Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

Good catch @phltraveler. Congrats.

I suspect you got it here: www.renaissance-minsk.by/rewards/terms.mi

The page has since been changed and the google cache of it is incomplete.
Good guess, incorrect though. Found it along with other interesting things on some part of Marriott.com:
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
OK, so if you read it that SPG members are not mapped to LTPP but instead qualify under the new rules that could make sense, but we still are not sure if this is the final or a draft and if it is a draft, from when.
Given the source, if it's not the absolute final T&C, I would believe it is a hair's breadth away.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Thank you phltraveler. As I read this clause:
5.3.d. Elite Night Credit. Members who hold Qualifying Events at Participating Properties also receive ten (10) Elite Night Credits for their first Qualifying Event, and then earn one (1) Elite Night Credit for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract.
The program will issue 10 MPG nights per event AND 1 MPG night per 20 guest rooms (with a limit of 400 rooms) per contract! So if you sign a contract for a five-day event with, say 20 rooms, then you are entitled to 11 night credit. It's funny how having all the facts can change one's opinion. But then this is FT, who needs facts?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
5.3.d. Elite Night Credit. Members who hold Qualifying Events at Participating Properties also receive ten (10) Elite Night Credits for their first Qualifying Event, and then earn one (1) Elite Night Credit for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract.
The program will issue 10 MPG nights per event AND 1 MPG night per 20 guest rooms (with a limit of 400 rooms) per contract! So if you sign a contract for a five-day event with, say 20 rooms, then you are entitled to 11 night credit. It's funny how having all the facts can change one's opinion. But then this is FT, who needs facts?
As I read it, and the other sections (like 4.2.a.iv) that apply to Rewarding Events, my interpretation is that

1) The first meeting (or event/group room booking) alone earns the 10 nights off the bat
2) Every meeting, whether the first or subsequent, is eligible to earn 1 elite night for every 20 related group room booking nights, up to a maximum of 20 elite nights ( 20 elite nights * 20 room nights required per elite night = 400 room nights related to the meeting/event)

However, others may interpret it differently, and the new T&Cs are around 25,000 words long so... encourage people to read it on their own as well.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
As I read it, and the other sections (like 4.2.a.iv) that apply to Rewarding Events, my interpretation is that

1) The first meeting (or event/group room booking) alone earns the 10 nights off the bat
2) Every meeting, whether the first or subsequent, is eligible to earn 1 elite night for every 20 related group room booking nights, up to a maximum of 20 elite nights ( 20 elite nights * 20 room nights required per elite night = 400 room nights related to the meeting/event)

However, others may interpret it differently, and the new T&Cs are around 25,000 words long so... encourage people to read it on their own as well.
Don't stop reading, it does say per contract. We have already seen MPG staff interpret this differently, but then they did the same thing with Rollover Nights and it took a month or two to get that worked out.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended

Precisely that. Plus, the event/meeting/group booking will also earn points, even if not eligible for nights credit.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:46 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Confirmation bias is a real problem for way too many people. It rears its ugly head again here.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:50 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Confirmation bias is a problem again here.

Yep, for your FIRST event such as you describe, you'd get 11 elite nights. But for second and beyond events such as you describe, you'd only get 1 elite night.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Yep, for your FIRST event such as you describe, you'd get 11 elite nights. But for second and beyond events such as you describe, you'd only get 1 elite night.
We will not know until Marriott tells us. Confirmation bias works both ways.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep reading, it does say per contract and not lifetime, year, quarter, or MPG whim. They had the ability to put whatever they wanted and chose that phrase. A lot of things can be very different if you play CSR and stop when you feel you can say no. I see that in many places (hotels, airlines, and others) and have stood my ground until they read the entire passage when they surprisingly agree. I guess we will just have to see how it shakes out and either MPG will clarify the terms by removing the "per contract" phrase and replace it with something different.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:16 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Keep reading, it does say per contract and not lifetime, year, quarter, or MPG whim. They had the ability to put whatever they wanted and chose that phrase. A lot of things can be very different if you play CSR and stop when you feel you can say no. I see that in many places (hotels, airlines, and others) and have stood my ground until they read the entire passage when they surprisingly agree. I guess we will just have to see how it shakes out and either MPG will clarify the terms by removing the "per contract" phrase and replace it with something different.
You seem to ignore the comma. Also, further spelled out in the later terms:

1. 4.2 Elite Membership Requirements
  2. 4.2.a. Only nights personally stayed by and individually billed to an Elite Member at Participating Properties are credited toward the Elite Member’s Elite membership achievement and renewal thereof. Pursuant to section 1.4.e. Accounts may be combined to achieve Elite membership.
  3. i. Pursuant to section 2.1.a., one Elite Night Credit will be awarded to the Elite Member room for each Qualifying Night stayed.
  4. ii. When staying at ExecuStay® locations, every three (3) Qualifying Nights stayed will entitle Members to one (1) Elite Night Credit toward Elite membership status. Elite membership benefits are not available at ExecuStay locations.
  5. iii. When staying at Marriott Executive Apartments®, every three (3) Qualifying Nights stayed will entitle Members to one (1) night toward Elite status. Elite benefits are not available at Marriott Executive Apartments locations.
  6. iv. When booking a qualifying group event or meeting with Rewarding Events, ten (10) Elite nights will be awarded to the Member for his/her first group, event or meeting, and thereafter, one (1) Elite Night Credit will be awarded for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract. Points or Miles may be earned in addition to Elite Night Credits for Rewarding Events.
Your confirmation bias doesn't want to accept that the first quoted terms indicates THEN per contract. Your confirmation bias now is confronted again by THEREAFTER per contract. You want it to be per contract to get the 10 elite nights for each event, but it's abundantly clear that it's 10 elite nights ONLY for your FIRST contract, and then you earn only 1 elite night for every 20 rooms consumed THEREAFTER.

It's pretty obvious and straightforward. You can continue to argue the point, but I'm afraid that is entirely confirmation bias.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your confirmation bias doesn't want to accept that the first quoted terms indicates THEN per contract. Your confirmation bias now is confronted again by THEREAFTER per contract. You want it to be per contract to get the 10 elite nights for each event, but it's abundantly clear that it's 10 elite nights ONLY for your FIRST contract, and then you earn only 1 elite night for every 20 rooms consumed THEREAFTER.

It's pretty obvious and straightforward. You can continue to argue the point, but I'm afraid that is entirely confirmation bias.
We will just have to agree to disagree, which is perfectly fine. Confirmation bias can work both ways. But if I meant 10 nights only, it would say only and be two sentences with a very hard period to separate the benefits.

<disengaging>
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold

It’s definitely not obvious. Seems to be yet another case of Marriott using vague wording.

i think using the word “first” seems to imply “only” but because it doesn’t say only it’s not clear. I would interpret what’s before the “thereafter” as referring to the meeting as a whole, and what’s after the thereafter to be referring to the corresponding rooms.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
i think using the word “first” seems to imply “only” but because it doesn’t say only it’s not clear. I would interpret what’s before the “thereafter” as referring to the meeting as a whole, and what’s after the thereafter to be referring to the corresponding rooms.
I agree with you entirely on this. After the discussion in the thread, I can see how even the T&C can be read both ways, depending on your perspective.

I'm 99% sure given the elimination of rollover, the $3k spend/elite night from the new Chase card, and the addition of the SPG Pro style earn on 20 room booking nights = 1 elite night for planner, that Marriott is much, much more likely to have written that in the "only" sense for ten elite nights for first meeting, but we'll find out in a week or so.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
First meeting of the membership year? Or first meeting that the member organised?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.