Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by RogerD408
My point was, there are/were two different programs under the Rewarding Events name, one dealt with events that included guest rooms so a meeting planner would get some credit for arranging the event and there was a second one that addressed people that needed just meeting space.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, maybe changes made a very long time ago (6+ years ago). The current page and FAQ on Rewarding Events (for the current program on www.marriott.com) states that meeting planners:

1) Will get 10 elite nights for the meeting.

2) Will get 3 pts/$, up to a max of $50,000 points per event. This applies to the meeting room and on related bookings (for related guest rooms, at least 10 guest rooms booked), the points are earned on: Guest rooms (regardless if the company or the guest pays), Meeting room rental,Food and beverage, Audiovisual, Any dcor ordered by hotel per the FAQ provided on the existing program.

These are part of the same page/same FAQ for rewarding events. It's two benefits/different earns in the same program (rewarding events).

Also, I'm not seeing where it says you will get the 10 nights only on the first meeting...
There are no new MR terms and conditions effective 08/18 released yet, and the page for the merged program on members.marriott.com for Rewarding events only states that the first meeting will earn 10 nights.
It does not say "only the first'", nor is any earn rate for elite nights specified explicitly for the second and subsequent meetings, except that it adds the SPG pro of 20 related room nights translating to 1 elite night for the planner, up to 20 elite nights per event this way. Thus, the potential ambiguity on this (as pointed out upthread).

For the reasons I highlighted above (other easy non-stay ways to earn rooms being eliminated/greatly reduced, and the increasing appeal of cheap non-stay nights), I sincerely doubt that the second and further meetings each year will earn 10 elite nights like the first. This has not been conclusively confirmed in either by Marriott, yet and it is my perception.

The main point of my reply to you above was that you posed the question: Why change rewarding events in the merged program?.
My post gave reasons why, if I were Marriott, I would change the Rewarding Events. The way some people are using rewarding events now to chase lifetime status under old MR terms (in some cases, sub $60 meetings, resulting in buying elite nights at less than $6/elite night is evidence that there is incentive to use this program to cheaply accrue elite nights.
(Note that I'm not saying the people doing this are doing anything wrong. Marriott currently offers a very generous benefit in Rewarding Events with the elite nights, and if I had not reached the old Lifetime Plat threshold of 750 nights already, with the merger and ending of old LTP/new LTPP qualification this year as grandfathered only status, I would be booking meetings under Rewarding Events to make up the gap too.)

I don't know if they will ever clear this up, but hope they do make some clarifications. We all will have our own opinion but the only thing that counts is what they do. Fortunately, I don't expect to make use of this benefit, so no skin in this game.

They will have to. I expect this will be clarified no later than the restoration of the MR website/reservation systems on August 18th (assuming the IT switchover on that date goes smoothly & as planned).

Last edited by phltraveler; Aug 10, 2018 at 12:00 pm Reason: typo correction, phrasing
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
@phltraveler, you have laid out your case about why you think Marriott should make the change and your interpretation of statements that makes you think there may be change. What you have not done is offer a single piece of proof that there will be a change. We will not know until Marriott announces the rules for the new program. The facts, nobody can remember which blogger started this rumor and the blogger has apparently taken the post down - nobody can find it now - give me pause.

It is not that the rumor might not be true, but it is important for our own integrity that we are clear about what is fact and what is rumor, even if the rumor has believably, so that FT remains a good source for information as opposed to a rumor mill. I have always relied on information posted here and hate to see posters caught up in what they think should happen being presented as a done deal. You were clear on this, but others have made statements stating the change will happen.

BTW, linked is a flyer for Rewarding Events that has a 2010 copyright. Edition was new and the logo is there, but not AC, Delta, Gaylord, Protea or Moxy. It specifically mentions earning ten nights for the first meeting and nothing about additional meetings which we know continued to earn ten more nights each for at least seven or eight years. The ten years mention is not new.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:16 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
@phltraveler, you have laid out your case about why you think Marriott should make the change and your interpretation of statements that makes you think there may be change. What you have not done is offer a single piece of proof that there will be a change. We will not know until Marriott announces the rules for the new program. The facts, nobody can remember which blogger started this rumor and the blogger has apparently taken the post down - nobody can find it now - give me pause.
On the contrary, @phltraveler did offer evidence: the New Loyalty Program Rewarding Events page at https://members.marriott.com/rewarding-events/.

• Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights when you book your first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.
  • Plus, you’ll earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights you book — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.
That you don't want to subscribe to his or my interpretation of that evidence is your prerogative.

But both he and I both did offer that as evidence and indicated how that is different from the previous Marriott Reward wording. The current Marriott Rewards group/events terms and conditions do not articulate any difference for a "first" meeting as this new wording does. You don't accept that because it doesn't include the word "only" as you've indicated many times. We believe the "first" wording accomplishes the same intent as what you need to hear with "only."

A blogger's rumor has nothing to do with his or my interpretation here. To me and him, it is perfectly obvious that the new program will provide ONLY the 10 elite nights for the FIRST meeting--and no meetings beyond that. You need only; we got the meaning with first.

If it weren't as we are suggesting, it would have stated that you "Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights when you book A meeting." It doesn't because Marriott is going to limit the 10 elite nights to just the FIRST meeting, not a meeting or any meeting.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 10, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
On the contrary, @phltraveler did offer evidence: the New Loyalty Program Rewarding Events page at https://members.marriott.com/rewarding-events/.
The Rewarding Events page does not say only, first does not mean only and it does not mention the second or subsequent meetings. There are no facts there and yes, his interpretation brings in words/meaning that are not there. All we know for sure is one will continue to get ten nights for the first meeting. We do not know about any other meetings. We will need to see the rules to know the rules.

BTW, here is the dictionary definition of first. Only is not one of the definitions.
first
fərst/
number
  1. coming before all others in time or order; earliest; 1st.
    "his first wife"synonyms:earliest, initial, opening, introductory More
  2. foremost in position, rank, or importance.
    "the doctor's first duty is to respect this right"synonyms:foremost, principal, highest, greatest, paramount, top, uppermost, prime, chief, leading, main, major; More
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:08 pm

Agreed (bolded portion above). The wording is ambiguous enough on members.marriott.com that it theoretically could go either way. I would not depend on the availability of Rewarding Events after 08/18 under the current structure where every single meeting earns 10 nights.

The old Rewarding Events page stated that each event got ten nights and instant silver after your first meeting - which was a byproduct of the fact that every single meeting gave 10 nights and 10 nights was the qualification for Silver status.

The new page specifically states that the next first meeting explicitly earns 10 nights, with no mention of subsequent. Is it omission because the second onwards earn no nights, separate from room bookings? Or just pointing out that you earned ten nights after your first meeting (technically true right now) and no changes? Only when new T&C come will we know.

It is not that the rumor might not be true, but it is important for our own integrity that we are clear about what is fact and what is rumor, even if the rumor has believably, so that FT remains a good source for information as opposed to a rumor mill. I have always relied on information posted here and hate to see posters caught up in what they think should happen being presented as a done deal. You were clear on this, but others have made statements stating the change will happen.
I agree, which is why many of us are disclaiming what our opinion is on what's likely, while acknowledging the ambiguity. Truth is, it hasn't been confirmed.

IBTW, linked is a flyer for Rewarding Events that has a 2010 copyright. Edition was new and the logo is there, but not AC, Delta, Gaylord, Protea or Moxy. It specifically mentions earning ten nights for the first meeting and nothing about additional meetings which we know continued to earn ten more nights each for at least seven or eight years. The ten years mention is not new.
The flyer you linked - it says first meeting gets 10 night credits, and then below the silver/gold/plat card photos it generally states that 1 meeting or event = 10 night credits. This separate mention that the meeting or event is 10 night credits separate from the 10 nights after your first meeting mention is not mentioned on the new members.marriott.com Rewarding Events page.

As far as missing brands, your flyer comes from Marriott.com.au, and thus is targeted towards the Australian market.

AC Hotels: No AC Hotels have ever existed in Australia; the first does not open in the country until 2020 in Melbourne. Agreement for Marriott to joint venture with AC Hotels in 2011, PDF is dated 2010.
Delta Hotels: 36 locations across Canada + US, none in Australia. Was not acquired by Marriott until 2014, PDF dated 2010.
Gaylord Hotels: None in Australia. Was not acquired by Marriott until 2012, PDF dated 2010.
Protea: Marriott only acquired the brand in 2013, PDF dated 2010.
Moxy: Brand was not introduced until 2013, PDF dated 2010.

Separately, I would say that the communication with the merger seems less than ideal. The fact that these changes have not been adequately explained to the point where we're eight days away from the combined program and we're still confused as to how certain aspects of the rewards program will work in a little over a week is disheartening.
CJKatl likes this.

Last edited by phltraveler; Aug 10, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler
As far as missing brands, your flyer comes from Marriott.com.au, and thus is targeted towards the Australian market.
While the flyer is on an au site, it includes logos for brands that are not in au, leading me to think the flyer was not meant for just au. AU has no FI, Ren, SHS or JW but the logos are there. And there is no AU contact info, only NA contact numbers.

And I appreciate your cautious, thoughtful approach to the potential rule change.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:15 pm

And I appreciate your cautious, thoughtful approach to the potential rule change.
Thanks for the civil discussion.

It's funny what you can find if you look hard enough online.

Originally Posted by New MR T&Cs

Effective in August 2018, the Marriott Rewards Program, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Program, and the Starwood Preferred Guest Program (the “SPG Program”) (each a “Legacy Program”), that were previously operated by Marriott International, Inc. and its subsidiaries, including Marriott Rewards, LLC and Preferred Guest, Inc. (collectively, the “Company”) as three separate programs, will function as one unified program (hereinafter, the “Loyalty Program”) while keeping their separate names for the time being for certain limited purposes.

[...]5. REWARDING EVENTS

5.1 Rewarding Events

5.1.a. Rewarding EventsSM (“Rewarding Events”) provides Points or Miles to eligible Loyalty Program Members who book and hold qualifying group meetings and events (“Qualifying Events” and individually, “Qualifying Event”) at Participating Properties.

[...]

5.3 Earning
[...]
5.3.d. Elite Night Credit. Members who hold Qualifying Events at Participating Properties also receive ten (10) Elite Night Credits for their first Qualifying Event, and then earn one (1) Elite Night Credit for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract.
That's the exact wording as it appears in the new T&Cs. That seems a little more definitive with the "First qualifying event" and the use of the word "then" for the subsequent statement, no?

EDIT: From another part, same page:

Originally Posted by New MR T&Cs
4.2 Elite Membership Requirements

4.2.a. Only nights personally stayed by and individually billed to an Elite Member at Participating Properties are credited toward the Elite Member’s Elite membership achievement and renewal thereof. Pursuant to section 1.4.e. Accounts may be combined to achieve Elite membership.
[...]
iv. When booking a qualifying group event or meeting with Rewarding Events, ten (10) Elite nights will be awarded to the Member for his/her first group, event or meeting, and thereafter, one (1) Elite Night Credit will be awarded for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract. Points or Miles may be earned in addition to Elite Night Credits for Rewarding Events.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by phltraveler; Aug 10, 2018 at 4:21 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:22 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks, @phltraveler. Apparently, first does imply only, after all.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

That's the exact wording as it appears in the new T&Cs. That seems a little more definitive with the "First qualifying event" and the use of the word "then" for the subsequent statement, no?

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks, @phltraveler. Apparently, first does imply only, after all.
I don't see it that way, but there is nothing any of us can do at this point. Let's kick back and let them get their work done and see what happens. It is their program subject to change without notice after all.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Main reason to change it - since points are no longer a criterion for LT status, one could easily just do 5 meetings a year for $250, get your annual status, and one more year towards LT...lather, rinse, repeat
cruisr and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@phltraveler, you have laid out your case about why you think Marriott should make the change and your interpretation of statements that makes you think there may be change..
Not just that. @phltraveler also pointed out that there is a big trend in everything Marriott to eliminate all yearly major "shortcuts" to "meaningful" elite status. (I say "yearly" to factor out one-time challenges.)

They are getting rid of any credit card giving more than the new Gold status (which is not much more than Silver). They are getting rid of UA Gold status giving more than the new Gold status. They are getting rid of 2 different ways to earn more elite nights with credit cards (stacking 15 nights per year from multiple cards, and earning 1 elite night credit per $3k spend). They are getting rid of SPG's method of earning status through half as many stays as nights needed.

Ie, I can't think of any other yearly major shortcut to new Platinum (or above) that they aren't getting rid of.

Now, obviously, none of that proves that that they are getting rid of 10 elite nights for every meeting. But it does show that if they were to keep 10 elite nights for every meeting, it would be rather inconsistent of them.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
If "first" means "only", does it mean the first meeting each year or the first meeting, period?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:55 am
Suspended

can you provide a link for those T&Cs ?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Not just that. @phltraveler also pointed out that there is a big trend in everything Marriott to eliminate all yearly major "shortcuts" to "meaningful" elite status. (I say "yearly" to factor out one-time challenges.)

They are getting rid of any credit card giving more than the new Gold status (which is not much more than Silver). They are getting rid of UA Gold status giving more than the new Gold status. They are getting rid of 2 different ways to earn more elite nights with credit cards (stacking 15 nights per year from multiple cards, and earning 1 elite night credit per $3k spend). They are getting rid of SPG's method of earning status through half as many stays as nights needed.

Ie, I can't think of any other yearly major shortcut to new Platinum (or above) that they aren't getting rid of.

Now, obviously, none of that proves that that they are getting rid of 10 elite nights for every meeting. But it does show that if they were to keep 10 elite nights for every meeting, it would be rather inconsistent of them.
And no 3 room credit per night like with SPG In the end, I agree with the assumptions above and possibly even the reading of the text, but it is also true that there is conjecture until official. I think enough of us have seen the very careful wording of Marriott mean 2 different things to 2 different people It's possible we won't even really know until meetings start to post.

A bit off topic, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we had some double night stay credits arise from the major shift away from cheap night credits
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:15 am

That's the exact wording as it appears in the new T&Cs.
We are all waiting for the new T&Cs. Do you have a link?

Members.Marriott does not have "thereafter" in its description.

If you choose to earn frequent flyer airline miles instead of points, all member tiers can earn a maximum of 20,000 miles (1 mile per $1 USD) per qualifying event.
  • Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights when you book your first meeting and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.
  • Plus, youll earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights you book up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.
RogerD408 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.