Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by CJKatl
We are all waiting for the new T&Cs. Do you have a link?

Members.Marriott does not have "thereafter" in its description.
Here's a copy of them.
aquanine likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Thanks, although I am ashamed at how excited I am to start reading these.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:33 am

BIGGER CHANGE:

Under what is posted as the new rules:
A Member can earn Points or Miles and Qualifying Nights for eligible groups, meetings and events if the Member is an eligible meeting planner pursuant to Section 5.
and a membership can be revoked if a member:

Fraudulently claimed to qualify as a Rewarding Events Professional Meeting Planner to be eligible to earn any of the benefits offered to a Rewarding Events Professional Meeting Planner pursuant to the Loyalty Program;
For most member that would likely mean no ten nights even for a first meeting!

ADDED: We do not know when this was posted or if it the final rules or a draft. It would be unlikely this is not real, as nobody would likely go to the trouble of preparing such a detailed fake, but until the rules are posted by Marriott we still do not know absolutes. But this seems pretty believable.

Last edited by CJKatl; Aug 11, 2018 at 8:41 am
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

can you provide a link for those T&Cs ?
See here.

BIGGER CHANGE:

[...]

Nice finds. I was mainly scouting the Rewarding Events section/subsection and missed the mention of Rewarding Events in the cancellation of MR accounts section.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
BIGGER CHANGE:

Under what is posted as the new rules:

and a membership can be revoked if a member:

ADDED: We do not know when this was posted or if it the final rules or a draft. It would be unlikely this is not real, as nobody would likely go to the trouble of preparing such a detailed fake, but until the rules are posted by Marriott we still do not know absolutes. But this seems pretty believable.
I would caution against cursory analysis of long documents. At the risk of doing what I advised against, I don't believe the restriction is as onerous as you are implying.

"4.2.b. To achieve or renew Elite membership status, the following number of Elite Night Credits (“Minimum Requirement”) must be earned through (i) nights stayed at Participating Properties or (ii) Rewarding Events between January 1 and December 31 of any given year:"

"5.3.d. Elite Night Credit. Members who hold Qualifying Events at Participating Properties also receive ten (10) Elite Night Credits for their first Qualifying Event, and then earn one (1) Elite Night Credit for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract."

"5.4.b. Qualifying Event. A Qualifying Event is an event or meeting that is booked by a Loyalty Program Member who provides his/her Membership Number in the applicable Qualifying Event Agreement and is held at a Participating Property. A Qualifying Event will not include: (a) any booking of guest rooms, regardless of the number of guest rooms, that is booked in any manner other than under an Qualifying Event Agreement, (b) any booking of guest rooms on behalf of an employer, client or principal that has elected (whether through an agreement with a Participating Property or otherwise) to have Points awarded to another individual or entity, c) any booking of guest rooms that are complimentary or barter rooms, (d) complimentary meetings or meeting charges or (e) any event or meeting, or booking of guest rooms by:

i. a government employee, official, or anyone acting on behalf of a government agency or department booking an event on behalf of his/her employing entity;

ii. an employee, or someone acting on behalf of a state-owned or state-controlled entity (“SOE”) booking an event on behalf of his/her employing entity;

iii. an intermediary booking an event on behalf of a non-U.S. government entity or SOE; or

iv. at Participating Properties in Asia, Australia & the Pacific Islands, an intermediary booking an event on behalf of any government entity (U.S. or non-U.S.) or SOE.

For example, any event or meeting booked by government employees, officials, employees of SOEs and those acting on behalf of government agencies, departments and SOEs booking an event on behalf of their employing entity, as well as third-party commercial intermediaries booking on behalf of a non-U.S. governmental entity or SOE does not qualify as a Qualifying Event. In addition, for Participating Properties in Asia, Australia & the Pacific Islands, events booked by an intermediary on behalf of any government entity (U.S. or non-U.S.) or SOE do not qualify as a Qualifying Event."
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 11, 2018 at 9:14 am Reason: When copying some formatting may have changed from the original.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:58 am

Nice finds. I was mainly scouting the Rewarding Events section/subsection and missed the mention of Rewarding Events in the cancellation of MR accounts section.
I searched for "Rewarding" and it was one of my first hits,

BUT...

This appears to be an old draft and is not the current or final T&Cs. In the section on how to qualify for LTPP it does mention that all Marriott LTPs become LTPP but is silent on SPG LTPs with 750+ nights. We know that changed. There are a few other rules we know were changed that seem to be missing from this draft, so it is obviously outdated. We still do not know what is final.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:03 am

This appears to be an old draft and is not the current or final T&Cs. In the section on how to qualify for LTPP it does mention that all Marriott LTPs become LTPP but is silent on SPG LTPs with 750+ nights. We know that changed. There are a few other rules we know were changed that seem to be missing from this draft, so it is obviously outdated. We still do not know what is final.
Isn't that accounted for here?:

Originally Posted by T&Cs
  1. 4.2.f. Lifetime Elite Status Criteria. In 2018, Members can earn Lifetime Elite Status one of two ways:
  2. i. Loyalty Program Lifetime Elite Status Criteria:
  3. bsp; Lifetime Silver Elite: 250 Qualifying Nights + 5 Years as Silver Elite, Gold Elite or Platinum Elite
  4. bsp; Lifetime Gold Elite: 400 Qualifying Nights + 7 Years as Gold Elite or Platinum Elite
  5. bsp; Lifetime Platinum Elite: 600 Qualifying Nights + 10 Years as Platinum Elite
  6. bsp; Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite*: 750 Qualifying Nights + 10 Years as Platinum Elite
  7. * Achievement of Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite Status is only available until December 31, 2018 and will not be continued thereafter. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Those terms match the members.marriott.com description:

Originally Posted by members.marriott.com
NOTE: Members who reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018, will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019). In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August. Beginning in 2019, qualification into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status will not be available. See FAQs for details.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by rny321
I would caution against cursory analysis of long documents. At the risk of doing what I advised against, I don't believe the restriction is as onerous as you are implying.
As I am reading the whole document my thinking is you may be correct. The warning in the first section is ominous, but it references Section 5 which does not appear to have a definition of meeting planner, just the list of who is not eligible. Maybe this was clarified in a later version of the rules.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:16 am

Isn't that accounted for here?:
You are looking at the section on earning elite status in the new program. Here is the section on mapping from the old to the new program and SPG mapping to LTPP is missing; it only has Marriott mapping, so it does not incorporate the change.

Legacy Programs Lifetime Elite Status Criteria: In addition to earning Lifetime Elite Status on the above criteria, through December 31, 2018, Members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under their Legacy Program requirements listed below.
  1. A. Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Legacy Lifetime Elite Status Achievement Criteria:
  2. bsp; Lifetime Silver Elite: 250 Qualifying Nights + 1,200,000 Points
  3. bsp; Lifetime Gold Elite: 500 Qualifying Nights + 1,600,000 Points
  4. bsp; *Lifetime Platinum Elite: 750 Nights + 2,000,000 Points
  5. * Members who achieve Lifetime Platinum Elite Status under the Marriott Rewards legacy requirements by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite Status.
  6. B. Starwood Preferred Guest Legacy Lifetime Elite Status Achievement Criteria:
  7. Lifetime Gold Elite: Qualifying Nights + 5 Years as Gold Elite or Platinum Elite
  8. Lifetime Platinum Elite: 500 Qualifying Nights + 10 Years as Platinum Elite
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:19 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Main reason to change it - since points are no longer a criterion for LT status, one could easily just do 5 meetings a year for $250, get your annual status, and one more year towards LT...lather, rinse, repeat
Would this mean that “elite nights” would probably be more valueable and we should all try to cramp in as much meetings as we can get posted till 17th Aug? (I assume such nights do contribute to lifetime nights)
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:25 am

You are looking at the section on earning elite status in the new program. Here is the section on mapping from the old to the new program and SPG mapping to LTPP is missing; it only has Marriott mapping, so it does not incorporate the change.
That's combined by the fact that the first section (I quoted) is about the merged program, and the following sections you quoted were about the legacy program.

The merged program considers all years at status (Plat or higher) and all nights combined between MR & SPG. The original program rules explained on members.marriott.com for the combined program only had the new LTS/LTG/LTP criteria, the Marriott mappings from the legacy criteria (old MR LTS -> new LTS, old MR LTG -> new LTP, old MR LTP -> new LTPP) and the SPG mappings from their legacy criteria (old SPG LTG -> new LTG, old SPG LTP -> new LTP).

The way in which the SPG elites got a "bite of the apple" (in the sense of being able to reach grandfathered new LTPP) was to add the rule of 750 nights + 10 years at Plat, under which the existing years of old SPG Plat would be counted. That is what made them eligible.

So that's included in the earlier section. There was no legacy lifetime rank above platinum in SPG, hence no legacy qualification criteria for LTPP in that section of the merged program T&C. It's just when the loyalty program merges, it will calculate any SPG account that has 750 years + 10 years at the plat level and that will be grandfathered to LTPP if achieved before EOY 2018.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:27 am
Suspended

The TP for Maldives folks are going in for a big disappointment...
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:29 am
Suspended

There you go at it again...
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:36 am
Suspended

Good catch @phltraveler. Congrats.

I suspect you got it here: www.renaissance-minsk.by/rewards/terms.mi

The page has since been changed and the google cache of it is incomplete.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:36 am

The way in which the SPG elites got a "bite of the apple" (in the sense of being able to reach grandfathered new LTPP) was to add the rule of 750 nights + 10 years at Plat, under which the existing years of old SPG Plat would be counted. That is what made them eligible.
OK, so if you read it that SPG members are not mapped to LTPP but instead qualify under the new rules that could make sense, but we still are not sure if this is the final or a draft and if it is a draft, from when.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.