Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by damon88
From the new leaked terms and conditions (which could change)

4.3.c.ii – Platinum members are not guaranteed a suite upgrade even if suites are available. At The Ritz-Carlton, only Platinum Premier members will be considered for suite upgrades.

One of the first distinctions between Platinum and Platinum Premiere.
Good find! This is exactly what I have thought about PP being above regular P. I'm glad that I joined 750+ petition. That being said whether you really receive an upgrade depends on many things, most importantly on a number of suites available and particular culture of the hotel -- some hotels just don't upgrade to suites as a rule or believe that an upgrade is just a one room class over your actual room booked. Curious discussion I had in December at Sheraton Casablanca -- FD person was puzzled why would I ask for a suite though she had all types of suites available, from junior to huge two bedrooms. She was adamant not to give me one until she reluctantly asked the manager (at my insistence) who gave it to me in a second.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by supatight80
How do you know this? Experience at either SPG or Marriott? Or hearsay?
Do you know how hotels will implement this rule under the new program? Will hotels continue to give preference to the hotel's top fifty? Will hotels continue like they do now, with Marriotts giving few UGs? None of us are clairvoyant. And those of us in Atlanta know what happened to the Ritz guest who claimed she was; She was found dead in the parking lot fountain. Bottom line is you have no idea how this rule will work so we will all need to find out once it is implemented. Yes, I know we do not know.

And you realize what you quoted is only applicable to Ritz guests, right? So to the vast majority of us who are not staying at a Ritz what you quoted is a useless benefit and given my experience at Ritz hotels having any Marriott status will mean nothing. Ritz gives few UGs to begin with and the hotels I have been to tend to give them to frequent guests of the actual property, not the parent chain.

Last edited by CJKatl; Aug 13, 2018 at 10:56 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Medved
Good find! This is exactly what I have thought about PP being above regular P. I'm glad that I joined 750+ petition.
Congrats then. Happy you got better UG preferece at a Ritz, where UGs are few and far between. You do realize the quote only applies to Ritz hotels as is stated in the quote, right? I do believe the SPG guests who had 750+ nights should be LTPP, but I thought that out of fairness, not out of a better UG order at the Ritz and am kinda surprised to find that was such a driving reason for some.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
You should be LTP immediately when you combine accounts, so you will get most of the benefits you would get with LTPP.
  • Lounge Access: Yes
  • Welcome Amenity/Breakfast: Yes
  • Guaranteed Room Type: Yes
  • UG Order: Nobody is clear how real a benefit this will be but you UG chances are probably just as low with either status.
  • 48 Hour Guaranty: Irrelevant, you already have a reservation.
You did not have to have the meeting, correct, but if you did so to make sure you got the benefits you are really getting most of the benefits so it is not like you really lost anything.
My 2 big ones were UG order and the additional 25% in points. It's a vacation stay where the total bill will be about $2k so the additional points would have been a decent amount. I still find it odd that there is a difference for LTPP and other LT statuses when the programs merge on the 18th.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:51 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Here is one other Platinum Premier distinction I found:

Outside of the United States, Canada and Europe: Smoking/non-smoking preferences may also be given priority, based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary, and only Platinum Premier Elite Members will have guaranteed priority for their requested type of bed and room.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ctb213ctb213
Sorry for the confusion, i was referring to LTPP. I will reach 750 nights before end of this year, but i am still 3 years short of the 10 years platinum status requirement. So there is no way to get LTPP, right?
Not unless you have two million lifetime MR points.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by araknis
I have 400 marriott nights and 351 spg nights (10+ combined MR Gold/Plat. and SPG Plat years). Currently, I have no LT status with Marriott and LT Gold with SPG. On Aug 18th, will I have LTPP status?
I don't think it will happen for you on August 18th.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
someone please correct me if i'm wrong but here is my understanding on ltpp status:

members who currently have 750+ marriott nights & 2mm mr points will become ltpp on august 18th, 2018....

members who reach 750+ marriott nights & 2mm mr points between august 18th - end of the year will have their status changed to ltpp in january, 2019....

members who currently have 750+ spg nights & 10+ years platinum will become ltpp on august 18th, 2018....

members who reach 750+ spg nights & 10+ years platinum between august 18th - end of the year will have their status changed to ltpp in january, 2019....

members who currently have combined spg/marriott 750+ nights & either 2mm mr points or combined 10+ years of either spg platinum or marriott gold/platinum will have their status changed to ltpp in january, 2019....

members who reach combined spg/marriott 750+ nights & either 2mm mr points or combined 10+ years of either spg platinum or marriott gold/platinum between august 18th - end of the year will have their status changed to ltpp in january, 2019....
RogerD408 and rny321 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
someone please correct me if i'm wrong but here is my understanding on ltpp status:

members who currently have 750+ marriott nights & 2mm mr points will become ltpp on august 18th, 2018....

members who reach 750+ marriott nights & 2mm mr points between august 18th - end of the year will have their status changed to ltpp in january, 2019....

members who currently have 750+ spg nights & 10+ years platinum will become ltpp on august 18th, 2018....

members who reach 750+ spg nights & 10+ years platinum between august 18th - end of the year will have their status changed to ltpp in january, 2019....

members who currently have combined spg/marriott 750+ nights & either 2mm mr points or combined 10+ years of either spg platinum or marriott gold/platinum will have their status changed to ltpp in january, 2019....

members who reach combined spg/marriott 750+ nights & either 2mm mr points or combined 10+ years of either spg platinum or marriott gold/platinum between august 18th - end of the year will have their status changed to ltpp in january, 2019....
This is my understanding too, although I wouldn't necessarily best on things working right on August 18th.

In a sense, it will be a downgrade in the middle of the year for current PPs who go from having a special unpublished invitation only status that requires 100+ nights for several consecutive years as well as a revenue requirement. They will now be grouped with those who currently do *only* 75 nights a year, including those who spend the 75 nights in 4Pts, etc.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is my understanding too, although I wouldn't necessarily best on things working right on August 18th.

In a sense, it will be a downgrade in the middle of the year for current PPs who go from having a special unpublished invitation only status that requires 100+ nights for several consecutive years as well as a revenue requirement. They will now be grouped with those who currently do *only* 75 nights a year, including those who spend the 75 nights in 4Pts, etc.
Don't count MPG out quite yet. They may very well develop a new "super secret" level for their top 3% in the new program. PP should not have been used as a name for the fourth tier as it is. Just like in the legacy program, many didn't know the difference. And honestly, those of us that had it bestowed upon us may have never seen a difference as it was.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Don't count MPG out quite yet. They may very well develop a new "super secret" level for their top 3% in the new program.
Would that mean the Ambassador level has more than the top 3% and that some of those people will be singled out as extra special while some that are spending over $20k/year will not? And couldn't extra attention for very high level customers be quietly achieved through the Ambassador like it already likely is achieved instead of there needing to be a secret level? Or if the Ambassador level has fewer than 3% so some of the PPs will be singled out to be in a group that is not as special as the Ambassador level? Given MR did so little with the PP level and that there is a published higher level now with real benefits it makes no sense for them to develop any secret level.

There is no evidence that Marriott has plans for another level and it makes no sense.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

In a sense, it will be a downgrade in the middle of the year for current PPs who go from having a special unpublished invitation only status that requires 100+ nights for several consecutive years as well as a revenue requirement. They will now be groxcet uped with those who currently do *only* 75 nights a year, including those who spend the 75 nights in 4Pts, etc.
Except you and I have each been PP and know there was no real benefit. One of my favorite laughs was the site showed PPs a link you could click to see PP benefits. If you clicked you were taken to a blank page. That spoke volumes.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:12 am

Yesterday I skimmed through the posted "draft" T&Cs and noticed that it explicitly says that the new program can invite people to Ambassador status even if they don't meet the stated requirements. I didn't notice the same language about other status levels or for lifetime status, although I didn't look for it either.
unclepants likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:14 am

Except you and I have each been PP and know there was no real benefit. One of my favorite laughs was the site showed PPs a link you could click to see PP benefits. If you clicked you were taken to a blank page. That spoke volumes.
Let's not forget the anti-benefits, such as the front desk agents who are convinced that PP is lower than regular Plat status.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Would that mean the Ambassador level has more than the top 3% and that some of those people will be singled out as extra special while some that are spending over $20k/year will not? And couldn't extra attention for very high level customers be quietly achieved through the Ambassador like it already likely is achieved instead of there needing to be a secret level? Or if the Ambassador level has fewer than 3% so some of the PPs will be singled out to be in a group that is not as special as the Ambassador level? Given MR did so little with the PP level and that there is a published higher level now with real benefits it makes no sense for them to develop any secret level.

There is no evidence that Marriott has plans for another level and it makes no sense.
In your opinion, maybe...

They did it with PP in the first place, no one had, or has for that matter, any idea what it took to be in the top 3%. It's been long enough the marketing types may think it's a new thing to roll out. We have no idea what they will do. FT is full of speculation. Some comes true some doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.