Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Except it’s not a 25% bonus. A PE member will earn 150% points, whereas a PPE will earn 175% points. So that’s less than 17% bonus. If you aren’t staying enough to earn PPE, then that won’t amount to many points. The 48 hr booking benefit is only valuable for people staying on OPM as I’m not sure many are interested in paying rack rate. I’ll concede that UA Silver might be useful for someone without UA status but that’s an awfully low tier. My point is that the difference between the 2 tiers is so small that I can’t see the justification for paying thousands of dollars to achieve it.
OK, 17% bonus. Still happy to have it. I agree, I wouldn't chase this tier to get it - but in my case (and many others) we will be provided it due to our prior loyalty. So we'll take it. I've only a 48 hr guarantee 1x in my life, but it was quite needed when I did. So clearly not the most used benefit but if/when you ever need it you'll be thankful to have it. Anyway, I'm not arguing this is the best tier in the world. I was simply saying disappointed seems strong to me - I understand the tier and it's better than the one beneath it. So hard to see how someone would be disappointed. Unless of course, as you point out - you are spending thousands solely to attain it. In that case, I'd struggle to understand why you're attempting to do so (and would agree with you).
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
So hard to see how someone would be disappointed. Unless of course, as you point out - you are spending thousands solely to attain it. In that case, I'd struggle to understand why you're attempting to do so (and would agree with you).
BINGO!

I have never used the 48 hr booking benefit and can guarantee you that I never will.

(BTW, I have also qualified for PPE, but I wouldn't have spent more than $100 to achieve it if I had fallen short.)
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
BINGO!

I have never used the 48 hr booking benefit and can guarantee you that I never will.

(BTW, I have also qualified for PPE, but I wouldn't have spent more than $100 to achieve it if I had fallen short.)
Previously, one didn’t know if they were using the 48 hour guarantee when booking online. It would just show rooms as being available (and most of the time not at rack rate IMO), so the only way to know if you were using it was if you signed out. Thus if you stayed at MR hotels very often it’s likely you’ve used that benefit.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoPhils

Previously, one didn’t know if they were using the 48 hour guarantee when booking online. It would just show rooms as being available (and most of the time not at rack rate IMO), so the only way to know if you were using it was if you signed out. Thus if you stayed at MR hotels very often it’s likely you’ve used that benefit.
I haven't. I have 344 LT nights with Marriott and about 320 of those were when I had Silver status and my employer chose where we stayed. Since I joined FT (and discovered that SPG was much better for me), I've had about 24 nights with Marriott and 750 with SPG. I've never made a booking less than 2 days out unless I had a canceled flight and needed an airport hotel.

However, I do get your point.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by GoPhils

Up until the past couple years if you made a reservation on the Marriott site it was well noted. When you entered the city and dates you were taken to the page showing available options. On the left side of a listing requiring use of the benefit there was a message saying something like "Platinum Availability Only" in bold letters. Sometimes it was the rack rate. Other times it was not. I had to use a rack rate twice but used the benefit itself once or twice a year. Several times I used it at a specific hotel that would let me call and get our negotiated rate instead.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
OK, 17% bonus. Still happy to have it. I agree, I wouldn't chase this tier to get it - but in my case (and many others) we will be provided it due to our prior loyalty. So we'll take it. I've only a 48 hr guarantee 1x in my life, but it was quite needed when I did. So clearly not the most used benefit but if/when you ever need it you'll be thankful to have it. Anyway, I'm not arguing this is the best tier in the world. I was simply saying disappointed seems strong to me - I understand the tier and it's better than the one beneath it. So hard to see how someone would be disappointed. Unless of course, as you point out - you are spending thousands solely to attain it. In that case, I'd struggle to understand why you're attempting to do so (and would agree with you).
I agree with your perspective. Like you, I qualified for LTPP easily by staying more than double the required nights and other parameters and simply hope that there will be some meaningful -- if not small -- extra significance to this level. That being said, nothing additional invested to attain this status, just a recognition of many hard years on the road!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT

Except it’s not a 25% bonus. A PE member will earn 150% points, whereas a PPE will earn 175% points. So that’s less than 17% bonus. If you aren’t staying enough to earn PPE, then that won’t amount to many points. The 48 hr booking benefit is only valuable for people staying on OPM as I’m not sure many are interested in paying rack rate. I’ll concede that UA Silver might be useful for someone without UA status but that’s an awfully low tier. My point is that the difference between the 2 tiers is so small that I can’t see the justification for paying thousands of dollars to achieve it.
Bottom line for those of us who have already earned LTPP without any additional effort -- we hope there is something meaningful to it. Small earning bonus, 48 hour guaranty and some enhanced upgrade priority would be fine.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
Bottom line for those of us who have already earned LTPP without any additional effort -- we hope there is something meaningful to it. Small earning bonus, 48 hour guaranty and some enhanced upgrade priority would be fine.
As long as you keep your expectations very low, you won't be disappointed.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
PPE is the former MR Plat, whereas PE is former MR Gold. I am sure there will be a distinction in treatment and status recognition between these two new tiers, very much like MR and its properties in general used to distinguish between G and Plat before the merger.

In fact, some SPG properties (mostly Asian) that extend lavish onsite over-and-beyond benefits to Plat guests will probably take the hint and restrict those benefits only to PPE members.

LTPPE is just a lifetime membership in the PPE tier, as much as some people here on FT want to picture it as the lowest possible attainable, most degrading and useless level on the new combined program. Properties most surely will not be able to know which PPE members got there through yearly qualification and which are lifetime.

Last edited by M.dA.R.; Aug 9, 2018 at 12:40 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
LTPPE is just a lifetime membership in the PPE tier...
Where do you see that? On member.Marriott the company specifically states LT Silver/Gold/Plat receive all the benefits of their corresponding elite statuses but that statement is starkly missing from LTPP. It's likely not an accident that they went out of their way to not include a similar statement about LTPP. And you have no idea what the hotels are going to see when the new program starts.

Nobody is claiming LTPP will be useless or degrading, but it would make no sense for it to be significantly better than LTP, which will be the top status current guests can attain in the new program. Why would Marriott send them the message that their are significant perks they will never get when LT status is a carrot dangling for present members to spend more so than to reward previous top customers?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Where do you see that? On member.Marriott the company specifically states LT Silver/Gold/Plat receive all the benefits of their corresponding elite statuses but that statement is starkly missing from LTPP. It's likely not an accident that they went out of their way to not include a similar statement about LTPP. And you have no idea what the hotels are going to see when the new program starts.

Nobody is claiming LTPP will be useless or degrading, but it would make no sense for it to be significantly better than LTP, which will be the top status current guests can attain in the new program. Why would Marriott send them the message that their are significant perks they will never get when LT status is a carrot dangling for present members to spend more so than to reward previous top customers?
Whatever...
supatight80 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

Whatever...
Totally...This poster keeps on repeating all over again that LTPP is just like LTP but yet claims "nobody" is saying LTPP is useless...Well that is pretty much I got from her post. LTPP is useless....

So which is which?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by supatight80
Totally...This poster keeps on repeating all over again that LTPP is just like LTP but yet claims "nobody" is saying LTPP is useless...Well that is pretty much I got from her post. LTPP is useless....

So which is which?
It is him, not her, but that's only one of your inaccuracies...

I have never said the two are the same, but that LTPP is not so significantly better that people should spend thousands of dollars to qualify. LTPP gets a few more points, the 48 hour guarantee and likely the United benefit, but not the SNAs. There is some hope on UG order but no promise on that and it will likely vary by hotel as it does now. The oft repeated fictions are that we get all the PP benefits, which Marriott has not stated, and that some people expect that in the future Marriott is going to add benefits to LTPP to make it super-fantastic better than LTP which defies logic.

LTPP was obviously created to avoid having to put MR LTP in the same tier as LTG. Marriott cared so little about the level they originally did not include similar SPG LT members and it is closed so it is no longer the top tier present members will work towards. Those are clear messages that the difference between LTP and LTPP are not important.

If I were a handful of points away I might hold a couple meetings to cross the qualification line, but reading of people spending a thousand or more dollars because they have bought into the frenzy is hard to swallow. LTPP is not going to be significantly better than LTP where it would justify that time, effort or cost.
kennycrudup likes this.

Last edited by CJKatl; Aug 9, 2018 at 4:41 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by CJKatl
It is him, not her, but that's only one of your inaccuracies...

I have never said the two are the same, but that LTPP is not so significantly better that people should spend thousands of dollars to qualify. LTPP gets a few more points, the 48 hour guarantee and likely the United benefit, but not the SNAs. There is some hope on UG order but no promise on that and it will likely vary by hotel as it does now. The oft repeated fictions are that we get all the PP benefits, which Marriott has not stated, and that some people expect that in the future Marriott is going to add benefits to LTPP to make it super-fantastic better than LTP which defies logic.

LTPP was obviously created to avoid having to put MR LTP in the same tier as LTG. Marriott cared so little about the level they originally did not include similar SPG LT members and it is closed so it is no longer the top tier present members will work towards. Those are clear messages that the difference between LTP and LTPP are not important.

If I were a handful of points away I might hold a couple meetings to cross the qualification line, but reading of people spending a thousand or more dollars because they have bought into the frenzy is hard to swallow. LTPP is not going to be significantly better than LTP where it would justify that time, effort or cost.
OMG. Do you really think that us Starwood folks dont know that SNAs are not included in LTPP? You do realize which program that SNAs, Your24, 4PM late check out come from right??

Perhaps to some people the extra points over Plat50 is worth chasing LTPP. Or whatever benefits they see that is advantageous to them over LTP. Who are you to judge with their money?

But You said your piece about this issue a long, long, LONG time ago but somehow you keep repeating yourself again and again and again. I suggest using the cut and paste function next time...

Btw, MR IS doing a really hard job of making the new loyalty program as enticing and wonderful as the old SPG. But you are doing a really good job of making it look mediocre

Last edited by supatight80; Aug 10, 2018 at 12:01 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by supatight80
OMG. Do you really think that us Starwood folks dont know that SNAs are not included in LTPP? You do realize which program that SNAs, Your24, 4PM late check out come from right??
Well, it's a fair argument that SNAs are not part of LTPP. You only get SNAa at 50 and 75 nights a year, regardless of your LT status, although you will be Plat and PP when you do. MR has not really done a lot to promote PP status in the past and barely acknowledged its existence. Now we have a line that can be crossed to expect that status and only those of us that have been around for a while have the opportunity to be granted LTPP status, supposedly never to be available again (expect that to change). I'm also betting MPG will create yet another super-secret status to again carve out those exceptional guests that bust out beyond the higher tiers.

It's good to see SPG making its mark on the MPG program and I truly hope it thrives. MR has been able to beat down the allure of their program and many have bailed (some to SPG) only to end up back with Marriott now. I'm willing to give them a chance and see how things develop rather than jump ship right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.