Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 12:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Incorrect - 750 nights MR+SPG combined plus 10 years platinum will get you LTPP in 2019 as an one-time exception. See the FAQ I posted upstream.
Where are you reading that grandfathered LTPP will be given for 750 nights combined from both programs? That's not what the FAQ says.

In some exciting news, SPG members can now earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status, and Marriott Rewards members will have an additional way to achieve it in 2018. Members who have reached 750 nights and ten years of Platinum status by the end of this year will qualify. This is the last year Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status will be offered.

In addition, members can qualify for all lifetime tiers through the end of 2018 under the current criteria in both programs as well as the new unified program rules. Members also can accelerate lifetime by combining their accounts in August, because nights stayed at any of our 29 participating brands in 2018 will count toward elite status.

Another way we are potentially accelerating lifetime is counting previous years across both programs. For example, a member with Silver status in Marriott Rewards (25-49 nights) for three years and Gold status in SPG (25-49 nights) for two years by the end of 2018 would qualify for Lifetime Silver Elite status.
Read this carefully. It says "Members also can accelerate lifetime by combining their accounts in August, because nights stayed at any of our 29 participating brands in 2018 will count toward elite status." This only refers to combined nights earned in 2018 not prior to 2018.

Also from the Website FAQ:

In August, we’ll have three Lifetime Elite tiers, each with its own nights and Elite tenure thresholds. Once you achieve a Lifetime Elite tier, you’ll never go below it, and your points will never expire. If you have previously achieved Lifetime Elite status in Rewards or SPG, we will honor that Lifetime Elite status in the new program (see below). In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. Members will have until year-end 2018 to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status thresholds to be grandfathered in at the previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG.
This clearly states that you can combine nights to achieve lifetime status in the NEW combined program (a program in which LTPP does not exist), not the legacy programs. The only publicly stated way you can be grandfathered is to achieve LTPP status in the legacy program under the legacy requirements, not the new one.

That said, I think all the confusion comes from the first paragraph:

In some exciting news, SPG members can now earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status, and Marriott Rewards members will have an additional way to achieve it in 2018. Members who have reached 750 nights and ten years of Platinum status by the end of this year will qualify. This is the last year Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status will be offered.
What they don't clearly state is whether it is combined 750 nights or just 750 nights in one legacy program, but since they make it pretty clear elsewhere that you have to qualify for LTPP under the "legacy requirements" it sure seems that you will need 750 nights in one program or the other, not combined, to get LTPP.

I guess we will hopefully get a clarification on this shortly so no use debating it further, but I think people with only 750 combined nights shouldn't get their hopes up until there's official clarification.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:34 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by PTahCha
You will need an additional 150 nights by end of 12/31/18, assuming you'll requalify for 1 more year of platinum (well, with 150 nights, you'll even get Ambassador with sufficient spend).
I am in the mid 600 range. I am also thinking if I should do a mattress run. It's kind of expensive doing one for 100 nights... Wished that they didn't do a mid-year switch. An extra year would really ease things for me.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yeah, looks like thepointsguy is wrong. Starwood Lurker in the program merger sticky master also indicates combining counts for LTPP.
LIFETIME

Based on member response, we’re adding more flexibility for Lifetime Platinum Premier qualification. Now, SPG and Rewards members who achieve 750 nights and 10 years of Platinum status by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into that Lifetime tier, which starting in 2019 will no longer be available to earn. Rewards members can also qualify under the current criteria (750 nights + 2M points) through year end.

As we shared previously, members can also qualify for all other Lifetime tiers through both the new criteria on an ongoing basis and under the current criteria through December 31, 2018. And remember, we’ll combine lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August.
I would agree that Starwood Lurker's post clearly states that you can combine nights to achieve lifetime status. However it doesn't clearly address the grandfathered LTPP issue. Marriott has been consistent since the announcement that you will be able to combine nights to achieve lifetime status in the NEW program. What they haven't clearly stated is that you can combine nights to achieve grandfathered LTPP under the legacy programs. In fact, they have consistently used language that suggests you won't be able to use combined nights across the programs. They really need to clear that up as it would be a simple clarification and save people from a lot of confusion.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BillBurn
Where are you reading that grandfathered LTPP will be given for 750 nights combined from both programs? That's not what the FAQ says.
Well the members.marriott.com site now says:
NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019). In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And, don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August. Beginning in 2019, qualification into Lifetime Platinum
This does seem to be pretty clear that you combine accounts in August and then (1st sentence) having 750/10 you will be LTPPE.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
It does seem like you can combine to earn LTPPE via 750/10.
But what about combining to earn LTPPE via 2MM points+750 nights?
Old May 9, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
I got what I asked for, in a sense (I asked that lifetime SPG elites be considered against legacy MR criteria for old LTP [750 nights + 2M points] against their combined [MR + SPG] account criteria). This seems to have achieved a fairness in that sense.

I question the dropping of the points requirement as it will elevate some in the MR program who were able to boost their night history via rewarding events (10 nights/1 meeting) to a higher level of status.

I think this is still the lesser evil between allowing SPG elites to qualify for old LTP/new LTPP sans point requirement vs. disqualifying old SPG elites entirely from it and only considering individual historical loyalty account activity.

Welcome to all who spoke up - you got what you sought :-)
Old May 9, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Well the members.marriott.com site now says:

This does seem to be pretty clear that you combine accounts in August and then (1st sentence) having 750/10 you will be LTPPE.
Giving this a bit more thought, the key here is what is to be considered on December 31, 2018.

1. Accounts will be combined in August 2018.
2. If LTP 750 is to be looked at up until and including December 31, 2018, and by December 31, 2018, the accounts will already be combined, it means just one simple total number for LT totals.

So aside from any super explicit wording (which I agree with @BillBurn doesn't really exist), it does make sense that combined accounts (where neither solely meet a LTP 750 requirement) would also be grandfathered into LTPP.

Even though I easily make the grandfathering requirement as SPG 1,725 with at least 10 years at 100+ nights, I'm not totally sure why I care about the combined requirement. I guess I'm rooting for those who would be at 10 years/750 nights under the combined program by December 31, 2018.

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Could not find the 3rd option(combined) confirmation anywhere. I do have by the end of the year more than 900 nights combined(if needed can do 750+ solely with MR) and currently 6 years SPG Platinum and 3 years MR Platinum. By the end of the year I could easily make 7 years as SPG Platinum and 4 years as MR Platinum(before August 1st). So, I might get LTPPE if combined nights and Platinum years be 750+ / 10?
Yes don't be concerned you will be in. Welcome to the new Club. "Freeloading LTPP"

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I read it as point requirements dropped. Just need 750 nights in either or combined and a combined 10 years Platinum with a possible duplicate year or 2 across both Programs as Platinum.
Unfortunate that they dropped the points requirement for Marriott members but not the years requirement for SPG members. Someone will always complain though!
Old May 9, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by yvr76
Unfortunate that they dropped the points requirement for Marriott members but not the years requirement for SPG members. Someone will always complain though!
But the point requirement is only dropped if the MR member made 10+ years of Platinum. That seems somewhat fair, since if somebody was truly chasing LTP with MR they would have been chasing the 2million points, and somebody at SPG would have been chasing 10years of platinum.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by yvr76
Don't they need to honor the points requirement for Marriott under legacy rules?
Old May 9, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
As a long time SPG member with close to 1200 nights and 13 years of Platinum, this really excites me. Also, glad to know that Marriott leadership is willing to listen to their "new" most loyal customer base and react accordingly.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Yes don't be concerned you will be in. Welcome to the new Club. "Freeloading LTPP"
Thx! I asked Starwood Lurker to confirm it.
SF1K likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Great news...... I'm 459 SPG and 80 Marriott..... hmmmmm do I do an epic mattress run from 539 to 750??????? 211 to go.....

I need someone to explain this Meeting scheme to get 10 nights for a meeting?

I can get the Marriott CC for 15 more nights.

Then maybe use points at category 1 hotels....... even for 3 rooms at SPG properties.

What else???????
Old May 9, 2018, 2:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
It does seem like you can combine to earn LTPPE via 750/10.
But what about combining to earn LTPPE via 2MM points+750 nights?
Yes - also in the FAQ.

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.