Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Ritz-Carlton Riyadh [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:55 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

The Ritz Carlton Riyadh

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

The Ritz Carlton Riyadh

Hada Area Mekkah Road Riyadh, SA 11493

The Ritz-Carlton Riyadh (0 Photo)

The Ritz Carlton Riyadh

Disclaimer: In exchange for this hotel review, I received a two nights-stay in RiyadhSaudi Arabia in one of The Ritz-Carlton‘s superior rooms.  Additionally, this will be one in a two-part series; the first will be of the hotel and the room, and the second, the food.

Only completed in 2011, the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh is located in the diplomatic quarter of the Saudi Arabian capital.  It’s safe, quiet, and rather detached even if not terribly far distance-wise from the city center.  In addition to its 493 rooms, meeting rooms, ballrooms, a males-only indoor pool and spa, and business center are available.

Oh, and did I mention that the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh was originally built as a palace to welcome dignitaries?  Well, who’s to say it doesn’t serve that purpose anyway?…

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-36the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-38Before you can reach the lobby entrance, there is a security checkpoint.  Though some may consider it a minor nuisance or impractical, I think its best purpose is to build up the excitement as you approach the hotel.

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-15

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-3The lobby and main corridors were immaculately maintained.  Although these photos were taken around 3:30 in the morning, even when the check-in/café areas became busy, it never seemed that way; indeed, the high ceilings and huge amounts of space are two reasons why.  Depending on when you check in, dates and Saudi cardamom-infused coffee, called qahwah, are offered right by the front desk.

Checking-in was easy; the front desk agent said that they were expecting me; no sooner than twenty seconds later, the nice Nepalese porter who took my bag from the taxi was already leading the way to my room.  Though I typically don’t like having to fumble for my room key to push the floor in the elevator, because the key card scanner worked fine, it was no issue.

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-6My room.  I suppose I expected something more elegant, but that’s neither here nor there. More importantly, the room at the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh was clean, comfortable, and had a very welcoming bed.  Perhaps what was most notably (to me, anyhow) absent was a device through which to play one’s smartphone/mp3 player music.

The wi-fi wasn’t working at first (there’s typically a charge for it, unless you have a certain status with Ritz/Marriott International/Starwood Hotels & Resorts), but a fast chat at the front desk resolved it.

However, the following night, I received three calls within fifteen minutes asking about the internet/other possible issues with my stay.  If I had a problem arise during my time at the hotel, I would be proactive about fixing it.

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-10The bathroom was well-kept, the shower had great pressure and amenities were of the British brand Asprey.  Also, in case you didn’t want to your favorite tv program, there’s a another speaker in the bathroom.

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-8Upon reflection – pun unintended – I should have removed the wrapping from the delightful edibles awaiting my arrival.  But, food safety is key, too…

On the left, some quality hotel-made baklava.  On the right, Saudi dates (from top to bottom) with peanuts/peanut butter, coconut, pistachios, and I believe sumac.  Dates will come up again in the next Ritz-Carlton Riyadh post.

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-4The Nepalese assistant then took me on a bit of a tour around the hotel.  The pool was the main stop:

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-5In spite of its warm temperature and extremely inviting ambience, lest you forget that it’s only for men to use.  Two restaurants – welcoming both genders – flank the left and right sides of this photo; they’re only open in the evening – after the pool has closed.  Still, if I had brought a bathing suit, the pool would’ve been a refreshing option.

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-13I’ll finish the first review with the Saudi coat of arms – a palm tree with two swords representing the Najd and Hejaz kingdoms united in 1926 – superimposed over the lobby/Chorisia lounge.

Overall, service was good, if slightly rough around the edges.  I had good conversations with some of the Saudi staff, and Kristian, one of the bellhops, was quite helpful. Save for the somewhat secluded nature of the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh, the internet flub and mostly ceremonial security checks, I’m confident in being able to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet stay in Saudi Arabia’s largest city.  Or, would it be better to endorse just a visit to the hotel and the breakfast buffet more?…we shall see!

The Ritz-Carlton Riyadh

Would you like to write a review on the The Ritz Carlton Riyadh?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Al Orjouan Restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh

The Ritz Carlton Riyadh

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

The Ritz Carlton Riyadh

Hada Area Mekkah Road Riyadh, SA 11493

Al Orjouan Restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh (0 Photo)

The Ritz Carlton Riyadh

In this second of the two-part series reviewing the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, we’ll now be focusing on the breakfast buffet at Al Orjouanrestaurant.

The phrase “buffet at the Ritz” presents quite the dichotomy to cynics.  Buffets are usually thought of as lacking in quality, whereas Ritz-Carltons’ are anything but.  In short, Al Orjouan exists to prove that you can have good food in addition to great variety.

A short backgrounder about the hotel‘s choice of dining establishments— colors are a main theme.  Although I only ate at Al Orjouan (meaning “purple” in Arabic) and the Chorisia Lounge, they also have Azzurro (blue) for Italian, Hong (red) for Chinese, the Turquoise Lounge, and soon, a sweets shop selling housemade baklava and Western desserts.  Walking around each of those eateries, you’ll see that the individual restaurant names also influenced the respective interiors and table settings.

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-53

Rest assured, although there’s no purple in this photo, it’s there.

Focusing on Al Orjouan, I had a nice chat with Emilio, the manager, on both days of my visit.  He was telling me about how, in addition to the breakfast buffet, his restaurant also offers a Friday brunch, as well as themed meals every now and then.  Furthermore, the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh will be expanding Al Orjouan’s footprint by creating an outdoors souk (local market)-themed atmosphere replete with significantly more seating options and freshly-grilled meats:

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-66

Where the extension will be built (the windows in the view are of Al Orjouan restaurant; currently, there is no outdoor seating)

So many words, and not enough pictures.  OK, I give in…let’s take a look at some of the many foods from which to choose:

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-62Many residents of the Middle East/East Africa start their days with ful medames, or cooked fava beans with olive oil and garlic.  Depending on where you’re from, the beans may come mashed or whole, with or without tomatoes and tahini, and with or without sumac (Syrian-style).  Indeed, Mazen, one of the head chefs, is an affable Syrian man who hopes to introduce to Al Orjouan patrons more food from his homeland.

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-65A buffet-staple- the omelette bar.

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-64Bread.  On a side note, if I ever open a theme park, I’d call it “Glutenia.”

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-60I mentioned to Emilio that there weren’t enough regional breakfast options, besides the ful.  Although he pointed this section – with hummus, labne, and stuffed grape leaves -out to me, how many more things would there realistically be?  Shakshouka, perhaps?

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-57Oh?  Smoked fish?  Now, things can get interesting…could I have a New York moment in Riyadh?

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-69Hah! A nigella seed-bagel with lox (smoked salmon), cream cheese, capers, and red onions (missing).  Sweet.

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-61The soon-to-be upgraded juice bar.  While we’re on the topic of drinks…

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-67Al Orjouan and the Chorisia Lounge are known for their signature beverages.  Clockwise from the center, we have the Desert Rose with pomegranate syrup, rose water, and honey; the Spiced Tea Punch with masala chai, cinnamon, and Saudi acacia honey; an orange and ginger juice I ordered from the juice bar; Green 600, with green apple, cucumber, and spinach juice, and an olive syrup “ice cube” in the middle (the 600 comes from the centuries-old olive tree in the hotel courtyard); and Arabic Garden, with ginger, carrot, and orange, honey, and lemon juice.the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-55

Legumes, nuts, and dried fruits.

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-56Fruit.  I’m usually at this stage by the tenth plate.

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-54Local sweets.  Halawa/halva is extremely filling, so I recommend investing in a second stomach specifically for this section of the buffet.

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-58Dates.  You may recall that I emphasized date consumption while in Saudi Arabia.  The Ritz-Carlton Riyadh did not disappoint…you see, I expressed interest in trying a variety of dates, and the good folks at Al Orjouan arranged a sample box for me:

the-ritz-carlton-riyadh-saudi-arabia-50Even if Ajwa is the most renowned type of date, I still have to hand it to the more familiar Mejdool.  Still, if the only competition I ever won was a lifetime supply of a similar box of dates, I wouldn’t complain.

Shukran gazilan again to the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh and its Al Orjouan restaurant for hosting me earlier this month.  Overall, it was a great trip, and if I’m ever in town again, sign me up for a date tree plantation visit…in addition to another buffet breakfast!

Al Orjouan Restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh

Would you like to write a review on the The Ritz Carlton Riyadh?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report along w/ photos. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the trip report along w/ photos. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Sure thing. If you have any follow-up questions, let me know!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

always great to see less discussed properties/destinations !

wonder if they do one category upgrade from club suite to 4,541 ft2 royal suite
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:36 am

The Ritz cancelled my booking again due to a "government event". Can I claim any compensation from Marriott for that? I made a booking long time ago and just received the cancellation message one week before arrival. Cheers
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:26 am

Sorry to bump up an old thread but... anyone know how much the breakfast and/or weekend brunch buffet is for non-guests?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.