Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yesterday I skimmed through the posted "draft" T&Cs and noticed that it explicitly says that the new program can invite people to Ambassador status even if they don't meet the stated requirements. I didn't notice the same language about other status levels or for lifetime status, although I didn't look for it either.
No different than UA GS, AA CK, etc...you can make it with generally established spend (~$40-50K on those airlines), established credentials (100 nights + $20K spend for Marriott), or just be an influencer and give it to them.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Congrats then. Happy you got better UG preferece at a Ritz, where UGs are few and far between. You do realize the quote only applies to Ritz hotels as is stated in the quote, right? I do believe the SPG guests who had 750+ nights should be LTPP, but I thought that out of fairness, not out of a better UG order at the Ritz and am kinda surprised to find that was such a driving reason for some.
I think the posters commenting on it were more referring to the fact that it's could be an indication that PP will have priority over P elsewhere also, and aren't necessarily excited about the rare possibility for an UG at Ritz Carlton.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Regarding the 10+ years of being Platinum to qualify for the 750+ nights combined SPG/MR qualification option, does it matter if some of those years were as SPG lifetime platinum? I've been SPG Platinum since 2002, and I think over 10 of those years it was outright earned, but I am not 100% sure how many were lifetime years only.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Regarding the 10+ years of being Platinum to qualify for the 750+ nights combined SPG/MR qualification option, does it matter if some of those years were as SPG lifetime platinum? I've been SPG Platinum since 2002, and I think over 10 of those years it was outright earned, but I am not 100% sure how many were lifetime years only.
Do you have 750+ nights combined between SPG and MR? If so you have nothing to worry about.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:30 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
By definition if you are SPG Lifetime Platinum you have at least 10 earned years.

So as a LT SPG Platinum- if you also have 750+ nights you are LTPP
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SPG didn't introduce lifetime status until about 2012, when the different levels of Plat were intorduced, rso how could you have been lifetime Plat since 2002? OTOH, SPG lifetime Plat has always required ten Plat years (earned) and 500 nights.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Awesome. Thanks! I'm good. I'll be at 750 combined by the end of the year.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by Medved
Good find! This is exactly what I have thought about PP being above regular P. I'm glad that I joined 750+ petition. That being said whether you really receive an upgrade depends on many things, most importantly on a number of suites available and particular culture of the hotel -- some hotels just don't upgrade to suites as a rule or believe that an upgrade is just a one room class over your actual room booked. Curious discussion I had in December at Sheraton Casablanca -- FD person was puzzled why would I ask for a suite though she had all types of suites available, from junior to huge two bedrooms. She was adamant not to give me one until she reluctantly asked the manager (at my insistence) who gave it to me in a second.
So platinum premier members are eligible for suite upgrades at Ritz Carltons? Also, how are suite night awards handled at Ritz Carltons? Does anyone know if they are accepted by Ritz Carltons?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
From the new leaked terms and conditions (which could change)

4.3.c.ii – Platinum members are not guaranteed a suite upgrade even if suites are available. At The Ritz-Carlton, only Platinum Premier members will be considered for suite upgrades.

One of the first distinctions between Platinum and Platinum Premiere.
Having experienced Marriott Platinum and Platinum Premier via the wife's status and from hearing my wife's experiences dating back to when she first became a Platinum, simply because one is entitled to a upgrade does not actually mean that one will get the upgrade.

We have stayed a few Ritz Carlton properties and have always been turned down for any sort of upgrade, even when she said well about a better view, yep nothing and I do not see any reason why that will change with the new program. Starwood always gave better upgrades, some of their properties were in worse condition than most Marriott. In fact, the one place where Marriott truly excels is keeping their properties in excellent condition and uniformity among their brands.

Maybe Platinum Premier will actually make a difference, anything is possible, I just do not see it happening.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh
Having experienced Marriott Platinum and Platinum Premier via the wife's status and from hearing my wife's experiences dating back to when she first became a Platinum, simply because one is entitled to a upgrade does not actually mean that one will get the upgrade.

We have stayed a few Ritz Carlton properties and have always been turned down for any sort of upgrade, even when she said well about a better view, yep nothing and I do not see any reason why that will change with the new program. Starwood always gave better upgrades, some of their properties were in worse condition than most Marriott. In fact, the one place where Marriott truly excels is keeping their properties in excellent condition and uniformity among their brands.

Maybe Platinum Premier will actually make a difference, anything is possible, I just do not see it happening.
Have you tried to use suite upgrade awards at Ritz Carltons? Do you know if they have been accepted there or will be accepted there in the future?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
Have you tried to use suite upgrade awards at Ritz Carltons? Do you know if they have been accepted there or will be accepted there in the future?
Until tomorrow suite upgrade awards didn't exist for Marriott/Ritz properties...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by davidsc111
Until tomorrow suite upgrade awards didn't exist for Marriott/Ritz properties...
Didn't realize that. Do you know if they will be honored at Ritz Carltons starting tomorrow? Seems like the Suite Night Awards may the be the only way to upgrade at RCs. They are routinely accepted at St. Regis hotels, so would seem strange if not honored at RC.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Didn't realize that. Do you know if they will be honored at Ritz Carltons starting tomorrow? Seems like the Suite Night Awards may the be the only way to upgrade at RCs. They are routinely accepted at St. Regis hotels, so would seem strange if not honored at RC.
Not strange at all, since RC doesn't participate much in MR.

However, IIRC the T&Cs say that suite upgrades are permitted at RC, although I believe only for PPs.

Regardless, we won't get lounge access at RCs unless we pick rates that include the lounge, typically about $100 extra per person per night.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not strange at all, since RC doesn't participate much in MR.

However, IIRC the T&Cs say that suite upgrades are permitted at RC, although I believe only for PPs.

Regardless, we won't get lounge access at RCs unless we pick rates that include the lounge, typically about $100 extra per person per night.
Thanks. Do you know if such suite upgrades are just the based upon availability at check-in types or strictly using the suite night award certificates?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Thanks. Do you know if such suite upgrades are just the based upon availability at check-in types or strictly using the suite night award certificates?
SNAs should be considered a "Black Art". You can request their use anytime after making a booking. The system (uncontrolled by the program or the property) will start looking at your request and trying to match it up with available inventory the property has placed in the SNA pool (which is also invisible). And if the requested upgrade type is available for the duration of your stay then you will be notified. Posts have been made that SNAs may go away prior to your arrival. Seems typically Plats get upgraded at check in (non RC properties) when SNAs are being denied. I see it as a crap shoot and as long as you are not at a popular property during prime season, then there is a "chance" the SNA will go through. Some have experience in selecting those properties that offer up SNA upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.