Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mk89103
Is it still possible to apply for the Marriott card that gives you 15 nights in 2018?

I saw the new Chase card has language that the bonus nights will not apply until 2019.
I don't think so - I tried the same (used to have it, cancelled last year, kicking myself now).

Meeting events are your friend
Old May 13, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by dmbfan222
Is there any difference between LTP and LTPP besides the extra 25% bonus (and in theory higher upgrade priority, but that isn't stated anywhere)?
Besides the differences mentioned above, I believe only LTPP (not LTP) will have United Silver status which is very important to me. In the past couple of years, I’ve benefitted from having Silver & would miss it if I no longer had it.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by margarita girl
FYI, credit card nights have NEVER counted towards LT night total with SPG so those of us with 750+ nights earned them with butt in bed!
so does the SPG dashboard not include the credit card nights?

Old May 13, 2018, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by margarita girl
FYI, credit card nights have NEVER counted towards LT night total with SPG so those of us with 750+ nights earned them with butt in bed!
No offense, but you mean for a third of the nights unless you're counting other perple's butts too.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SF1K

so does the SPG dashboard not include the credit card nights?

They do not. They show up in the annual total but not LT total. William has confirmed this many times.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Count yourself lucky, there's nothing at all over here in Europe, not even Amex Plat (yes, there is Amex Plat, but it doesn't provide any status relevant privileges whatsoever).
I know, I know. I wasn't complaining -- it's better than nothing. But Canada is US economic backyard. European markets are completely separate. We had Chase Visa card here even 6 months ago -- now gone for good.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No offense, but you mean for a third of the nights unless you're counting other perple's butts too.
LOL that is a joke, come on - you're insinuating the average SPG LT Plat w/750+ nights only spend 250 of that in bed personally? GMAB.

Not sure why you're so bitter about the general acknowledgement that it's easier to rack up non-BiB nights w/Marriott than SPG. SPG benefit only started 6 years ago. I have taken advantage of it when I can w/co-workers and family/friends, but even then that only accounts for 50 of my 800+ LT nights.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
LOL that is a joke, come on - you're insinuating the average SPG LT Plat w/750+ nights only spend 250 of that in bed personally? GMAB.

Not sure why you're so bitter about the general acknowledgement that it's easier to rack up non-BiB nights w/Marriott than SPG. SPG benefit only started 6 years ago. I have taken advantage of it when I can w/co-workers and family/friends, but even then that only accounts for 50 of my 800+ LT nights.
Agree! Only a handful of my nights have come from that relatively new rule. I’ve been an SPG member since 1999 (Westin before that) and a leisure traveler paying for ALL of my own nights. I love to travel, and have loved staying at Starwood properties & enjoying my elite benefits and upgrades, but my travel has mostly been with my spouse - sometimes solo travel, sometimes with a friend or a family member. Rarely have I had the occasion to need to book multiple rooms. And when I’ve done so on those rare occasions, the money to pay for those rooms has come right out of my own pocket.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travelosopher

Agree! Only a handful of my nights have come from that relatively new rule. I’ve been an SPG member since 1999 (Westin before that) and a leisure traveler paying for ALL of my own nights. I love to travel, and have loved staying at Starwood properties & enjoying my elite benefits and upgrades, but my travel has mostly been with my spouse - sometimes solo travel, sometimes with a friend or a family member. Rarely have I had the occasion to need to book multiple rooms. And when I’ve done so on those rare occasions, the money to pay for those rooms has come right out of my own pocket.
Yeah this isn't even really much of a debate frankly. If I look at my CC spend on the AmEx the last 8+ years, under MR Visa rules, it would have earned me about 250 LT nights (vs. 0 with SPG). Of course the SPG AmEx is better for everyday spend, so even if I had only ever used it on hotel stays (which I'm guessing many MR Visa owners do), I would have still earned ~180 nights from it.

Not begrudging the MR rules, it was a nights bonanza for anyone who took advantage of them (plus rollover nights, plus meeting event nights)...but it's intellectually dishonest to basically say that SPG made it easier.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:54 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
So I have 510 nights in SPG with 14 years of Platinum and another 100 nights with Marriott where I made Platinum in one year back in the days. So even if all of them count I still need to conjure 140 nights out of thin air by the end of the year. This could be tricky .
Kudos to Marriott for listening to feedback and acting on it. I still believe that they should have grandfathered all lifetime Platinums regardless of program and number of nights. And yes, I most probably believe this because it would have gotten me over the line.
Travelosopher likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You got me. I’d say 7-8 nights max of my 770+ nights were from multiple room credits.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
So I have 510 nights in SPG with 14 years of Platinum and another 100 nights with Marriott where I made Platinum in one year back in the days. So even if all of them count I still need to conjure 140 nights out of thin air by the end of the year. This could be tricky .
Kudos to Marriott for listening to feedback and acting on it. I still believe that they should have grandfathered all lifetime Platinums regardless of program and number of nights. And yes, I most probably believe this because it would have gotten me over the line.
Doable - you could book 140 nights of meeting rooms for $1,400 or so, but that's a lot. Or subtract off a $100 meeting room for every 10 nights you can do this year w/Marriott or SPG.
Canada101 likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

+1,000,000! (exclamation mark, but factorial works too)

I don't know about the rest of you here, but all 1,725 of my SPG nights were all my own buttcheeks in my own booked room's bed.

I did not partake in any double elite night promotion, no credit card shenanigans, no booking of meeting rooms or whatever... all 1,725 of my nights were straight up "I booked my one room and slept in it" nights.

So for anyone to say that I only did half (or whatever small percentage) of effort to get to my 1,725 - it's not only presumptuous, but insulting.

Yeah, that's right, I, and many, many more SPGLTP's here are true, bonafide, blood-sweat-and-tears "butt-in-bed" SPGLTPs!

We bloody well slept our way to the top!!!

(this reminds me of the time when I flew 110,000 BIS/qualifying miles on Air Canada in a 30 day span and someone said I was lying and that it was impossible)

(also reminds me of when someone said to me "You are too young to be a 2 Million Miler - it's impossible")

Last edited by yyznomad; May 13, 2018 at 12:32 pm
Old May 13, 2018, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Doable - you could book 140 nights of meeting rooms for $1,400 or so, but that's a lot. Or subtract off a $100 meeting room for every 10 nights you can do this year w/Marriott or SPG.
I have booked many meeting rooms in my life but I think I have never gotten a night / stay credit for one.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I have booked many meeting rooms in my life but I think I have never gotten a night / stay credit for one.
you booked them w/SPG I'm assuming? no night credit with them...it's different w/Marriott though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.