Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
The turquoise suites are stunning. The villas though nice have no ocean views. I would not want them and chose against them actually when offered
JHake10 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
None, but you don't even want the villa to be honest - they're around the back of the property, and although they're huge, they have no ocean views or anything. The Turquoise suite is perfect.
Agreed, The Turquoise Suite was the by far one of the top best rooms I've enjoyed. You'll love it!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: Marriott TE, AC75K
Xmas Holiday 2019 bookings at JW Marriott Phu Quoc are now available!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
None, but you don't even want the villa to be honest - they're around the back of the property, and although they're huge, they have no ocean views or anything. The Turquoise suite is perfect.
Originally Posted by SHLTP
The turquoise suites are stunning. The villas though nice have no ocean views. I would not want them and chose against them actually when offered
Sounds good! I'm looking forward to the Turquoise suite.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I'm at the hotel for a 7 night stay which was booked last Feb when it was still 25K pts/night, so was able to pay for it with one of my Cat 1-4 Travel Package certs. I was upgraded to a Turquoise Suite at the far end of the property which has a fabulous unobstructed view of the ocean and complete privacy (unlike a lot of the ground floor rooms where there are huge windows looking right into the bedroom). The suite is gorgeous. I counted that the living room seats 9, the bedroom seats 7 (not incl the bed) and the balcony seats 7 as well! I'm guessing the posts on my 4 poster bed are 10 ft tall! There is a platter of tropical fruit in my room that seems to get bigger every day. There was also a bottle of Cab Sauvignon delivered on my first night.

At check-in, I was offered a RESORT CASH CREDIT CHECK-IN DEAL. You can commit to spending a certain amount and you get increasing bonuses depending on how much you spend. The amounts available (in VND) are:

Amt Purch ------- Bonus ----- Total amt
5,000,000 -------- 10% ------- 5,500,000
10,000,000 ------- 15% ------ 11,500,000
15,000,000 ------- 20% ------ 18,000,000
20,000,000 ------- 25% ------ 25,000,000

Apparently, you can keep increasing your amount until 2 days before check out.

I had to choose between 1000 pts welcome amenity or buffet breakfast for 7 days, so that was a no-brainer.

The hotel is whimsical and themed throughout. It reminds me of the little villages that you find at ski resorts like Whistler and Mont Tremblant. The staff is top notch and super attentive. My first day at the breakfast restaurant, the manager Seven, offered to show me around. To shorten the tour, I told him I was a vegetarian (so we could bypass all the meat stations). He said "Oh, you're in room XXXX". (They had asked about dietary restrictions in my pre-arrival email.) Most Vietnamese food is made with fish sauce, so he had me pick out a few dishes I wanted to try, and they brought me the vegetarian versions. The food is amazing.

I've been enjoying Happy Hour in the Dept of Chemistry Bar almost every day (5-7 pm) and drinks are BOGO free. Hotel is very green. The mojitos are served with grass straws! (Not the kind on your lawn, but more like a very thin, hollow reed.) On top of that, there were 2 bamboo straws in my room with a coupon inviting me to redeem them in the Dept of Chemistry Bar for two specially crafted cocktails. (Make sure you check out the bar washrooms. Very cool!)

As has been mentioned many times, there is a lot of trash that washes up on the shore here. The hotel probably has 2 dozen employees whose sole job is to keep cleaning up the beach. Very sad what we have done to our oceans. The water is warm for swimming and the beach is very nice to walk on.

What did surprise me, was the number of plastic water bottles in my room and the fact that there was nowhere to refill the bottles. Usually, I just go to the gym to refill my bottles from a 5 gal jug, but in this case, all I found in the gym were more plastic bottles. I mentioned it to Varun, the F&B manager, and he told me that they have some water dispensers on order, so hopefully there will be an option for people who are trying to do their part at reducing plastic waste. In the meantime, he suggested I could have my empty bottles refilled in the restaurant.

I received a personalized invitation for a "VIP cocktail with the resort management team" for tomorrow evening where they will be serving drinks and canapes.

Edit: Forgot to mention the spa. The spa is great with an Alice in Wonderland kind of theme. I found the prices to be rather high given that we are in SE Asia, but they had a Spa Buffet package which was quite attractive (but not eligible for the Plat 20% discount).

VND 3,000,000 ++/couple/60mins treatment
VND 3,500,000++/couple/90 mins treatment
VND 4,500,000++/couple/120 mins treatment

I purchased the 2nd package and am treating myself to 3 hrs of spa treatments spread out over 4 days (2X30 min sessions and 2X60 min sessions). Whoever came up with package # 3 is weak on math.

Overall, a great vacation, and I wouldn't hesitate to come back.
Fishy, UASPG, ankomonkey and 2 others like this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Jan 23, 2019 at 6:59 am Reason: Added spa information
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Aah, the mighty Seven. Look out for Bao working the main pool towel desk - good guy.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Aah, the mighty Seven. Look out for Bao working the main pool towel desk - good guy.
Bao is legit. Also Anh in the restaurant/beach. Only one who remembered that we had a coconut water, a Pepsi and a beer every day mid day at the beach.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Bao is legit. Also Anh in the restaurant/beach. Only one who remembered that we had a coconut water, a Pepsi and a beer every day mid day at the beach.
It was fairly quiet when we stayed in August and we found ourselves chatting to Bao most days when we went to/around the pool. Genuinely nice guy based on those experiences. My 6 year-old son also fell in love with one of the waitresses at Red Rum, but she was returning to HCMC permanently soon after we left.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
It was fairly quiet when we stayed in August and we found ourselves chatting to Bao most days when we went to/around the pool. Genuinely nice guy based on those experiences. My 6 year-old son also fell in love with one of the waitresses at Red Rum, but she was returning to HCMC permanently soon after we left.
For all the negatives that I have for the property (and there aren't many, but there are some) "overcrowding" is really not one. We were there over Xmas and besides not having a mandatory Xmas dinner, which was very appreciated, the hotel was totally packed - and yet, there was just not a feeling of a massive number of people being there. Major plus of this property.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happy birthday!

Today is the hotel’s 2nd anniversary. They had helium filled balloons at breakfast for the kids (wonder how many of those will end up in the ocean) and sparkling wine for the adults.

I finally met Bao yesterday (I prefer beach/ocean to pools so hadn’t run into him yet) and sent regards from FT.

The manager’s reception was quite nice last night. Met a legacy SPG member with over 2000 nights (I think that even tops @yyznomad) who is quite disappointed with the merger and he’s not even on FT! He’s moving his stays to other chains.

We agreed that this property is truly exceptional though. Every day I notice something new. The attention to detail in the decor is just amazing. This morning, I took a walk through Lover’s Lane, a winding elaborate walkway with dozens of pillars, archways and quotes on the walls which is aesthetically pleasing, but has no real purpose and must have added a lot to the construction costs.

The service is awesome too. Yesterday, I used the app chat to try to find if I could buy dental floss at the hotel. They sent me to the picture store which has various toiletry items but alas no floss (even though they did try to sell me teeth whitener, which is almost the same thing, right ). Anyhow, Dokie at breakfast today offered to get some for me and bring it tomorrow. I declined since I’m leaving in 2 days, but wow!

Weather has been almost perfect for my entire stay. I really lucked out!
lrbenko and ftrichard like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
You've all convinced me to put this on my list either later this year or early 2020. Given that it's difficult to get to (one flight to HCMC and another to the island, right?) so will take a day each way... what's an ideal amount of time there? There's nothing around it, right? Three nights? Four?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ftrichard
You've all convinced me to put this on my list either later this year or early 2020. Given that it's difficult to get to (one flight to HCMC and another to the island, right?) so will take a day each way... what's an ideal amount of time there? There's nothing around it, right? Three nights? Four?
I guess it depends on what you want. I decided to make full use of my 7 night travel certificate (for a change) and I'm enjoying being a couch/beach potato. All I need is a chair on the beach, a drink and a book (or my iPad) and I'm happy. I swim in the ocean every day and I made full use of the spa while I was here. I also hang out in the Dept of Chemistry Bar with Sunny for Happy Hour every evening. She just made me a very tasty lemongrass mojito.

The hotel has a list of activities that they offer every day (beer yoga, Japanese gastronomy class, mixology, marine biology, hat painting, surf yoga, to name a few). They also have bicycles, kayaks and paddle boards you can rent. There are a number of tours you can book from the hotel (cable car trip, north island tour, food safari, island hopping, fishing, snorkeling, etc). I know a lot of people also go into the nearby village. I chose not to as I have no room in my carry on to bring anything home (I'm on a 3 week trip BKK, KUL, SIN, PQC, SGN) and I really don't want to eat in a restaurant that might not understand my dietary restrictions. (I'm actually more concerned about not having enough to do on my 5 night trip to Al Maha coming up in March as there is no ocean in the desert!)

As far as getting here, I was at the SIN do beforehand, and I traveled on Air Asia SIN-KUL-PQC. To go back, I want to spend a couple of days in SGN since I didn't like it when I was there 7-8 yrs ago, and I want to give it another chance. I will then fly SGN-SIN-AMD on SQ award ticket with an immediate turn before flying AMD-SIN-EWR (the longest flight in the world) to get back to NA.

When I was planning my annual January SE Asia trip last Feb, I made speculative bookings at both the Marriott Hua Hin and the JW Emerald Bay. I hummed and hawed as I heard negative things about both properties, but finally settled on this one since I had it locked in at cat 4 before it became a 5 whereas the Hua Hin stayed a 4. My expectations were fully in check, and maybe that's why I was so pleasantly surprised. The hotel in itself is a destination because it is so interesting. Now that I've gone on and on about how great this place is, I hope the next person isn't disappointed! LOL
UASPG and ftrichard like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl
SNIP (I'm on a 3 week trip BKK, KUL, SIN, PQC, SGN) SNIP
Great trip. Hope you're at LeM in SGN.

I didn't think of flying from KL. I could combine two weekends in KL with the intervening Mon-Fri at the JW in Phu Quoc. That would be great. I was looking at Bali (again) later this year for some fun and sun but this itinerary is probably better. Thinks. Thinks.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
...I finally met Bao yesterday (I prefer beach/ocean to pools so hadn’t run into him yet) and sent regards from FT.
Glad you're enjoying your trip!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard
We flew to BKK and the BKK-Phu Quoc on Bangkok Airways. With 2 kids under 10 who loved the ocean and paddle boards, we had no problem filling 7 days between a snorkelling trip, beach, pool and taking some of the classes (we have our lanterns, painted hats and more at home).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.