Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Funny how you read through this thread and the hotel has gone from being paradise on earth to the biggest dump in SE Asia, lol. All in the span of - what - a year? Only on FT.

(People who haven't even been to the property are advising others to email the CEO of Marriott to complain. Priceless.)

Last edited by Diplomatico; Nov 27, 2017 at 7:34 am
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by flo_147
Hey guys,

I was already in touch with the hotel regarding the award room problem for next year, because the hotel pulled the whole award inventory 2018. I guess that is not in line with the Marriott T&Cs either.

The reply from the hotel basically was: "... all standard rooms (Emerald Bay View) are closed for next year in our system. Currently, we just open the from Le Jardin to higher category for sales."

The Marriott customer service agents - after I made them aware of the problem - just replied me with a stupid c&p'ed sentence from the Marriott T&Cs.

So who else can I contact to address this problem?

Thx!
That's strange. I'm seeing award inventory for most of April, May, June & July. Just picked random months.

Cheers.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What type of wine do they serve?

I can't believe they limit it to 1 snack. What if they did that at breakfast? Sorry, sir. One croissant for you.
Sorry, I was unclear- the plate of snacks is an entire plate of canapés and is quite generous. The happy hour wine is Chilean if I recall correctly- a Sauvignon blanc and a cab. The Sauvignon blanc was OK, nothing to write home about but it was drinkable. The margarita was good. Haven't tried the red wine.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: LH*G, FB*G, IC *free minibar*, SLH, RC 5C-Club, LHW, and a lot of others
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That's strange. I'm seeing award inventory for most of April, May, June & July. Just picked random months.

Cheers.
True! Seems like they are now offering award rooms, but just not for Jan-Mar :/
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Had an awkward and annoying start to my stay, but service recovery was remarkable and I figured out how to avoid some of the problems. IMHO the biggest problem here is the staff - they are extremely friendly and want to please but due to language (or lack of) lots of things go wrong. The solution is to find the one (or two or three) people who speak (and understand) your language - in my case English- and deal only with them, not phone the concierge or whoever answers the phone. Double check everything, and be prepared for lots of misinformation that is given with the best of intent but often wrong (eg concierge told me there are NO restaurants out on the main road - in fact there are many but maybe he thought local places weren't to be recommended. Another staff told me the correct info and recommended some places).
As for the night market - the hotel's free shuttle is a blessing b/c it is quite far. Yes it is very touristy, but not a bad bit of fun. Tons of restaurants with the same fish on display (and the same prices) and some other interesting food stuff but loud, crowded and certainly not a local market. That said there are also a few restaurants down the street from the market that seem reasonable (and quieter). I ate in one that had reasonable prices and good food.
As for construction - yes there are problems - the cement and stone walkways are disintegrating and being replaced piecemeal, but my room (which I don't believe was ug'd despite a folder saying I was) is fine as are the photo's in my building (at least the ones I've seen) as is most of the building (except for some pooling water in the hallways which seems to be the result of not properly leveled floor.
This is a uniquely designed and very whimsical place on a nice stretch of beach (with water that is totally dependent on the winds - which are not under the hotels control) and while swimming in the ocean is impractical at times there are pools that are pleasant and have comfortable water (quite a nice change after the cold water in the hotels in Saigon where the pools never get sun b/c of all the high rise buildings).
The offered classes are a nice touch and many are free.
While there are lots of training issues (a new luxury hotel on an island is probably not the easiest to staff) and the difficulty getting correct information can be challenging it is, nonetheless, a beautiful property in a beautiful location without (for the moment) the horrible overcrowding and beach hawkers one finds in similar places.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baby61212
I packed a small disposable Tupperware (plastic food container) and have been using it to pack a mini charcuterie picnic every morning from the buffet. Nobody has said anything but I do have a giant purse and it's so busy I don't think anyone has noticed. The small container fits into the room's mini fridge, which isn't one of those annoying weight sensor ones so you can actually store things in there. The charcuterie tides me over till happy hour snack time.

Woohoo i am bringing a rolling cooler to buffet (and of course plat reception)!
imverge likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:18 pm

Just got back from a one-week stay. I think the comments here, in the aggregate, give a very fair description of the property. Here's our experience and impressions:

We had a garden room (Jardin), literally the one they show with the flanking hounds. (Only downside was that some other guests entered our little grass area to take pictures.) I think this is considered an upgrade, though other than having a semi-private grass area, I think its the same as the base "standard" room. It was spacious with a marvelous bathroom (roughly half the total floor area). A few quibbles with the room:
- The room is billed as 1.5 baths, but it's really 0.5 + 0.5 = 1.0 -- one small powder room with a toilet and little sink, and one huge room with a shower, separate tub, and two sink vanities.
- The little hallway (inside our room) and powder room had a moldy smell -- which fortunately did not extend to the rest of the room.
- I think the refrigerator wasn't as cold as a "real" fridge. Not a big deal for just cooling water and soft drinks, but not great for storing milk (for a child).
- There was construction going on just outside our room the last few days, which meant that whenever we entered through the main door (as opposed to the glass door to the grass) we had to pass through and track in construction dust (particularly with a stroller). Had it started a few days earlier we would have asked to switch rooms.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, but, as others have stated, not everyone understands English well. We had a few instances where our requests weren't handled properly (presumably due to language), but nothing terribly annoying. Estnet's suggestion of always going through a couple of good-English speakers sounds like a good suggestion.

We did not go swimming in the sea. Despite heroic efforts to clean the beach (including a bulldozer and some military troops), so much trash washes up (depending on the season and winds, we were told), that we did not feel safe going by/in the water. (We saw syringes, and other guests showed us a needle they found. When we saw a family with a child playing on the beach by the water on a relatively clean beach day, our immediate thought was that this must be their first day.) We stuck to the pools, and the sand by the hammocks and lounge chairs, away from the sea. In short, don't come to this hotel (at this time of year) to swim in the sea.

We were quite happy with the children's and sea shell swimming pools. The middle pool seemed a bit murkier most days.

The place never seemed crowded. Tempus Fugit during breakfast and the Chemistry Department during happy hour could get pretty full (once or twice at the Chemistry Department we needed to sit at the bar for a while until a table/bed became available).

As of last week elites (gold & plat) were getting free breakfast (6:30-11am). The breakfast is great. We were on a bit of an odd (for us) schedule in that we'd wake up before 6am, have a relatively light breakfast at 6:30am, then come back for a late breakfast (effectively early lunch) around 10:30am. (We checked repeatedly, and were told it's fine to do this.)

Regarding food, elites supposedly get a 15% discount on all food & beverages. There's a caveat, which wasn't mentioned until checkout, that the 15% discount doesn't apply to any bill on which any other discount appears. For us this was most relevant at the French & Co "bakery", where we had dinner a couple of times and some pastries and drinks (which were a small part of the bill) were 50% off -- so we didn't get the 15% discount on any part of the bill. I think I probably could have gone through each bill and got them to give me a 15% discount on all the non-discounted items, but it didn't seem worth the trouble so I didn't bother.

I agree that opening another restaurant or two would be a positive.

The Kids Club is great. We took our toddler there every day -- sometimes for activities, sometimes just to play. It was not crowded. Children 4yo+ (I think) can be left on their own; those <4yo need to be supervised by an adult. One can hire a babysitter; though we didn't do this (and I don't know the cost), we did see one baby (<1yo?) being attended by a babysitter, and it seemed fine.

We participated in various scheduled child and adult activities (one or two per day), and generally enjoyed them. In fact, several times we were the only ones to show up, and they were quite happy to accommodate us.

Someone mentioned kids running around unsupervised. Perhaps I'm biased, having been there with a toddler, but I didn't get that impression at all.

Overall we had a very pleasant and relaxing experience. We went to the night market once, which was fine (and enough), and otherwise just relaxed (as much as one can with a toddler) on the property. I'd say everything is pretty much as advertised, with the main concern being that the sea is too polluted to swim in.
ankomonkey likes this.

Last edited by AbelianGrape; Nov 27, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
What concerns me is that this hotel is still relatively new, but is obviously having issues related to the durability of materials used in construction and wear-and-tear caused by weather. What will it be like in 5 years from now? I've seen too many resorts in tropical locales that made bad decisions with respect to construction materials and/or architectural design and then furthered the problem by neglecting preventive maintenance.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:15 pm

What will it be like in 5 years from now?
That's a fair concern, but I'm not going to worry about it until the next time I'm considering visiting the hotel.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by soy
I would agree with your assessment.
I think they are in a vicious circle, the elaborate design means that it will cost so much more to maintain, so they need to sustain the cash rates in order to be able to pay for the inevitable repairs. If they slip, it will go into a downwards spiral real fast.
Yes, but the problem is , this hotel opened less than a year. Those cracks and defects are not the problem of " maintain" but a problem of horrible construction quality from the very beginning they built and painting , and what kind of standard contractor followed.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
Yes, but the problem is , this hotel opened less than a year. Those cracks and defects are not the problem of " maintain" but a problem of horrible construction quality from the very beginning they built and painting , and what kind of standard contractor followed.
how is that different from any other new construction in developing markets?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I've seen too many resorts in tropical locales that made bad decisions with respect to construction materials and/or architectural design and then furthered the problem by neglecting preventive maintenance.
A notable example was The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa in Phuket with cracks appearing in many places as soon as the hotel opened - or shortly after. And, there were many other maintenance issues as well.

From what I recall, there was, like at the JW Marriott Phu Quoc, a trash issue on the beach, depending on the currents.

We never went back.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

So if I understand the last several posts, those who are concerned about trash at certain times of the year & potential cracks etc won't be staying here. Others who still like the other trip reports & overall ambiance of the property will still book here.. And those who want to basically eat for free, stuffing their Tupperware & hitting all the freebies, definitely will. What did I miss?

Cheers.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Baby61212
I packed a small disposable Tupperware (plastic food container) and have been using it to pack a mini charcuterie picnic every morning from the buffet. Nobody has said anything but I do have a giant purse and it's so busy I don't think anyone has noticed. The small container fits into the room's mini fridge, which isn't one of those annoying weight sensor ones so you can actually store things in there. The charcuterie tides me over till happy hour snack time.
Thats a bit much. It amazes me the lengths some people will go.... sheesh

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.