Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR PROPERTY-SPECIFIC EXPERIENCES
This thread is not for discussing the merits of the strike or general discussion of unions! If that is of interest you can follow that discussion in Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
Post in this thread which discuss the merits of the strike or are otherwise off-topic will be deleted, not moved to the other thread.

Properties with employees on strike or potentially on strike appear to include:

Detroit
  • Westin Book Cadillac Detroit By Marriott
Boston
  • Aloft Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Element Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Ritz-Carlton Boston Common by Marriott
  • Sheraton Boston by Marriott
  • W Boston by Marriott
  • Westin Boston Waterfront by Marriott
  • Westin Copley Place, Boston by Marriott
Oakland
  • Oakland Marriott City Center by Marriott
San Diego
  • The Westin Gaslamp Quarter San Diego by Marriott
San Francisco
  • San Francisco Marriott Union Square
  • Palace Hotel by Marriott
  • W San Francisco by Marriott
  • Westin St. Francis Union Square by Marriott
  • San Francisco Marriott Marquis
  • Courtyard San Francisco Downtown by Marriott
  • St. Regis San Francisco
San Jose
  • San Jose Marriott
Various Locations in Hawaii
  • The Royal Hawaiian by Marriott
  • Sheraton Maui Hotel by Marriott
  • Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort by Marriott
  • Sheraton Princess Kaiulani by Marriott
  • Sheraton Waikiki by Marriott
Seattle
  • Westin Seattle by Marriott
Print Wikipost

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Flyers were slipped under the door. Yes, like pizza delivery flyers of days past. But apparently this effort is very stealthy. Security now monitoring elevator access. Reports being collected of which rooms flyers were found and estimated delivery window presumably to cross reference to security video.

Since they haven’t been caught hard to say who is responsible but sounding like an inside job. Received flyers twice in the last three days.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Normally food delivery people are invited, implicitly from a hotel guest's decision to order the food. It would be different if food delivery people were going to rooms that haven't placed orders for the purpose of harassing or disturbing guests who have not ordered any food.
Any many hotels require delivery persons to have front desk staff call room for authorization to access guest floor.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Segments

Any many hotels require delivery persons to have front desk staff call room for authorization to access guest floor.
True, but IME this is becoming less common with anyone carrying a pizza box being permitted upstairs. The verification is more likely in smaller and more upscale properties versus a large convention Marriott.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Marriott Waikiki is completely unaffected. I am not staying there but have a place nearby and walked through the lobby last night on the way out of Sansei. The Moana and Sheraton are still being actively picketed - loud drums, chanting, bullhorns until well into the evening.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Spending some time at the Marquis in SF this week. The strikers are loud during the day. The union "officials" that give you flyers and implore you to "check out" and "please don't cross the picket line" as you walk in can make you feel a bit guilty (these always look like recent college grads or other officials). And housekeeping, maintenance and banquet service is more spotty than normal (you can tell a lot of the workers aren't regular housekeepers for example). But it is possible to have a pretty normal stay, provided you don't need to sleep at 8 or 9 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Spending some time at the Marquis in SF this week. The strikers are loud during the day. The union "officials" that give you flyers and implore you to "check out" and "please don't cross the picket line" as you walk in can make you feel a bit guilty (these always look like recent college grads or other officials). And housekeeping, maintenance and banquet service is more spotty than normal (you can tell a lot of the workers aren't regular housekeepers for example). But it is possible to have a pretty normal stay, provided you don't need to sleep at 8 or 9 PM.
I am not sure why you would feel guilty suggest you go online and look at the TOTAL PAY package they get then you might feel different. we are union construction co and you would be astounded at the total package.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I am not sure why you would feel guilty suggest you go online and look at the TOTAL PAY package they get then you might feel different. we are union construction co and you would be astounded at the total package.
I think the estimate on the total package for a housekeeper at the Hawaii properties including pension/benefits/etc. is close to $100,000.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
One of the organizers yelled “These workers are trying to support their families, you should be ashamed of yourself” to a guy walking in. I was walking out the guy shouted to me “Don’t come back, call Marriott and get your money back.”

I’ve seen this before so I am used to it, but I talked to an guest who was shocked as she had never stayed at the hotel before and was super surprised by the whole situation.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Adelphos

One of the organizers yelled “These workers are trying to support their families, you should be ashamed of yourself” to a guy walking in. I was walking out the guy shouted to me “Don’t come back, call Marriott and get your money back.”

I’ve seen this before so I am used to it, but I talked to an guest who was shocked as she had never stayed at the hotel before and was super surprised by the whole situation.
Again their families enjoy the best health care known to Americans that's why it's called the "Cadillac" plans.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Any news on the Hawaiian properties more in particular the Marriott Waikiki ? Seems there is an opinion that this strike might last through the Holidays which would not be a good thing for anyone.
I’m currently staying at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. The Local 5 is absolutely terrorizing Waikiki in a way that would effect you even if you weren’t staying at one of the Starwood properties. They were protesting on the beach again today outside the Moana Surfrider.

Breakfast was fantastic, they had all the normal stuff including an omelettes bar, but are using plastic plates. I had requested one king bed, but they gave me a room with two double beds on a very high floor.

Usually I would ask for one bed, but I’d rather stay on the high floor.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J S
Arrived at the Ritz Boston this weekend to be greeted with a "Dear Guest" letter telling me that there was extremely limited housekeeping, no room service, no bar, no turndown, no lounge, very limited restaurants, etc. The hotel never bothered to tell me before arrival--even though I spoke to the hotel about my upcoming stay--so that I could have found a different hotel. (Contrary to the letter, they did have some housekeeping, but the "staff" were wearing jeans and t-shirts. The other services were all unavailable.) I felt boxed in by having already paid for the room and therefore forced to cross the picket lines every day.

The picket line is EXTREMELY LOUD and woke me up at 7am each morning (despite being a dozen floors up). You can hear the drumming on 5 gallon buckets from blocks away. The entire hotel has the feeling of being under siege. The only thing I can liken it to would be a hotel after a natural disaster that is just trying to get by. This is not a way to run a luxury hotel.
recovery should be offered by GM or CEO's office

one might also checkout early or not checkin
(and doing either might help with recovery)
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I have a stay coming up at the Ritz Boston in a few weeks. I booked a club room, but from what I'm reading there will be no club if the strike is still going on. So i booked the hyatt as a backup.

The longer this goes on, i wonder at what point they just try to replace the workers (if that's even possible). How long can a Ritz go on with no club, no bar, limited service, etc.? The rates are high like usual too, so I can understand all the negative reviews. I'd be furious to pay full price for what people are describing.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

especially full price on top suite etc with no advance notice after it has started

easy to ask re things like closed facilities, harder to ask re strikes/protests..

sometimes staff may also be told by corporate etc to limit communication
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:08 am

Tentative agreement reached in Boston. Union members to vote this afternoon. Glad to see this coming to an end.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/11/17/striking-marriot-workers-reach-tentative-agreement-with-hotel-union-says/0Q5HMkKPaJPK0Jawr7AeeO/story.html
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Was dropping off a friend at the Sheraton Waikiki for a military ball on Friday, Nov 16. First, surprised they were still having the ball at that hotel given the strike - but mostly surprised I didn't see a single striker at the hotel, don't know if they pause on a Friday night (it was 6:30pm) or paused for the military - but no strikers in sight.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.