Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Well, this program is dead to me now.

This year I ran 7 or 8 small meetings. What I loved about it was it was almost as easy to book a small meeting room as it was to book a sleeping room. And that's exactly what I did because in previous years I would spend way too much time dealing with RFPs and catering and contracts across Hyatt, Marriott and Starwood. I was delighted to bypass that all with Rewarding Events, and get stay credit to boot.

Today I wanted to start setting up some meetings for 2019 but all I saw was property after property with only the RFP option for every property. Just not worth the aggravation, so I'm out.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:15 am

I try to book at one of the hotel online, but it don't let me select the same day. In the past I usually select same day from 8am to 9am, now with the new system it make me choose for at least one day for example 12/19-12/20, is there any way we can select 1 hours?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
I try to book at one of the hotel online, but it don't let me select the same day. In the past I usually select same day from 8am to 9am, now with the new system it make me choose for at least one day for example 12/19-12/20, is there any way we can select 1 hours?
When I tried it (Mac, Chrome browser), I did not have any problem with same date (March 4, 2019 to March 4, 2019). (No problem other than RFPs only showing).
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by JackE
Well, this program is dead to me now.

This year I ran 7 or 8 small meetings. What I loved about it was it was almost as easy to book a small meeting room as it was to book a sleeping room. And that's exactly what I did because in previous years I would spend way too much time dealing with RFPs and catering and contracts across Hyatt, Marriott and Starwood. I was delighted to bypass that all with Rewarding Events, and get stay credit to boot.

Today I wanted to start setting up some meetings for 2019 but all I saw was property after property with only the RFP option for every property. Just not worth the aggravation, so I'm out.
What I have done in the past when I needed a conference room for a couple of hours is to attach a message to the RFP explaining the duration and purpose of the meeting. In many cases, the room was offered at no cost. Since I needed additional nights to qualify for LTPP this year, I suggested what I believed was a reasonable compensation for the time it takes to handle the documentation for a qualifying meeting. Generally, I found that in higher end hotels in expensive locations, I could get a conference room for no charge or pay a large premium to have it qualify as a Rewarding Event. In other locations, it might have been as low as $50 for the hotel to utilize the GPT. Since I had more planned meetings that I needed to qualify for LTPP, it worked out for me.

Last edited by rny321; Dec 15, 2018 at 8:18 am
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
When I tried it (Mac, Chrome browser), I did not have any problem with same date (March 4, 2019 to March 4, 2019). (No problem other than RFPs only showing).
Thank you JackE!!! also do you know how can i check if I get the 1 night for the room or not after the stay? I got 46 night as of today and I need 4 more to make it to Platinum before the end of this year! hopefully the system will count those night for the next 2 week toward 2018 otherwise I will be screw big time
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:54 pm

Anyone know the time frame it takes from hotel entering it to it showing in your ledger?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
Thank you JackE!!! also do you know how can i check if I get the 1 night for the room or not after the stay? I got 46 night as of today and I need 4 more to make it to Platinum before the end of this year! hopefully the system will count those night for the next 2 week toward 2018 otherwise I will be screw big time
One night or ten nights?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
I have spent months trying to get credit for 3 pre-merger Evdnts with no luck. One in Dec 2017 and two this summer.

I just spoke again with Marriott consumers affairs and the latest excuse was, the Dec 2017 event posted in Feb 2018 and the other two didn’t post till Sept, after the merger so they won’t count at all.

I called shenanigans as A) all of them were booked, paid, and took place before the merger. B) in fact I show credit for none of them ever! I screen shot “Rewarding Events 0” and sent it to them. I should at least have 10 nights even by the “new rules”.

I am not some scammer $800 to Plat with fake meetings. I have 7 years Elite most as Plat with hundreds of paid nights from work travel.

It feels like at this point Marriott just doesn’t want to deal with this program anymore and hopes if they stonewall and deflect long enough people will go away.

I likely will go away along with my trust in Marriott, it is just nothing worth the hassle at this point. I left behind Diamond at Golden Circle because Shang has such stingy, customer unfriendly program. If a loyalty program isn’t loyal to it highest members than what is the point of having one?

Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:03 pm

The points for my meeting have been credited to my account but have been posted as a Bonus rather than a meeting. Points were awarded at a rate of 20/Ł1 spent which I thought was generous, although all I was interested in was the EQNs which I guess I'm not going to get now. Customer service are such a pain to get a hold of as well as emails just go unanswered and I'm not in a position to call them
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:51 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by ethan76
I have spent months trying to get credit for 3 pre-merger Evdnts with no luck. One in Dec 2017 and two this summer.

I just spoke again with Marriott consumers affairs and the latest excuse was, the Dec 2017 event posted in Feb 2018 and the other two didn’t post till Sept, after the merger so they won’t count at all.

I called shenanigans as A) all of them were booked, paid, and took place before the merger. B) in fact I show credit for none of them ever! I screen shot “Rewarding Events 0” and sent it to them. I should at least have 10 nights even by the “new rules”.

I am not some scammer $800 to Plat with fake meetings. I have 7 years Elite most as Plat with hundreds of paid nights from work travel.

It feels like at this point Marriott just doesn’t want to deal with this program anymore and hopes if they stonewall and deflect long enough people will go away.

I likely will go away along with my trust in Marriott, it is just nothing worth the hassle at this point. I left behind Diamond at Golden Circle because Shang has such stingy, customer unfriendly program. If a loyalty program isn’t loyal to it highest members than what is the point of having one?

You can sort of see the whole picture.

A pile of programmers did a backed modification to the Group Posting Tool and released a "update" on merger date. So all the hotels using the updated version of the Group Posting Tool to post your stay post merger is going to run in to the same problem of those extra-10-nights not posting even though the meeting occurs before merger. It's more complex for the programmer to make exception handling (more $$$) like those than straight out modify the Group Posting Tool without exceptions.

The merger didn't go very smoothly so I can't imagine Marriott will spend the time and money to direct their programming team to make a dedicated fix for a very small members that didn't get their nights - besides they also have the numbers of this small population and the meeting revenue they generated. I can say this. If this small group of dedicated members that are missing promised meeting nights brought in hundreds of thousands or even millions in meeting revenue each, I can imagine they are all hands on deck making that particular fix for you.

That being said. The individual hotel that you host the meeting in can help you to some extend out. Like you said, you're a loyal premium member, and I imagine you're a dedicated meeting organizer too. You may have brought hosting hotel lots and lots of revenue through meetings and stays, you can contact the hotel general manager and make a request that they can do. What can franchisee hotel do? There have been previous reports from flyertalker in the old "$800 meetings for Platinum status" thread that the hotel "comped" the affected flyertalker a year of Marriott Platinum status - this happened in 2018 I remember reading. So I can imagine they can "comp" you a year of Platinum Premier as well.

What the franchisee hotel probably can't do is to make stuff up and use their ebonus tool to say you ghost stayed in their hotel for 10 nights to credit you those 10 nights.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even if the hotel were to give you a year of status, I suspect that lifetime nights wouldn't be affected, yet that was the reason many folks here were rushing to hold meetings this year.
xar likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by ethan76

Try:
David Flueck, senior vice president of loyalty <[email protected]>
Justin Biermann, director of loyalty product strategy <[email protected]>
rogo likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by yeunganson
There have been previous reports from flyertalker in the old "$800 meetings for Platinum status" thread that the hotel "comped" the affected flyertalker a year of Marriott Platinum status - this happened in 2018 I remember reading. So I can imagine they can "comp" you a year of Platinum Premier as well.
What does it cost the hotel?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What does it cost the hotel?
Can't they create a reservation on that person's name and auto check-in and out and that person will get the stay credit? They can set the room rate to something like $15/night to minimize the amount to buy the points.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:07 am

That would be fraudulent.

Also, the hotel doesn't know whether the person has already claimed the 10 nights this year for a rewarding event, so if hotels were to proceed this way, someone could apparently cheat and evade the 10 nights for only the first event rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.