Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:11 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Aren't Y24 requests supposed to be submitted 48 hours prior to check in time? I'm confused how it was resubmitted morning of, or why you bothered to go through that process day of arrival instead of requesting/confirming it with one of your contacts directly at the property.
As usual, I emailed my Ambassador and copied my contact at the hotel requesting the early check in—a week in advance. My Ambassador submitted the official Your24. That was denied yesterday by email. I got an email very early this am that another Your24 request has been submitted—so that’s all I can tell you. I have no idea if the hotel or my Ambassador re-submitted that 2nd Your24–but I did get the early check in!

I never did get any email indicating the Your24 was approved...but when I called this morning at 10 am, the front desk manager told me the Suite would be ready by 11 am for us.

My contact also had emailed back a week ago to let me know they would do whatever was possible for us to get an early check in. They obviously did!

End result: Ambassador status and/or frequent guest status helped me get an 11 am check in. I’ll gladly accept it, whatever the reason.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So is the new Ambassador status the only way to get good customer service from Marriott now?

Getting a response from them for anything takes weeks.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:08 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin

That’s funny: I’ve had better luck with Your24 with the luxury brands, but then I stay a lot more often at those brands, too.

I would expect that Your24 shifting to a 100 night Ambassador benefit from a 75 night benefit, not to mention the $20K req’t, should make it a bit easier for hotels to make Your24 work—again still depending on many factors. But I look at it as a wonderful perk to enjoy when it’s possible, not as something to expect or to depend on as a rule.
Almost all of our stays are at luxury brands too. Often when I submit a Your24 I receive a denial within 15 minutes, even at hotels where I stay frequently and have a great relationship (recently at the US Grant)

A few years ago when SPG had the “stay at all brands” challenge we stayed at our first (and to date only) Element & Aloft hotels. I submitted Your24s at both and was immediately approved. I also received a personal email from the manager welcoming me.

One factor may be that I submit my requests too early. I’m a super advance planner and I can understand that hotels are reluctant to promise something when they don’t yet know their occupancy levels.

My strategy this year is going to be to request closer to my actual arrival date when hotels can project occupancy.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by damon88

Almost all of our stays are at luxury brands too. Often when I submit a Your24 I receive a denial within 15 minutes, even at hotels where I stay frequently and have a great relationship (recently at the US Grant)

Seems to me that much of what you're attributing to SPG status is just routine customer service at a well run hotel.

For example, just off the top of my head, I can think of three early morning arrivals in the past few weeks in Charlotte, London, and Santiago. In all three cases, the Marriotts allowed me to check in before noon, upgraded me to suites, and gave me a late checkout. I didn't use my Marriott ambassador although I suppose I could have. In Santiago, the hotel emailed me in advance to ask if I would like an early check in; in Charlotte, I called the hotel and they told me I could either have a room immediately or a suite at 1230 when it was cleaned; and in London they said, just head over.

I'm a little worried that this formal SPG approach is actually going to diminish the benefits I'm used to at Marriott.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:44 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Seems to me that much of what you're attributing to SPG status is just routine customer service at a well run hotel.

For example, just off the top of my head, I can think of three early morning arrivals in the past few weeks in Charlotte, London, and Santiago. In all three cases, the Marriotts allowed me to check in before noon, upgraded me to suites, and gave me a late checkout. I didn't use my Marriott ambassador although I suppose I could have. In Santiago, the hotel emailed me in advance to ask if I would like an early check in; in Charlotte, I called the hotel and they told me I could either have a room immediately or a suite at 1230 when it was cleaned; and in London they said, just head over.
Sounds to me like elite status doesn’t matter much anyway to you, so you’re wonderfully spared the worry of how Marriott will integrate this new Ambassador program and status and whether or not it will be worth it. You already seem to know that it isn’t worth it for you. Case closed.

You therefore can continue to enjoy staying at those very well run regular Marriott hotels and resorts that you obviously admire without any need for elite status recognition or elite benefits. Ambassador status clearly would and should be the least of your concerns.

I suppose there’s no need for you to worry at all about or need to qualify for Ambassador status in the new program nor what the perks might be for said status. Obviously, such benefits must arise solely from a Marriott hotel being well run and have nothing at all to do with elite status.

I'm a little worried that this formal SPG approach is actually going to diminish the benefits I'm used to at Marriott.
I confess to not understanding what constitutes “this formal SPG approach” from your comments.

The SPG approach, insofar as I can tell, created a loyalty program that was the class of hotel loyalty programs, providing elite benefits that made a lot of people cherish staying at SPG properties—and especially so for those who spend more than the average hotel customer.

The SPG approach treated elites extremely well even at the most luxurious and aspirational properties. Unlike the Marriott approach which segmented and precluded its most loyal customers from elite benefits at its most luxurious and aspiration properties.

The SPG approach had a portfolio with more affluent brands and not as many midscale brands as portfolios such as those of Marriott and Hilton.

To what “formal” approach are you referring?
UA-NYC likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 3, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
While it is nice to have benefited from SPG's "formal" benefits and approach the past 9 years for me personally (SNAs, Your24, guaranteed 4pm check-out, etc.) I have also received many upgrades and early check-ins when those "formal" approaches didn't come through. I have also been compensated "informally" when things have been screwed up (though fortunately not too many over the years).

If anything SPGers should be more worried about Marriott's low touch ways and CS meltdown over the past couple months.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
While it is nice to have benefited from SPG's "formal" benefits and approach the past 9 years for me personally (SNAs, Your24, guaranteed 4pm check-out, etc.) I have also received many upgrades and early check-ins when those "formal" approaches didn't come through. I have also been compensated "informally" when things have been screwed up (though fortunately not too many over the years).

If anything SPGers should be more worried about Marriott's low touch ways and CS meltdown over the past couple months.
Indeed.

I’ve had many SNAs not clear only to receive an upgrade to a specialty suite on arrival! My most recent stays at the Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, StR New York, StR Punta Mita, StR San Francisco, Hotel Imperial Vienna, and W Boston are among those.

I’ve had way too many suite upgrades to specialty suites not included in the standard suite upgrade pools. Those include the Royal Overwater Villa at the StR Bora Bora, the Imperial Suite at the Hotel Imperial Vienna, the Wow Suite at the W Boston, the Charles Suite at the Liberty Boston, the St Regis Suite at the StR Houston, the Metropolitan Suite at almost every stay I’ve had at the StR San Francisco (where I am now, in fact), the Wow Suite at the W Seattle, the Nines Suite at the Nines Portland, the Dalmatia Suite at the Gritti Venice, etc.

I’ve had many Your24 requests denied (or never bothered to submit any Your24 request at all) only to arrive and be granted extremely early check in! My most recent stay at the Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho is among those—with an early check in at 7:15 am.

I‘ve even been granted beyond 4 pm late checkout a number of times—including most recently at the StR San Francisco, W Boston, StR Punta Mita, StR Houston, Le Meridien Arlington, and Le Méridien Cambridge.

I’ve also had incredibly high levels of service approaching that of the best hotels in the world across many brands, even at those that ordinarily don’t provide such high levels of personalized service. Those less likely brands include stays at the Four Points Midtown, Four Points Chelsea, Sheraton Hartford South, Le Meridien Arlington, Le Meridien Cambridge, Westin Charlotte, etc.

The SPG approach is pretty darn good for a Plat elite, and it’s spectacularly good for an Ambassador elite.
damon88 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:32 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
My experiences mirror bhrubin's and go back all the way to 2003 when the Excelsior in Florence upgraded us to a huge Duomo view Suite on a points stay when I was a mere gold. Since then I have had amazing upgrades at so many properties they would be hard to list. The two best ones were 7 nights in a Royal Suite at the Hotel Danieli for our anniversary in 2007 and 8 nights in the Presidential Suite at Suiran in October 2016.

On my recent trip to Austria and Switzerland all 4 SPG hotels we stayed at made us feel welcome and valued. There is a reason for my fierce loyalty over the years.

I too worry about the future and hope that my best Starwood years are ahead, not behind me.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

Sounds to me like elite status doesn’t matter much anyway to you, so you’re wonderfully spared the worry of how Marriott will integrate this new Ambassador program and status and whether or not it will be worth it. You already seem to know that it isn’t worth it for you. Case closed.

You therefore can continue to enjoy staying at those very well run regular Marriott hotels and resorts that you obviously admire without any need for elite status recognition or elite benefits. Ambassador status clearly would and should be the least of your concerns.

I suppose there’s no need for you to worry at all about or need to qualify for Ambassador status in the new program nor what the perks might be for said status. Obviously, such benefits must arise solely from a Marriott hotel being well run and have nothing at all to do with elite status.

I confess to not understanding what constitutes “this formal SPG approach” from your comments.

The SPG approach, insofar as I can tell, created a loyalty program that was the class of hotel loyalty programs, providing elite benefits that made a lot of people cherish staying at SPG properties—and especially so for those who spend more than the average hotel customer.

The SPG approach treated elites extremely well even at the most luxurious and aspirational properties. Unlike the Marriott approach which segmented and precluded its most loyal customers from elite benefits at its most luxurious and aspiration properties.

The SPG approach had a portfolio with more affluent brands and not as many midscale brands as portfolios such as those of Marriott and Hilton.

To what “formal” approach are you referring?
Not sure I agree with your comments.

I have 75 actual nights as of the end of June between legacy Marriott and SPG (actual ... not meeting credits, multiple room credits, credit card, etc.) so I'll obviously meet the ambassador qualifications. Also, I have a Marriott ambassador but just not sure what to use them for.

I appreciate the elite recognition and benefits. But, the experiences you are attributing to your ambassador, I get pretty automatically without the need to call anyone to ask for them. But, yes, I'd like to know what other perks or benefits those with Marriott ambassadors are receiving that I'm not taking advantage of.

And, yes, I understand SPG provided breakfast to guests at StR and resorts so certainly happy to have that, whereas RC and Marriott resorts did not provide breakfast. I like a free breakfast but other than that, I'm not sure what other "elite benefits at its most luxurious and aspiration properties" were available in the SPG program that weren't available in the MR program.

And, I certainly understand why the Starwood CEO and Board felt they needed to sell the company.

But as to the formal approach, I'm not used to the Your24 process which seems to get denied based on the reports above -- I just show up at the hotel (or make a quick call) and they take care of me. I'm not used to properties applying cancellation policies strictly even when there is a general strike in the country closing the airport as happened recently at an SPG property. I'm not used to hotels calling a "corner room" a "standard suite" or telling me they only have "standard suites" so I don't get upgraded which has happened at 4-5 SPG properties in the last year.

For the most part, the things the couple of SPG loyalists are discussing are things I get routinely without needing to make a call. Of course, I appreciate the ability to get assistance from an ambassador with making an award reservation or adding a name to a reservation, as well as asking the hotel for upgrades in connection with a special occasion.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:20 pm
Suspended

I appreciate the elite recognition and benefits. But, the experiences you are attributing to your ambassador, I get pretty automatically without the need to call anyone to ask for them. But, yes, I'd like to know what other perks or benefits those with Marriott ambassadors are receiving that I'm not taking advantage of.
You are not understanding the difference between having an Ambassador and being recognized as having Ambassador status. I rarely call or email my Ambassador. But the distinction is a red herring.

(1) Do you get frequent and regular suite upgrades at even the most aspirational luxury hotels in the Marriott/Ritz-Carlton portfolio (that is to say, the Ritz-Carlton and Edition portfolio)? I get frequent and regular suite upgrades at the most aspirational luxury hotels in the SPG portfolio: at St Regis hotels, at Luxury Collection hotels, and at W hotels. @damon88 does, too. Happens to us all the time. We don't have to ask for those, though I sometimes do.

You seem to suggest that somehow our even asking for upgrades from our Ambassador somehow negates the fact that we might (and do) get them. As if we don't also get them without asking a thing. Just being Ambassador status often gets us plenty--something you don't seem to accept despite our many examples provided herein.

I know that you don't mention the brands at which you stay and at which you get your upgrades, so I'll assume you don't get them at the Ritz-Carlton and Edition hotels. One wonders whether or not you get those at even the best Marriott hotels among the usually less-than-aspirational Autograph and JW Marriott properties. I don't think you're getting upgrades even close to those we are sharing as examples.

I know that most regular SPG Plats don't get upgraded like we do as Ambassador guests. I know that most regular Marriott Plats and even Plat Premiers don't get upgraded like do as Ambassador guests. If you are a current iteration Marriott "Ambassador" elite and do get a lot of suite upgrades, then you already know that your "Ambassador" status is likely playing a major role in your getting upgraded a lot more than your Plat and Plat Premier peers in the Marriott universe, actually. Whether or not you asked is irrelevant.

The fact that some Ambassador guests get lots of upgrades at Le Meridien, Westin, Sheraton, Tribute, etc while others do not has much more to do with the fact that there are fewer suites at those brands and that some guests are staying at times when there is higher occupancy (and therefore fewer upgrades to be had).

(2) Do you regularly get upgraded to specialty suites well above the regular suite upgrade pool? I do. @damon88 does. Many Ambassador guests do. You don't mention the brands at which you may have received crazy and massive specialty suite upgrades, but we have. At StR Bora Bora, at Hotel Imperial Vienna, at Gritti Palace Venice, at W Boston, at Four Points Chelsea, at Four Points Midtown, at Le Meridien Arlington, at Le Meridien Cambridge, at Le Meridien Phillly, at the Nines Portland, etc. I didn't have to ask to get most of those. But even had I asked, what difference does that make?

Sorry, but regular Plats in SPG and Marriott don't get those speciality suites through anything other than a random luck of the draw, if ever. We get them with some degree of frequency because the hotels see us as VIPs. I don't have to call my Ambassador for that benefit.

(3) Do you regularly get treated as a VIP during your hotels stays--past the point from your front desk check in? I do. @damon88 does. Most Ambassador guests do, actually. Because it isn't just the front desk that is alerted to our status but usually every department in the hotels. That/s why I almost always get a great table for dinner in the hotel restaurant. That's why I almost always get a great server in the restaurant. That's why I almost always don't have to wait too long to get a drink at the bar. That's why I almost always get housekeeping attention on my room or suite. That's why I almost always get excellent service recovery when things do go awry.

I don't ask my Ambassador to do that. It just happens. That's the benefit of having that level of status--not the benefit of me having lifted a finger.

(4) Do you regularly or frequently get better breakfast treatment during your hotel stays? I do. I imagine @damon88 does. I imagine it happens for many Ambassador guests--and could happen for many Plats too. But being VIP has its privileges. And so it happens for me a lot. I've had many room service breakfasts included as part of my breakfast benefit--even though SPG clearly doesn't provide for that and no hotel has to do that. I've had many breakfasts in restaurants that allow me to order well beyond the regular Plat offering (including this morning and yesterday morning here at the StR San Francisco, in fact). That doesn't happen as easily nor as often if you aren't Ambassador status--because you're not VIP. I am not guaranteeing the perk...just indicating that many hotels can treat you even better because they choose to because you're VIP.

And, yes, I understand SPG provided breakfast to guests at StR and resorts so certainly happy to have that, whereas RC and Marriott resorts did not provide breakfast. I like a free breakfast but other than that, I'm not sure what other "elite benefits at its most luxurious and aspiration properties" were available in the SPG program that weren't available in the MR program.
Offering breakfast is just a base line benefit. I've shown above that being an Ambassador guest can go well beyond that. And I know that RC and Marriott hotels are starting to recognize Ambassador status because the RC Kyoto actually mentioned that to me during my stay in May 2018. They offered me free breakfast because they didn't have a Club, not because of my Ambassador status. But they let me offer more at no additional charge because they knew I was an Ambassador guest as it turns out!

And, I certainly understand why the Starwood CEO and Board felt they needed to sell the company.
Still not sure what this has to be with Ambassador status and benefits and recognition?

They felt the need to sell because Wall Street believed they should be earning more in certain categories than they were. Starwood still was a profitable company.

But as to the formal approach, I'm not used to the Your24 process which seems to get denied based on the reports above -- I just show up at the hotel (or make a quick call) and they take care of me.
Your24 isn't perfect...but it's likely to get a lot better with fewer people eligible to use it! Only Ambassador level guests have this benefit once the new program starts. Plat75s now get that benefit, too, but lose it in the new program.

It's still something you didn't have at all as a Marriott elite...that now you can get as a new Ambassador elite. It's just a way to get advanced notice of your ability to check in early. But not getting it makes it exactly the same as it was for you before and now!

I'm not used to properties applying cancellation policies strictly even when there is a general strike in the country closing the airport as happened recently at an SPG property.
Red herring alert! This has nothing to do with the Ambassador program. There are strikes going on now because of the Marriott program...bu that still has nothing to do with the Ambassador program.

I'm not used to hotels calling a "corner room" a "standard suite" or telling me they only have "standard suites" so I don't get upgraded which has happened at 4-5 SPG properties in the last year.
it's pretty easy to not being used to standard suite pool upgrade benefits when before Marriott had NO guarantee to ANY suite upgrade whatsoever...and still does not for Ritz Carlton hotels. Red herring alert again. As an SPG Ambassador guest at SPG hotels, which you STILL don't get to enjoy until August because you're ONLY REGULAR PLAT NOW, that doesn't happen to us.

For the most part, the things the couple of SPG loyalists are discussing are things I get routinely without needing to make a call. Of course, I appreciate the ability to get assistance from an ambassador with making an award reservation or adding a name to a reservation, as well as asking the hotel for upgrades in connection with a special occasion.
I don't have to make a call. But even if I did make a call (or send an email), the SPG Ambassador benefits of status clearly are vastly superior to those in the current Marriott universe. It isn't even close.

I'm still confused as to how this isn't blatantly obvious? And why it's blatantly obvious why Marriott wants to copy the SPG Ambassador program and most of the SPG Plat benefits in the first place?

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 3, 2018 at 6:30 pm
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Marriott had NO guarantee to ANY suite upgrade whatsoever...and still does not for Ritz Carlton hotels.
Not true. Marriott's policy specifically includes suite upgrades at Ritz-Carlton properties for platinums.
C17PSGR and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:35 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

From Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Not true. Marriott's policy specifically includes suite upgrades at Ritz-Carlton properties for platinums.
And yet on every Ritz Carlton confirmation they specifically say “suites excluded”

bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by damon88

From Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel

And yet on every Ritz Carlton confirmation they specifically say “suites excluded”

Then it is incorrect:
Complimentary Room Upgrade: Upgrades are based on room availability at check-in and limited to a member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities and rooms on Executive Floors. Suites are included for Platinum members only. [emphasis added] Rooms with direct Club Lounge access are excluded. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel.
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:57 am
SPG 5+ Badge

I understand that is what the terms state, yet on every confirmation it has the opposite disclaimer. I have limited experience at Ritz hotels- but I did just check my confirmation for our upcoming stay in March at the Hotel Arts in Barcelona and Marriott is still including the Suite exclusion language.

You have to admit, it is confusing at best.

bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Then it is incorrect:
Complimentary Room Upgrade: Upgrades are based on room availability at check-in and limited to a member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities and rooms on Executive Floors. Suites are included for Platinum members only. [emphasis added] Rooms with direct Club Lounge access are excluded. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi
Ah, no. That isn’t correct. Suites “being included” is not the same as suites being guaranteed for upgrade if available. Thats why the guarantee on the copied pages previously specifically excludes Club rooms and Suites.

Suites can be included but still are entirely left to the discretion of the Ritz Carlton and Edition hotels in question for upgrades. Suites available at SPG hotels are not left to any hotel’s discretion but are absolutely guaranteed for upgrades if they are among the standard suite pool and are available. Period, end.

Ritz-Carlton and Edition currently do not guarantee a suite upgrade in any way like SPG terms currently do for any Platinum guest—much as some want to play devil’s advocate and try to pretend otherwise. It isn’t the same. Period.

St Regis and Luxury Collection and W hotels do guarantee a suite upgrade if available. Ritz-Carlton and Edition do not. It’s that simple.

Allegedly, the new loyalty program may allow Ritz-Carlton and Edition hotels to guarantee a suite upgrade in the same way that St Regis, Luxury Collection, and W hotels have been doing for years—but the details on that possibility still are sketchy. Regardless, Club level rooms and suites are not going to be part of the new Platinum standard upgrade pool. And SNAs won’t apply “at first” to Ritz-Carlton and Edition hotels, either, apparently—suggesting the possibility that Marriott has to change the IT for those to apply.

As was stated before and challenged unsuccessfully, this again still stands:

Marriott had NO guarantee to ANY suite upgrade whatsoever...and still does not for Ritz Carlton hotels.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 4, 2018 at 10:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.