FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1908531-spg-lifetime-platinums-can-now-qualify-lifetime-titanium-status.html)

adunker May 9, 2018 9:42 am

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

We’ve heard from many of our members who have questions about lifetime status, especially Lifetime Platinum Premier, and we want to provide answers. First and foremost, members who have accomplished lifetime by the end of 2018 will keep it as part of the new program.

In some exciting news, SPG members can now earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status, and Marriott Rewards members will have an additional way to achieve it in 2018. Members who have reached 750 nights and ten years of Platinum status by the end of this year will qualify. This is the last year Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status will be offered.

In addition, members can qualify for all lifetime tiers through the end of 2018 under the current criteria in both programs as well as the new unified program rules. Members also can accelerate lifetime by combining their accounts in August, because nights stayed at any of our 29 participating brands in 2018 will count toward elite status.

Another way we are potentially accelerating lifetime is counting previous years across both programs. For example, a member with Silver status in Marriott Rewards (25-49 nights) for three years and Gold status in SPG (25-49 nights) for two years by the end of 2018 would qualify for Lifetime Silver Elite status.
Current SPG Plat members with 750 nights and current Marriot members with 750+ nights but not 2 million + points can now qualify for Lifetime Platinum Premier. One of the biggest complaints people have, and it's a good show to have this issue fixed for those members.

Source | Source 2

CXYYZ May 9, 2018 10:00 am

Updated on the official website too:

Achieve 750 nights & 10 years Platinum by 12/31/18
Grandfathered in to Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite
https://members.marriott.com/spg/

myko85 May 9, 2018 10:07 am

congrats to all the SPG LTP!

UA-NYC May 9, 2018 10:16 am

I get a bit of masochistic pride knowing I will now be one of the biggest "lifetime losers", as going into 2019 I will have ~1,050 nights combined (~850 SPG), an equivalent conversion of about 6MM Marriott points...and 9 years of SPG Plat status :)

Can anyone top that?

abk May 9, 2018 10:16 am

It is nice to see that Marriott not only listened but responded in a positive and timely manner.

BillBurn May 9, 2018 10:19 am

I think the congrats are limited to SPG LTP with 750+ nights and 10 years platinum, as they will now automatically get grandfathered into LTPP along with Marriott LTPs.

As I understand it, SPG LTPs with less than 750 nights and less than 10 years as a platinum will have until 12/31/18 to reach those milestones and only Marriott nights post 1/1/18 will count towards the SPG 750 lifetime. (Not 100% clear to me if the cutoff is 1/1/18 or 8/1/18).

UA-NYC May 9, 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by BillBurn (Post 29734368)
As I understand it, SPG LTPs with less than 750 nights and less than 10 years as a platinum will have until 12/31/18 to reach those milestones and only Marriott nights post 8/1/18 will count towards the SPG 750 lifetime.

Mmmm pretty sure the second part of your statement is not correct...SPG nights, not Marriott, will be necessary to get to 750 before 12/31.

dshafiee May 9, 2018 10:26 am

Great news....

​​​​​​Thanks Marriott!

BillBurn May 9, 2018 10:28 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 29734355)
I get a bit of masochistic pride knowing I will now be one of the biggest "lifetime losers", as going into 2019 I will have ~1,050 nights combined (~850 SPG), an equivalent conversion of about 6MM Marriott points...and 9 years of SPG Plat status :)

Did you make Marriott Platinum in any year? Not really clear, but this part of the statement suggests that you might be able to get credit for any years you were Marriott Platinum as part of your 10 year requirement:

Another way we are potentially accelerating lifetime is counting previous years across both programs. For example, a member with Silver status in Marriott Rewards (25-49 nights) for three years and Gold status in SPG (25-49 nights) for two years by the end of 2018 would qualify for Lifetime Silver Elite status.
Then again, that would seem to violate the "must qualify under the rules of the old program only" directive...

CLEguy May 9, 2018 10:30 am

The quote on the site seems to indicate that combined activity does count toward the lifetime status:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019). In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And, don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August. Beginning in 2019, qualification into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status will not be available. See FAQs for details.
Emphasis added.

This implies a few things:
  1. Legacy MR members who earn Lifetime Platinum status in the MR program on or prior to 7/31/18 will be grandfathered into the new LTPP status.
  2. Legacy SPG members who have 750 nights and 10 years platinum in the SPG program on or prior to 12/31/18 will be grandfathered into the new LTPP status.
  3. Combined MR/SPG members who have 750 nights and 10 years platinum in the combined program on or prior to 12/31/18 will be grandfathered into the new LTPP status.
Is this reading accurate?

PTahCha May 9, 2018 10:30 am

From the FAQ:

Q:IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Looks like they are doing a 1 time only LT Platinum Premier offer for 2018. ^^

Originally Posted by CLEguy (Post 29734409)
The quote on the site seems to indicate that combined activity does count toward the lifetime status:

Emphasis added.

1. Legacy MR members who earn Lifetime Platinum status in the MR program on or prior to 7/31/18 will be grandfathered into the new LTPP status.
  2. Legacy SPG members who have 750 nights and 10 years platinum in the SPG program on or prior to 12/31/18 will be grandfathered into the new LTPP status.
  3. Combined MR/SPG members who have 750 nights and 10 years platinum in the combined program on or prior to 12/31/18 will be grandfathered into the new LTPP status.

​​​​​​​Yes - very accurate summary.

UA-NYC May 9, 2018 10:31 am

Originally Posted by BillBurn (Post 29734399)
Did you make Marriott Platinum in any year? Not really clear, but this part of the statement suggests that you might be able to get credit for any years you were Marriott Platinum as part of your 10 year requirement:

Sadly not...I had one Silver year like a decade ago but that's it.

MSPeconomist May 9, 2018 10:33 am

I'm disappointed. When everyone is LTPP, no one is LTPP. Now the combined program needs to create a lifetime grandfathered Ambassador status to ensure meaningful benefits (but I know it will never happen). Marriott also caved and eliminated their 2MM points requirement for LTP early, thereby creating a bunch of additional LTPPs from the MR side. BTW, I lost all sympathy for SPG LTPs (of which I am one) when folks here started the two threads about how MR LTPs shouldn't get LTPP. I also consider it unfair and offensive that SPG Plat100s get Ambassadors in the combined program without the $20,000 spend requirement, although personally I should qualify with both nights and revenue before August.

It's also arguably unfairly short notice for SPG LTPs who could have made it to 750 nights if they had known, but this seems similar to the reaction some of us had when SPG introduced the different levels of Plat without any warning. OTOH, there's more than enough time to get from 500 to 750 lifetime SPG nights by the end of the year. In fact, with nights counting for three rooms, it should be easy. On the MR side, with only one room credit per night, we have 365 - 130 (approximate days to May 9th) = 235, so someone cannot go from 500 to 750 nights using hotel stays alone.

BillBurn May 9, 2018 10:34 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 29734380)
Mmmm pretty sure the second part of your statement is not correct...SPG nights, not Marriott, will be necessary to get to 750 before 12/31.

I would agree with you given all the messaging to this date, however the statement does seem to suggest that nights at all 29 brands will count towards all lifetime status tiers in 2018

In addition, members can qualify for all lifetime tiers through the end of 2018 under the current criteria in both programs as well as the new unified program rules. Members also can accelerate lifetime by combining their accounts in August, because nights stayed at any of our 29 participating brands in 2018 will count toward elite status.
This would seem to suggest that any night spent at any SPG/Marriott hotel in all of 2018 (not just after 8/1/18) will count towards lifetime status using the "current criteria". So under this logic, you can't use pre-2018 Marriott/SPG nights to qualify for LTPP, but you can use any Marriott/SPG 2018 night.

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but that sure seems like what they are saying from just a plain English perspective.

BillBurn May 9, 2018 10:38 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy (Post 29734409)

Emphasis added.

I don't think 3 is accurate. They do not appear to be allowing you combine all Marriott and SPG nights prior to 12/31/18. Rather you will have to 750 nights in the SPG program. The one exception seems to be that they will count 2018 Marriott nights towards SPG lifetime. At least that's how I read it.