Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Taipei Shihlin Hotel - Taiwan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening August '18. No category yet. Not a lot of info on the hotel website. Will update this post after it opens. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...shihlin-hotel/
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:52 pm

It appears to have opened at category 4. Would love to try it out next time I’m in Taipei. There is also a Courtyard Taipei Downtown that is scheduled to open in December 2018. Better location than the current Courtyard. Marriotts are popping up left and right in Taiwan.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:43 pm

Anyone try this hotel out yet? I'm deciding between here or the Marriott (Since I can't use my travel cert for Sheraton yet). My trip is 2 weeks ago too.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:22 pm

[QUOTE=jdang;30253221]Anyone try this hotel out yet? I'm deciding between here or the Marriott (Since I can't use my travel cert for Sheraton yet). My trip is 2 weeks ago too.[/QUO

Want to check this place out mid October. Pictures and reviews so far look promising.

OT- I was able to use a Marriott chase cert for spg hotel but you need to call spg instead of Marriott to book it.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
I used my Cat 1 to 4 cert this week

Room - we had a top floor room (I'm assuming Club room based on website room descriptions). Room was compact but comfortable and well designed with a small desk/table. There's a large window couch which takes up a lot of the free space. Bathroom is split into two rooms (bath/sink and toilet) with glass surrounding and blinds for privacy to room, I loved the standalone bathtub.

Lounge - evening offering between 5 and 8pm of drinks (spirits, Taiwan beer and Heineken, wine and soft drinks). I didn't eat but saw fries, potato chips, salsa, cheesy chicken, some pastries. We had a choice between lounge or restaurant breakfast. We grabbed ours in the lounge between 7 and 11am (really limited but perfect for on the go - baguette, jam, cereal, milk and fruit). The lounge attendant was really clear that downstairs was much more comprehensive and delicious. There was also afternoon tea listed for lounge but didn't try.

Check in - no luggage help, had to go to desk and ask for trolley. Lady at reception then took care of it. Check in was quick and benefits were already listed.

Pool - rooftop pool is lovely option and looks great. It's not heated but we were there in really high temperatures so didn't mind.

Location - Easy access to Shilin night market and station is less than 10 minutes walk away. Not my favourite Taipei location for sightseeing but we had a car on this visit.

Overall it is a quality hotel although it's noticeable that it's early days.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are certainly a huge variety of Marriott/Starwood hotels in Taipei now ranging from the Category 1 Aloft in Bei-Tou to the Category 6 Le Meridien and W - but also with Westin closing and Four Points Zhong He leaving.

Taipei is not a huge city. The Category 2 Courtyard in Nangang is not that out of the way - it is on top of the MRT and 4 stops to where the W and Le Meridien are. The Category 1 Aloft is a little farther - probably a 5-10 minute walk to the MRT and then a 21 minute ride to the Taipei Main Station (11 minutes to Shihlin - the stop for the Renaissance). So, in a way, there is something suitable for everyone.

Shihlin and Tianmu are considered the older and more affluent suburbs of Taipei. Tianmu had and still has a lot of foreigners living there so it is even more westernized than the rest of Taipei. This is also close to the National Palace Museum.

I personally would pick hotels based on the MRT station given the weather in Taiwan. Anything that requires more than 2 minutes of walking outside in the summer is not ideal for me.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Anyone have an email for this hotel? TIA
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Originally Posted by frudd38
Anyone have an email for this hotel? TIA
[email protected]
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by jimmychang
Thanks! Actually reached out via FB and received a timely response.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Just had a 3 night stay at this property and this might be our go-to hotel in Taipei in the future. The hotel is priced between Sheraton and the Aloft, which is very attractive for this new full service hotel. Lounge offering is somewhat limited than Sheraton but is more than adequate for us. The area is more green then other hotels in town and has a nice resort-y feeling. Our room on the top floor overlooked the mountains and the Official Residence garden, which is a nice place for a stroll. Gym is small but adequate and in much better shape than the gym at Sheraton. Staff is really keen to assist guest with any questions, and I met the GM more than 3 time during my stay. The only "downside" for us at this property is transportation. Bus and subway are about 5-10 minutes walk, which is not bad. But the walk is pretty exposed to the elements, which would not be fun when its raining or super hot. There are plenty of local eats around the MRT subway stop if you are tired of the lounge, and the Shihlin Night Market is only a bit further away. If you are in Taipei just for relaxing, I think this would be a good choice. If more for business, I would still choose Sheraton for its convenience.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This Taiwanese Youtuber did a review in Chinese

Part 1:

Part 2:

Last edited by username; Feb 3, 2019 at 9:12 am
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:21 pm

Recent stay last week and excellent hotel, especially if you need to be in the area. The entrance is a bit tough to find as I came from the Shilin MRT, but take exit 2, make a left and walk 5 minutes until you hit a big street and cross it. Facing the same direction, the hotel is behind the two buildings (you can make a left or right to go around to get to it). Proactively upgraded to a Club premier room on the same floor as the lounge. Platinum offered breakfast in the lounge only which was fantastic for a Renaissance. New GM walked around the 2nd night at the lounge to make introductions and seemed to take down everyone's feedback. The pool is not heated, but large with a phenomenal view.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Platinum breakfast can now be had at the regular breakfast restaurant, which provides vastly more food choice versus the lounge. You can still choose to go to lounge for breakfast if you so chooses. The lounge can get quite busy, particularly on holiday evenings. I am sitting in the lounge right now on the first night of the Dragon Boat Festival 3-day weekend, and the lounge is completely full!
Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:35 am

Understand this is only relevant for local guests now, but in case it is helpful, a few observations from recent stays:
  • We had three recent stays, each time upgraded to a Club Premier room (a top floor room facing the Shilin Residence). FYI, all the rooms are the same size, other than the suites.
  • We have never received a suite upgrade. The excuses have varied; the most recent one was that the suites were open but only for sales, not upgrades. FYI, the hotel only has 3 suites in total.
  • Lounge has reopened as of last month, but only from 1 pm to 9 pm. Afternoon food options are breads and fruits. Dinner (happy hour) options are various items from the buffet restaurant: smaller dishes (sandwiches, sushi rolls, dim sum), soup, salad bar, cheese, cold cuts. Nothing too substantial or hearty, but at least for us, it is good enough variety/quantity for a meal.
  • Lounge does not do check-ins or check-outs, at least not for now. This is a shame, because the service at the lounge is far better than the front desk (or the rest of the hotel, for that matter).
  • Breakfast is provided in the buffet restaurant, semi-buffet style with a choice of either Western style (egg/chicken plate) or Taiwanese style (rice porridge with side dishes). We like the salad bar, the bread/pastry options, and the local tea selection from Cha Cha The. Other selections are fairly lacking compared to the larger Taipei hotels.
  • Late check-out has always been granted -- but we have only stayed on weekdays. Folks in Taiwan will know that many hotels are family zoos on the weekends this summer -- maybe the rest of the year.
These are the points that are probably relevant to most Platinum+ members. Other aspects like location, convenience, facilities, etc. are very subjective, so I won't comment further, but I can answer questions if needed.
unclepants and FQ415 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.