Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
Originally Posted by orftomnl
I just received a Marriott premier Visa and was awarded a certificate for category 1-4 hotel and 30,000 points after making first purchase on the card. This is my first time having the card and getting a certificate. I can see how to redeem points online when making a reservation; I can not see how to redeem the certificate online. Can the certificate be redeemed online also or do you need to call reservations to redeem it? Thanks in advance for any information.
You have to call Marriott.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I redeem my Chase and Megabonus certs online all the time.

If you select an award room night that matches the your certificate, you will get the option of attached the cert to your reservation instead of pulling points.

It's a little buggy if you have multiple certs but there are workarounds. Overall you don't need to call to redeem the certs. (I probably would have canceled my 2 Chase cards by now if that was the case!!)
Old Jul 2, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by AA Novice
What to do?
Another option is to make a reservation using your free night then cancel it. When I've done this in the past, Marriott was not able to issue another free night credit. After you cancel, you call Marriott and ask them to re-issue the free night credit. The won't be able to but they will put a note on your account to credit you the points for the free night when you make your next reservation. Then you call in and ask them to use the point credit to make another reservation using points. The next day, cancel that reservation and all of the points should post to your account. This may sound a little confusing but it makes sense to me.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by workandski
You have to call Marriott.
I don't think that is true anymore. I booked a rewards night with points a week ago. Right before the confirmation screen, a page asked me to select whether I wanted to use my existing free night cert (the anniversary Cat 1-5 cert that's in my account) or use points. I was using points because it was a Cat 1 hotel, but I presume I could have chosen to use the cert since the option was offered.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 2:21 am

Programs: MR Platinum Premier, HH Silver, National Exec Elite, USAirways Silver
My Cert expires 11/30/2011... I am going on my honeymoon in april 2012,, I haven't called yet, but if I could somehow extend it by 6 months I'd be ALL SET... Ill give it a shot after the holiday.

Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by SF12345
My Cert expires 11/30/2011... I am going on my honeymoon in april 2012,, I haven't called yet, but if I could somehow extend it by 6 months I'd be ALL SET... Ill give it a shot after the holiday.

Thanks!

I called and they extended it 6 months. You should be able to get yours extended. It took a couple of days after I called for it to show the new expiration date.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Chase Premier Free Night Certificates

I apologize for what may be a dumb question, but it won't be the first one I have ever asked.

I went to book a room for tonight and planned to use my free night certificate, and noticed it is no longer in my account. I just upgraded to the new account in August-September 2011 time frame, and have seen it in my account since then.

ANyone know why it would be missing? Did it expire? When does the annual free night certificate post?

Thanks

HG
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:42 am

I opened the card in Dec, mine expires in May. I would guess it has a 6 month eligibility.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Mine was opened in September.

MR was no help, and neither was Chase. At the tip of another member, I call the Salt Lake, and am on the phone with them now. She told me it seems weird that she cant ever see me having one, and recognizes I should and it should be valid.

She helped me clear it all up...

Last edited by Head; Jan 10, 2012 at 4:28 am
Old Mar 3, 2012, 5:08 pm

When do we get our annual 1 night free certificate?

With the Premium Visa card, once a tear we get a 1 night level 1-4 cert. Does anyone know when it is available? I thought it was available the 1st of March. I am planning a weekend trip the first part of March and would like to use it for one of the nights.

Thanks,
Brenda
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The month of your annual renewal.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Cat 1-4 cert

Do these have any value if you are staying at a higher cat hotel?
Old May 27, 2012, 12:05 pm

No. But once you pick a hotel within that catagory, if you want to upgrade your room from standard by paying the difference you can try calling the hotel direct. I'm upgrading to a 2 bedroom suite from a standard studio at a Residence Inn that way for $40. They can't do that for you at the Marriot 800 number, you have to call the hotel.
Old May 27, 2012, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
+1, however at the time of choosing to use points (including Cat 1-4 certs) certain hotels do offer upgrades using either points and/or points and cash........

Originally Posted by Tizzette
No. But once you pick a hotel within that catagory, if you want to upgrade your room from standard by paying the difference you can try calling the hotel direct.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
Never been able to use it > cat 4, but did get a nice upgrade last week at Res Inn in Memphis (4) to a 2 bedroom, comp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.