the benefits or a clear statement we do not so that we know. Right now, unfortunately, everything points towards our not getting PP benefits.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami
75% Points Bonus and theoretically possible suite upgrades at Ritz-Carlton (no Club access), those are the most important I am aware of.
I think you missed the point . . . Marriott phone reps are telling LTPP they're not going to get those benefits, because their lifetime status only entitles them to Plat benefits, not PP benefits.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by jjj325
The Idea of LT Status means you do not go below that status. Example If I have LTP status and only stay at hotel in a year to qualify for Gold status, my status remains Platinum and does not get reduced to Gold. If I stay 0 nights in a year, I still get Platinum Status. This has been proven over the years. I have to agree with others LT status has no meaning if it is not Lifetime. Fortunately I was LTP Status in both programs and don't have the issue.
I appreciate that is why you want LT status, but the definition of and rules for MR LT status are written in the terms which do not state this. The published rules never promise PP status for LTPP but provide LT members receive S/G/P benefits. No promise is made for PP benefits. You might think LT means you never go below a certain status but the terms do not provide for that. Specifically here is what the terms say you get:

Lifetime Elite Status only provides a Member with Silver Elite, Gold Elite or Platinum Elite status and protection against the forfeiture of Points even if the Lifetime Elite Member is inactive. It does not prevent the Company from suspending Lifetime Elite Status or cancelling a Member’s Account. Lifetime Elite Members will receive the benefits of Silver Elite, Gold Elite or Platinum Elite Members, which are subject to change from time to time as described in section 4.1.
Above and below this the terms indicate how you obtain status, including LTPP, but no promise is made you will be PP or never go below PP, only that get S/G/P status and your points will not be canceled for inactivity. And the word ominous word "only" leaves little room to interpret that there are other benefits unmentioned.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
What I am saying is, you only get the SNA for example, annually, if you achieve the annual nights. But a LT PP who is not making those annual benefits should be recognized in the system when you check in, for higher chance of upgrades and such. If such a thing still exists.

In addition there is the 25% higher bonus and the 48 hour guarantee for PP that Plat does not get.
This. I understand the not getting SNAs if not staying 75/annually. But if PP gets the extra 25% higher bonus & 48 hour guarantee, then yes as LTPP I expect to get those as well - just as I received those under legacy LTP program.

Cheers.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think you missed the point . . . Marriott phone reps are telling LTPP they're not going to get those benefits, because their lifetime status only entitles them to Plat benefits, not PP benefits.
Sorry, I omitted the Lifetime part of it.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Or maybe they are telling us that because that is what they see on the screens. My point is we do not know for sure at this point, although everything so far is pointing to us maybe not getting PP benefits. Nothing from Marriott indicates we do but there are those that are still advocating that each of these indicators may be a mistake. We need clarity.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold, DL Medallion, MR Plat
Getting back to the original issue.

I had 77 Marriott nights last year and was Platinum before the update. (A Natural Platinum as the language appears to be at the moment)

I should be Platinum Premier, but it displays me as Platinum and is showing what I need to qualify for PP for this year.

Lifetime issues aside this is incorrect; and I understand it, lots of other people are seeing this issue as well

Is anyone here seeing PP as their current status with less the 75 nights in 2018?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've seen a fair few comments today from people who got unexpected upgrades (e.g. Gold to Platinum) who have now been reverted back to Gold.

Would be nice to hear a report about someone getting their unexpected downgrade fixed but so far I'm still waiting for that!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@bresnab now that I think about it more I believe my husband's account has both the issue you see AND the lifetime issue.

That is, he had 75 nights last year- which should make him PP now, AND he's lifetime PP, which should? also make him PP.

Likely he will get 75 nights by EOY this year as well, but he shouldn't have to wait.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
My dad was a physician who often said the same about himself.

Marriott never promised additional benefits. They did not encourage people to do multiple stays or hold phantom meetings to make LTPP. The internet rumor took on a life of its own and became self perpetuating where posters and bloggers made claims Marriott never made. The purpose of using the name LTPP seemed from the start to be a way to avoid giving MR LTP the same title as MT LTG in the new program. The fact nobody else was originally in the status level was a big hint the status was not meant to have meat.
I agree they did never did promise additional benefits, but why call her a Lifetime Platinum Premier if she is only going to receiving the benefits of a Platinum, why not just call her a Lifetime Platinum?

That is about the only part that does not make any sense to me.

I have lived through many mergers in my day and the one thing that I can say without any equivocation is that it rarely benefits the customer and almost always benefits higher ups in the company and majority stock holders. I have zero doubt that Marriott is now using its much stronger position to take back from the customer, such is the way of things, but the naming convention just does not make any sense.

The naming convention (at least to my non-business mind) indicates to me that my wife should receive Platinum Premier Benefits as she is being labeled a Lifetime Platinum Premier, I understand if certain of the perks such as suite awards and choice benefits are not extended to her because she has not made that quota but the standard Platinum Premier benefits should apply. Otherwise, she should be labeled a Platinum Premier as that is the benefits it seems that she will receive in the new program.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Thank you and others on this thread. You likely know that a couple posters on another thread hurled personal insults at me over this. Yes, I want the extra benefits. The extra points, um yeah, why not? And I use the 48 hour guarantee a couple times a year. What I want is proof we get the benefits or a clear statement we do not so that we know. Right now, unfortunately, everything points towards our not getting PP benefits.
I think the only evidence of it changing in the T&C's is this statement referring to how at least some folks won't get notified of becoming LTPP until January, although I know the previous materials stated that legacy MR LTP's would receive LTPP in August.

"Achievement of Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite Status is only available until December 31, 2018 and will not be continued thereafter. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019."

So maybe LTPP won't actually get any additional benefits until January?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cjw2001
Same issue here.

Your lifetime statistics

Nights: 1306

Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 28

Years as Gold or Platinum: 21

Years as Platinum: 17
Have you figured out what part of this data is incorrect? It's certainly inconsistent unless you've had a lot of years of comped or status due to a challenge. Even if we assume no rollover whatsoever, 17 years of MR Plat would be 75 X 17 = 1275 nights alone. Then we have 4 years of MR Gold, 4 X 50 = 200 and 1275 + 200 = 1475 > 1306. To make it worse, there are still 7 additional years of Silver status.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by msp3

I’m generally butthurt that I also bought a Tier 1-3 package so I’m out 30k points vs a Cat 9 package, and spouse was at 24 nights ($40 spend away from 1 extra night on the old Marriott card) before conversion so she missed out on old Gold (and new Plat)...
How would 25 nights become old MR Gold and now new Plat?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I have not seen a single Lifetime PP say they were correctly displaying on their current status.
Mine is correct: LTPP and currently PP with Ambassador. It's even showing on the SPG side, with accounts that are linked but not merged.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:34 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by kmersh
I agree they did never did promise additional benefits, but why call her a Lifetime Platinum Premier if she is only going to receiving the benefits of a Platinum, why not just call her a Lifetime Platinum?
The most obvious answer to this would be that a bunch of people complained and they thought this would shut them up for a while at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.