Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam

Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam

Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dtremit
Same here -- I was initially glad to see the program appear on the Marriott side, but 500 Marriott points isn't worth the trouble (let alone 250). 500 Starpoints (the rate everywhere but Four Points) would be equivalent to 1,500 Marriott points.

At SPG properties I've generally had good luck asking the FD to confirm the bonus points at checkout, but I'm not sure if the Marriott system allows that.
IIRC it's also 250 SPG points at element and aloft in addition to 4Pts.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:13 am

I've been staying at a Marriott every week this year, always choosing "go green"....never had an issue receiving my points.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
The version I experienced last week was $10 off food bill. So I duly put the green card on pillow to decline service. Didn’t like the look of hotel breakfast so went elsewhere. And the one night I planned to eat I’m the hotel Thai restaurant it was closed. So that was a waste...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
In this version of the "scam", the person surmised that it was Corporate that was intentionally not posting the points from all hotels. Doing that would certainly alienate properties because they would be the ones getting blamed by the guests. Some guests might decide not to stay at that individual hotel because they falsely believe the hotel is the problem.

Also, compare the money associated from scamming guests/hotels out of points verses the franchise fees paid to Corporate. In that comparison, the points money is tiny. It's not an amount any company the size of Marriott would ever consider committing fraud over. The reward is tiny, compared to the risk of losing franchises and the possibility of lawsuits.

I stand by my original point: This is not a scam. It's just poor implementation at select properties.
I am the person you originally replied to, and I did not say corporate was intentionally not posting the points. I said that it's possible that corporate established this program with the knowledge that properties would likely implement it poorly and therefore, a low proportion of the points would post. That in their calculations of the cost of the program, they counted on this poor implementation. If that happened, I think it's still fair to call it a scam. And it's no stretch to surmise that corporate would count on such poor implementation, based on inconsistencies in hotel staff implementing other corporate-wide policies and procedures.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
I am the person you originally replied to, and I did not say corporate was intentionally not posting the points. I said that it's possible that corporate established this program with the knowledge that properties would likely implement it poorly and therefore, a low proportion of the points would post. That in their calculations of the cost of the program, they counted on this poor implementation. If that happened, I think it's still fair to call it a scam. And it's no stretch to surmise that corporate would count on such poor implementation, based on inconsistencies in hotel staff implementing other corporate-wide policies and procedures.
Pretty sure that most locations are franchise, and they need to buy the points from corporate to award to the guest. Corporate would want them to issue the points, as that makes money for "Corporate".

While conspiracy can be fun to talk about, simplest explanation is normally the correct one. This is a voluntary program on the part of the operators, with most likely a manual process to post the points. Manual process = less consistent.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by EWRtoLAX4life
I have always assumed (please correct me if I am wrong) that housekeepers are paid per room...so I get roughly $1-2 in point value for them to not pay a housekeeper whose income is definitely more important than my $1-2 worth of points!!

So on principle I never take the green option (and I'm even the type of person who can go for a week on only 3 towels, no problem).
It would be illegal to pay by room, at least in US. Unless in an exempt job, one must be paid at least min wage per hour, which varies based on location. However, doesn't stop scummy companies from doing so.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 27, 2018 at 3:02 am
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It would be illegal to pay by room, at least in US. Unless in an exempt job, one must be paid at least min wage per hour, which varies based on location. However, doesn't stop scummy companies from doing so.
Actually, according to Wikipedia:
In the United States, the Fair Labor Standards Act requires that all employees, including piece work employees, earn at least the minimum wage. In calculating an appropriate piece work rate, employers must keep track of average productivity rates for specific activities and set a piece work rate that ensures that all workers are able to earn minimum wage.[13] If a worker earns less than the minimum wage, the employer has to pay the difference. Exceptions to this rule include instances where: (i) the worker is a family member of the employer; (ii) if in any calendar quarter of the preceding year there were fewer than 500 one-hour work days; (iii) in agricultural businesses, if a worker primarily takes care of livestock on the range; (iv) if non-local hand-harvesting workers are under 16, are employed on the same farm as their parent, and receive the piece work rate for those over 16.
... and of the ones I've chatted with, they are not employees of the property, but of a contractor so there may be constraints on the property being able to keep someone over if needed.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kree
Whats even worse is when you request to green option, and then they clean your room anyway. "Oh sorry, we can't give you points because we accidentally cleaned your room." They should be giving me double points for invading my privacy.
I always leave the MAGC hang tag overnight then add behind it - or switch to - the DND hang tag during the day. That way there are no accidents - at least that they can imply was based on poor communication from me.

Originally Posted by bsannich
I have no idea how these programs work, but I am assuming that the points that you get have to get "paid for" by the individual property, so they are hesitant to give them up. That is the only reason I can think of that it was so difficult to get these points posted until it was elevated to corporate.
Yes. The hotels must pay for every point you get. I once had a comped stay where points were denied from program services; the Front Office Manager called me and let me know that they charge the hotels for every point you earn from that hotel, and thus because of the lack of room revenue they couldn't charge the hotel.

I assume seasonal bonuses and targeted promotions and such are part of a marketing scheme where corporate pays for at least part of it.

I'm not certain if the rate for goodwill points versus room rate points etc are different from the hotel perspective; I did have a Starwood GM tell me a few years ago they pay about 1.4 cents per goodwill SPG point, but I have to believe these rates are negotiable based on volume of points purchased ala number of properties from that owner in the program.

Earlier this year - the only time I've been eligible for this program at any Marriott chain - the weekend check out clerk at a FS Marriott posted the points immediately - before the stay posted the next day. They showed up as a property bonus and I received an email instantly confirming them. I'm not certain if this is "the way" this property does it, or just this clerk, or all of FS Marriotts.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wow - I have never heard of this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Yes. The hotels must pay for every point you get. I once had a comped stay where points were denied from program services; the Front Office Manager called me and let me know that they charge the hotels for every point you earn from that hotel, and thus because of the lack of room revenue they couldn't charge the hotel.
I think you were told a tall tale. Maybe that was what the FDM was told by someone that didn't know what they were saying. Getting points during a comp'd stay is possible, if they are willing to do it. If you walked away accepting the story, that was less work for them to do.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I think you were told a tall tale. Maybe that was what the FDM was told by someone that didn't know what they were saying. Getting points during a comp'd stay is possible, if they are willing to do it. If you walked away accepting the story, that was less work for them to do.
Yes I know its possible. That's what the FOM called me - he eventually fixed it by doing something behind the scenes.

The point is that the agreements are setup where the hotels are charged for the points you earn even on the revenue portion of the room. If Program Services gets a zero folio or one without room rate, just based on that alone they cannot award points. The hotel can fix it, but it misses the point that Marriott/SPG make money off of selling the points to the hotels.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Actually, according to Wikipedia:

... and of the ones I've chatted with, they are not employees of the property, but of a contractor so there may be constraints on the property being able to keep someone over if needed.
I wasn't 100% clear, sorry. Yes can pay per room, however in the end, in US housekeepers must be paid by the hour min. wage with OT for over 40. Hotel may choose to say we'll pay X per room, however they must keep track of hours and ensure 1)whatever hours worked, and by law this isn't just when cleaning the room, but all hours working, are tracked and
2)whatever is paid out, based on weekly basis, equals at least min wage for all hours worked, plus OT for those over 40.

Thus, they're really still paying by the hour in the US. This is why motels are, last time I checked 2nd/3rd highest out of compliance group under the law. The motel thinks it can simply pay by the room and that's it. It's not really the case. Compare to some countries where a flat rate per room is fine regardless of hours.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:41 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I've migrated from taking the green option to telling the housekeeper that I need limited or no service. My hope is that it lightens her day just a bit.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I wasn't 100% clear, sorry. Yes can pay per room, however in the end, in US housekeepers must be paid by the hour min. wage with OT for over 40. Hotel may choose to say we'll pay X per room, however they must keep track of hours and ensure 1)whatever hours worked, and by law this isn't just when cleaning the room, but all hours working, are tracked and
2)whatever is paid out, based on weekly basis, equals at least min wage for all hours worked, plus OT for those over 40.

Thus, they're really still paying by the hour in the US. This is why motels are, last time I checked 2nd/3rd highest out of compliance group under the law. The motel thinks it can simply pay by the room and that's it. It's not really the case. Compare to some countries where a flat rate per room is fine regardless of hours.
And if you read the portion of my post that you quoted, the employer (i.e. the contractor) is the one responsible for meeting the minimum wage law and the property (the client) may very well be paying by room. I've met some workers that rush from one property to another to make as much as they can in a day. My point here is different people have different motivations (reducing costs to maximizing income to maximizing points). Most times I will forego the points and dismiss or just ask for towels if I'm in the room at the time housekeeping comes by.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by dayone
I've migrated from taking the green option to telling the housekeeper that I need limited or no service. My hope is that it lightens her day just a bit.
What is up with so many people being in their rooms all day, when Housekeeping comes around?

Also, I wish that at my job, someone would pay me while accepting less than a tenth of the service level I am supposed to provide. It would definitely make the employee receiving the benefit lazier and more entitled.
joshua362 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.