Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
You mean the same opening of dates previously announced by several others back in mid-April

Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
I had given up at staying at this property for my stay in late December as nights were completely blocked out, but I checked today and award availability had suddenly opened.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by holtju2
"Distastefully Designed Disneyland". Everything is so fake and manufactured reality that it hurts my eyes. I'm sure Chinese will love this.
Did the Mormons provide free reading material in the nightstand?
Old May 7, 2017, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Did the Mormons provide free reading material in the nightstand?
Seriously? Are you going to go to the various property threads & ask whether they have Mormon bibles in a drawer? Even if they do you're not required to read it (same goes w/ the Gideon bible). If you're that unhappy about there being a Mormon bible in any Marriott property, then just stay at SPGs (or do what I do, which is toss clothes on top of the bibles because they're in a drawer ).

On a dif note - sounds like there are going to be a number of FTers at the property the week between Xmas-New Years. You all have to make arrangements to meet up for drinks while there

Cheers.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I had given up at staying at this property for my stay in late December as nights were completely blocked out, but I checked today and award availability had suddenly opened. 25k points per night when paid rates were 600USD+. Pretty sure thats the best value I have been able to squeeze out of Marriott to date.
I wonder if this property is over priced given its location. Seems like a lot for SE Asia this is not a knock on the property itself but just the cost in relation to some other high end competitors. I am drawn to it because it seems like a great bang for my points, but based on other comments it does strike me as a place I would not want to stay on my own (maybe I will meet a beautiful Vietnamese woman who I can take there, although I am unlikely to be in vietnam long enough to get to that point in a relationship). Also, since I have limited amount of time in Vietnam I think it would be a mistake for me divert there given everything else that there is to see. If I was with someone else AND I either had a ton of time in Vietnam or I had visited before then I probably would strongly consider this property.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Red259
I wonder if this property is over priced given its location. Seems like a lot for SE Asia this is not a knock on the property itself but just the cost in relation to some other high end competitors. I am drawn to it because it seems like a great bang for my points, but based on other comments it does strike me as a place I would not want to stay on my own (maybe I will meet a beautiful Vietnamese woman who I can take there, although I am unlikely to be in vietnam long enough to get to that point in a relationship). Also, since I have limited amount of time in Vietnam I think it would be a mistake for me divert there given everything else that there is to see. If I was with someone else AND I either had a ton of time in Vietnam or I had visited before then I probably would strongly consider this property.
It sounds like you're confusing multiple topics. Also, if you've got limited time in Vietnam it probably makes more sense for you to stay at other properties.

Cheers.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Seriously? Are you going to go to the various property threads & ask whether they have Mormon bibles in a drawer?
(you know we have a good mutual friend staying there now and he's been sharing a lot of photos/info on other social media, this was my way of teasing him to share some more info on FT )

And yes, as long as tacky Marriott has BoM's in the rooms, they are fair target of my snark, as is SPG in other areas they are vulnerable to snark. FT is 'funner' with snark.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
(you know we have a good mutual friend staying there now and he's been sharing a lot of photos/info on other social media, this was my way of teasing him to share some more info on FT )

And yes, as long as tacky Marriott has BoM's in the rooms, they are fair target of my snark, as is SPG in other areas they are vulnerable to snark. FT is 'funner' with snark.
Tee-hee re: our mutual friend.

Re: the BofM, just assume they're in the hotels, then there's no need to clutter threads asking. A # of FTers don't care if there's any religious book in the room (whether it be the Koran, Gideon, BofM). They open threads wanting information re: the property, upgrades, lounge, transport info, so to open a thread when one has limited time to see just a snark comment re: BofM wastes their time.

Anyway, hopefully those who post on this thread can provide further updates re: the resort, service, upgrades, things to do, etc, get back on topic. And for those who are staying btwn Xmas/NY, perhaps they can post their dates/property in this thread, check it as it gets closer, & then PM each other to meet up for a drink at the property.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ay-thread.html

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; May 8, 2017 at 8:11 am Reason: add the meeting link...
Old May 9, 2017, 4:10 am
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Recent JW Phu Quoc Stay

I recently completed a 4 night stay at the JW PQ on award points. I am usually a little apprehensive about resort stays, being isolated and sort of “under house arrest”. However, the JW immediately put that concern to rest. The resort was great. Designed by Bill Bensley and everything he touches turns to magic. I’ve stayed at 3 other wonderful Bensley designed properties and this is a masterpiece.

It is a themed resort, and while some others up thread ridicule it, I personally thought it was cleverly and thoughtfully done and not the least bit Disneyesque. The tasteful design and attention to detail and decorative interiors represent a significant investment.

First, a note about transportation. Metered taxis are readily available at the airport curbside and the hotel is about a 20-minute ride on a very uncongested highway. The meter clicks away at a pretty good clip, but the 17-km trip was only 280,000 VND (about $12.50 USD). The hotel offers car service at 900,000 ++ VND (about $48 USD). Not knowing what to expect, pre-arrival I checked a taxi booking service which offered a “rock bottom” price of $52.00 o/w. Curbside metered taxi is the way to go.

Check-in was fast and efficient at a table in the lobby and as a Plat I was extended a double upgrade to a 3rd floor Bay Front Room—an ocean view which also overlooked a huge adults only pool. Two other large family oriented pools are also available, and of course the long pristine white sand beach is beautiful. Also of note is that the off-shore water is fairly shallow pretty far out.

After check-in, we were provided a buggy ride tour of the expansive grounds and transported to the building where our room was located. The good-sized room was absolutely beautiful, with unique custom made furniture. The main room consisted of the bed, couch at the foot of the bed, a small but very serviceable desk, mini bar piece with all the usual items (glasses, hot water kettle, pull out drawer fridge, etc). Fresh fruit was provided each day. And Internet service was reasonably good and reliable.

There was a huge bath/shower room with two separate lavs and vanities on each side of the room. Free standing tub and open shower. The toilet (with a lav) was in a separate room across a hallway.

There was also a very large balcony with a good sized lounging couch. The balcony was five steps down from the main room. Ceiling fans in both the main room and on the balcony.

The hotel has about 245 rooms, but spread out over something like 8 multi-story, uniquely themed and decorated buildings. Most will have some sort of ocean view, except perhaps the ground level garden view rooms (which face the sea, but don’t have great views). Private villas (w/o ocean views) are in the final stages of construction.

Up thread (Post #95) I noted some information about specific perks/amenities offered to elite members which I will not repeat here. In addition, there are two main restaurants open now—Red Rum offering a variety of seafood (mainly shellfish) along with other selections such as beef, lamb, chicken ribs, etc-- all offerings here are grilled over an open fire. We dined here twice with excellent meals.

The main restaurant – Tempus Fugit—offers a wonderful breakfast buffet and in the evening, it is all ala carte with three distinctive cuisines—Vietnamese, Japanese and French. We dined here once for dinner which was also very good.

There is also a coffee/pastry shop which we did not sample.

One evening we took the free shuttle to the night market. It is about a 30 minute ride o/w. However, if interested, be sure to make reservations (strangely for both ways). A few people simply showed up w/o a reservation and were turned away. The night market itself is no big deal and can be seen in about 30 minutes, although there are a multitude of seafood restaurants available if you want something a little different off property.

Otherwise, we had no desire to go off property, so I do not know about transportation to other restaurants, but taxis seemed to be plentiful and could probably be easily arranged.

The resort also offers a variety of classes, tours, free pedal bikes, kayaks, etc.

We had a couple of service bobbles along the way, but the guest services staff and management bent way over to make things right and no complaints. Service overall was excellent, and we even knew a few staff members who had transferred from other Marriott’s where we had previously stayed -- sort of like being in a village where you become acquainted quickly and everyone knows your name.

Finally, while there is a gift shop it sells only souvenirs—no soda, snacks, alcohol or other odds and ends—so be prepared for that part of being held captive. Consider bringing some items with you if desired.

The resort is pricey by Viet Nam standards. It is a truly unique property and those considering it must make a value judgement. However, I will return.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dfe

Up thread (Post #95) I noted some information about specific perks/amenities offered to elite members which I will not repeat here. In addition, there are two main restaurants open now—Red Rum offering a variety of seafood (mainly shellfish) along with other selections such as beef, lamb, chicken ribs, etc-- all offerings here are grilled over an open fire. We dined here twice with excellent meals.

The main restaurant – Tempus Fugit—offers a wonderful breakfast buffet and in the evening, it is all ala carte with three distinctive cuisines—Vietnamese, Japanese and French. We dined here once for dinner which was also very good.
Thanks for the great review, dfe. Can you comment on ballpark prices for restaurants on the resort for lunch/dinner?
Old May 9, 2017, 7:59 am
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Thanks for the great review, dfe. Can you comment on ballpark prices for restaurants on the resort for lunch/dinner?
Prices are off the folio, but the exact choices and servings are from memory--so maybe not completely accurate--but pretty close. Meal 1 at Red Rum was 1,390,620 VND ++ (so about $61.50 USD++)--consisting of a huge garden salad (enough for 4 people); grilled chicken entrée; beef strip steak and a G&T.

Meal #2 at Tempus Fugit was 1,085,700++ (about $48++) for fried rice (was supposed to be chicken fried rice but the lady just wanted plain--so don't know if there was a deduction); black pepper stir fried beef; glass of Chard.

Meal #3 at Red Rum was 1,367,520++ (about $60.50++) for grilled fish; lamb chops; G&T and glass of Chard.

Not bad by resort prices and the food was very good at both venues.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:02 am
dfe
In memoriam

Sorry forgot to mention that we always have a big late breakfast and skip lunch--so can't comment on lunch offerings or prices.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

dfe, thanks for the detailed trip report. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the report - lack of info on things to do there from someone who likes to venture outside makes me even more concerned that the place is nothing more than an isolated (even though well built) resort...

After travelling 6000 mi i prefer to venture out and explore the area so i hope to see more comments on what is out there to do - boating/snorkeling, island exploration, restaurants/markets etc...

I hope this is not just another hainan or nusa dua kind of place...

Last edited by azepine00; May 9, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Old May 9, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by azepine00
Thanks for the report - lack of info on things to do there from someone who likes to venture outside makes me even more concerned that the place is nothing more than an isolated (even though well built) resort...

After travelling 6000 mi i prefer to venture out and explore the area so i hope to see more comments on what is out there to do - boating/snorkeling, island exploration, restaurants/markets etc...

You can take a boat trip.
You can hire a scooter/motorbike and go explore the island (find other beaches).
You can go into the main town and try restaurants.
You can bike round the island and try restaurants on the beach.

I guess you can snorkel as well although I didn't try that and I don't know if there's any high quality reefs to explore.

The point is that there's nothing to keep you locked in the resort if you're the adventurous type but, yes, it is a relatively small island so you can't expect to do absolutely everything.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by azepine00

Yea, I agree with you. Everything I have read suggests this is not a place you go to if you want to go out and explore vietnam. Seems more suited for people who may have been to Vietnam before and have hit most of the highlights, or who just want to have a nice resort experience and just relax, or maybe someone on a prolonged tour of the region who wants to take a break and just rest up for a few days. Personally while I like resorts I feel its a waste of my vacation if I spend the entire time in a resort. Other people feel the exact opposite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.