Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Old May 14, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by schley
So LTPP don't get the SNA's unless they actually stay 50/75 nights during the year? Is that correct? So the only benefits from LTP to LTPP is the 48 hour availability and 25% more on points for your hotel stays?

Not enough to entice me if this is it.
Only if you care about upgrades at check-in. If all is properly set up in the systems/staff adequately trained, PP will beat regular P. SNAs are nice to have but I'm less than 50% success rate with them. I had some of them expiring every year I have had them. In 2016 I tried each 3 times and still had 9 out 10 just expiring in the end of the year.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Medved
Only if you care about upgrades at check-in. If all is properly set up in the systems/staff adequately trained, PP will beat regular P. SNAs are nice to have but I'm less than 50% success rate with them. I had some of them expiring every year I have had them. In 2016 I tried each 3 times and still had 9 out 10 just expiring in the end of the year.
Has Marriott confirmed that PPE will get better upgrades than PE? In the benefits chart, the upgrade description is identical.

”Enhanced room upgrade including select suites”
Old May 14, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Has Marriott confirmed that PPE will get better upgrades than PE? In the benefits chart, the upgrade description is identical.

Enhanced room upgrade including select suites
On this topic the only thing that will be confirmed is you will get what you get unless you are margarita girl. She always gets what she wants.
margarita girl and Canada101 like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I was happy to figure out that I have 3 years of Plat in SPG, thanks to the dashboard (had to google the link for it).
Old May 15, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
I have such a shockingly low success rate on SNAs since they were launched that I pleaded with Starwood to give other options at 50 nights, but alas the other options are even more worthless to me, hence I just assume that in any given year, I'll throw away more than 5 SNAs...
Old May 15, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by d'Yquem
I have such a shockingly low success rate on SNAs since they were launched that I pleaded with Starwood to give other options at 50 nights, but alas the other options are even more worthless to me, hence I just assume that in any given year, I'll throw away more than 5 SNAs...
Huh? I’d be happy to take the worthless free Cat 5 hotel night off your hands!

Old May 15, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Originally Posted by Jaenks
750+ COMBINED nights and 10 years Platinum COMBINED(between SPG and MR) until William or/and Marriott website confirms otherwise. I do not agree with pathway nr.2 in wiki because it is NOT CONFIRMED(10 years Platinum with SPG or MR) but someones opinion/understanding/wish etc.
I absolutely get the combined nights. That makes sense.

But combined years doesn't (to me at least). Let's say in any given year, I did 50 nights with Starwood and another 75 with Marriott, so 125 nights, why should that count for two years, whereas for me, who does on average 125 nights on Starwood, would only get one year counted?

For the avoidance of doubt, I already have my 10 years+ of SPG Platinum and will hit 750 nights with SPG by the end of 2018 (not taking into consideration my 100+ Marriott nights) so it doesn't affect me.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Huh? Id be happy to take the worthless free Cat 5 hotel night off your hands!

I'm not saying they are worthless for everyone. For me it's not worth anything as my travel is either business (where the client pays) or long holidays (where I don't stay in Cat 5 hotels and in any event have complex bookings negotiated directly with a hotel for decent suites at serious discounts, where the inclusion of a free night would most likely frustrate the upgrade). I've been able to use an SNA (back in 2013) to upgrade to a suite where the difference in price was worth over $1500 a night. My annoyance is that this was the exception to the rule - my conversion ratio is under 40%.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: * Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
I absolutely get the combined nights. That makes sense.

But combined years doesn't (to me at least). Let's say in any given year, I did 50 nights with Starwood and another 75 with Marriott, so 125 nights, why should that count for two years, whereas for me, who does on average 125 nights on Starwood, would only get one year counted?

For the avoidance of doubt, I already have my 10 years+ of SPG Platinum and will hit 750 nights with SPG by the end of 2018 (not taking into consideration my 100+ Marriott nights) so it doesn't affect me.
If the nights are combined,years should be too. I am already qualifying to LTP(years are combined) in the new program but if the years are combined also with new 750+ and 10 years offer then to LTPP. Winning case anyway.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
If you met Plat or Gold in each program your expectation was to have one year in MR and one year in SPG, or two different status level years, one in each program. If you did the same number of years in a single program your expectation was to only get the single year in that program. For whatever reason, you decided to only get status in one program, be it geography, a program preference, wanting to make a higher level within the program (PP or P100) or wanting to take advantage of perks without having to start from scratch in another program and were apparently happy with your decision. In the case where your expectation was two different years that is being honored by giving you credit for two years. In the case where you only qualified for one year in one program, you made your decision and previously set your expectation; that expectation is also being met. You still get credit for all 125 nights either way, but MAR is also honoring your expectation on how many years you will be Plat or Gold.

This is not an instance like LTPP where people were being treated differently just because of which program they came from. In the instance here MAR and SPG members are being treated the same with each's original expectation being met.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
I don't think this is about any specific written rules. Rules and laws are worthless without implementation and enforcement. What matters is how FD people would see PP guests in their terminals. Would it be clear to them that it is a higher level? Is Marriott going to train them to give preference to PP over P in upgrades? IMO, it will depend greatly on a region and/or property. PP is a clearly separate level above P. This is different from previous sublevels P25, P50, P75 and P100. There is inconclusive evidence whether these levels differed in terms of upgrade success (with probably P100 Amb being slightly better). PP is somewhat an analogy of SPG VIP level (though not an equivalent by any means). Some VIPs complained here at FT that they were even not recognised at the hotels due to their rarity and poor hotel training.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:37 am

I don't think this is about any specific written rules. Rules and laws are worthless without implementation and enforcement. What matters is how FD people would see PP guests in their terminals. Would it be clear to them that it is a higher level? Is Marriott going to train them to give preference to PP over P in upgrades? IMO, it will depend greatly on a region and/or property. PP is a clearly separate level above P. This is different from previous sublevels P25, P50, P75 and P100. There is inconclusive evidence whether these levels differed in terms of upgrade success (with probably P100 Amb being slightly better). PP is somewhat an analogy of SPG VIP level (though not an equivalent by any means). Some VIPs complained here at FT that they were even not recognised at the hotels due to their rarity and poor hotel training.
Excellent post Medved. I was hoping that they changed the PP level name to Diamond to reduce the chance of confusion.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Excellent post Medved. I was hoping that they changed the PP level name to Diamond to reduce the chance of confusion.
I think this is done on purpose.

Y1 = Marriott Rewards member (No status)
M1 = Marriott Silver (15 nights/yr)
X1 = Marriott Gold/ (previously 50 nights/yr, now 25 nights/yr in new program)
P6 = Marriott Platinum (previously 75 nights/yr, now 50 nights/yr in new program)
X4 = Marriott Platinum Premier (previously invite only, now 75 nights a year in the new program)
M0 = Platinum Premier with Ambassador (also invite only, now 100 nights a year + $20K USD eligible spend).

X4 (Plat premier) coded differently even before the merger. Front desk recognition was exceedingly poor because it was a rare thing ("top 3%") and the name was similar and the status was unpublished. Same for M0, for the limited number of MR elites that got ambassador.

Now all status levels will be published with open qualification (well, other than stuff like Plat 5-Star that's "friends of Mr. Marriott"), so front desk recognition will probably (hopefully?) improve for the higher tiers.

I feel that the Plat Premier/Plat Premier with Ambassador difference was to quell rage from Marriott Lifetime Plats who would bristle at not being grandfathered into the highest status level and complain. They'll probably change the name and increase the benefits suite difference in later 2019/2020 and beyond.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:53 am

Thank you. I would be prefer it is a different name too. I like "Ruby" more. Just colour preference
Old May 15, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I like Iridium, or maybe Titanium, anything other than Platinum Premier

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.