Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by MikeFly
I'm in love with the Six Senses on Con Dau.
This hotel has been on my radar even before it opened, but every time I check the rates, the Starwood, IHG, and now Marriott, programs pull me back with the resort stays that I mostly pay with points.
Lately, reading some of the posts on the Marriott Phu Quoc, I am wondering if I did not make a mistake by not choosing a hotel that was more appealing to me, even with the cost attached to it.
The experience would probably be quite different at the Six Senses, especially now that I know that I won't be swimming in front of the JW Marriott Phu Quoc.

Last edited by UASPG; Nov 26, 2017 at 8:56 am
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Am here right now. Not sure why so many reported there are no local restaurants nearby- there are plenty just across the street from the resort entrance. Granted the entrance street is long and you'll walk about 20-25 minutes from your room, but if you rent a bike it's 10 min and a motorbike only a few minutes. I ate at a restaurant called Kim Dao last night, it was recommended by Josh from the hotel, food was amazing and clean and 1/3 the price of the food at the resort. We had squid, herring salad (so good!), beef with lemongrass and roasted sea urchins.. The hotel staff will point you to several local restaurants. Enjoy!

Last edited by Baby61212; Nov 26, 2017 at 7:59 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Baby61212
Am here right now. Not sure why so many reported there are no local restaurants nearby- there are plenty just across the street from the resort entrance. Granted the entrance street is long and you'll walk about 20-25 minutes from your room, but if you rent a bike it's 10 min and a motorbike only a few minutes. I ate at a restaurant called Kim Dao last night, it was recommended by Josh form the hotel, food was amazing and clean and 1/3 the price of the food at the resort. We had squid, herring salad (so good!), beef with lemongrass and roasted sea urchins.. The hotel staff will point you to several local restaurants. Enjoy!
I don't trust Vietnam's food safety and health regulations to eat in a 'local' restaurant.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You should consider writing Marriott as obviously someone from corporate should know this:

Craig Smith, President and Managing Director, Asia Pacific
[email protected]
What part would they be interested in knowing? I think they are aware of most of this.

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
The painting and construction quality of the hotel is indeed terrible and the worst I've seen, a lot of paintings inside the building, wall, roof is faded or not painting well(I took several pics for if anyone want to see pm me), ,Turquoise suite leaking water from AC everyday , it's such as waste for the marvelous design !
I wish I had taken a picture of the steps right outside of the Department of Chemistry bar. It looked like they were 20 years old with many of the bottom rows caved in. It will be an endless battle against the elements when you don't use quality materials from the initial construction. Another thing that stuck out to me was the designs were quite beautiful, but I'm not sure how practical they are. The bathrooms were honestly gorgeous, but with the rainfall shower next to the wood trim windows that get wet every time, I think it won't be long before they start to rot. I really do hope this place is able to overcome the challenges ahead. I would rate the staff 10/10, and would love for this property to make sense for me to visit again in the future. As it stands now, Thanksgiving time is a no go if you have any interest in the ocean. Snorkeling would be a complete waste of time, as even at 3 feet deep you wouldn't even be able to see the ocean floor with the water as dirty as it is now. I ended up trying to paddleboard, which was fun but very difficult due to the strong winds and waves. A couple other guests tried it at the same time as me and nobody was able to stay on very long, but the teacher was able to so it's definitely doable if you have a lot of experience. We just got home now and wish we had washed our swimming gear out better. All our bags smell like the ocean sewage water.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I don't trust Vietnam's food safety and health regulations to eat in a 'local' restaurant.
Never had a problem. Some good eats too.
Baby61212 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: QF KF
What's the latest on breakfast there? I'm SPG/Marriot Gold and booked on points.

Staying there start of January 2018.

Edit: also is there a contact email for a manager or something there? would like to organise some things before we get there.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
What part would they be interested in knowing? I think they are aware of most of this.

I wish I had taken a picture of the steps right outside of the Department of Chemistry bar. It looked like they were 20 years old with many of the bottom rows caved in. It will be an endless battle against the elements when you don't use quality materials from the initial construction. Another thing that stuck out to me was the designs were quite beautiful, but I'm not sure how practical they are. The bathrooms were honestly gorgeous, but with the rainfall shower next to the wood trim windows that get wet every time, I think it won't be long before they start to rot. I really do hope this place is able to overcome the challenges ahead. I would rate the staff 10/10, and would love for this property to make sense for me to visit again in the future. As it stands now, Thanksgiving time is a no go if you have any interest in the ocean. Snorkeling would be a complete waste of time, as even at 3 feet deep you wouldn't even be able to see the ocean floor with the water as dirty as it is now. I ended up trying to paddleboard, which was fun but very difficult due to the strong winds and waves. A couple other guests tried it at the same time as me and nobody was able to stay on very long, but the teacher was able to so it's definitely doable if you have a lot of experience. We just got home now and wish we had washed our swimming gear out better. All our bags smell like the ocean sewage water.
How can you assume they know? I think guests who experience these issues owe it to the next guest to alert corporate.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I think that you might get a nasty surprise eating off hotel menus in SE Asia! With local preparation you can check over at how food is prepared and stored. International hotels, not so much.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by hummel
What's the latest on breakfast there? I'm SPG/Marriot Gold and booked on points.

Staying there start of January 2018.

Edit: also is there a contact email for a manager or something there? would like to organise some things before we get there.
Am here now and free breakfast is provided as well as happy hour from 4-5pm in the Dept. of Chemistry with unlimited drinks and 1 plate of snacks. I'm platinum but as I understand it, gold gets the same benefits.

I emailed in advance but found that calling the hotel got a lot better response.

Last edited by Baby61212; Nov 26, 2017 at 7:56 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: QF KF
Am here now and free breakfast is provided as well as happy hour from 4-5pm in the Dept. of Chemistry with unlimited drinks and 1 plate of snacks. I'm platinum but as I understand it, gold gets the same benefits.

I emailed in advance but found that calling the hotel got a lot better response.
Appreciate it mate!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by hummel
Appreciate it mate!
I packed a small disposable Tupperware (plastic food container) and have been using it to pack a mini charcuterie picnic every morning from the buffet. Nobody has said anything but I do have a giant purse and it's so busy I don't think anyone has noticed. The small container fits into the room's mini fridge, which isn't one of those annoying weight sensor ones so you can actually store things in there. The charcuterie tides me over till happy hour snack time.

They have decent happy hour specials: red rum is buy 1 get 1 select drinks from 3-5. The gold and plat happy hour is 4-5, and when that's over, from 5-7 the same bar has buy 1 get 1 drinks. From 7-9, the bakery / French cafe is 50% off. Combine all these with the free breakfast and you can get by without spending too much at all. But I highly recommend visiting Kim Dao restaurant right outside the resort as the food there is much better than any of the resort food I've tasted, and just a fraction of the cost.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: LH*G, FB*G, IC *free minibar*, SLH, RC 5C-Club, LHW, and a lot of others
No Award Rooms for the whole next year

Hey guys,

I was already in touch with the hotel regarding the award room problem for next year, because the hotel pulled the whole award inventory 2018. I guess that is not in line with the Marriott T&Cs either.

The reply from the hotel basically was: "... all standard rooms (Emerald Bay View) are closed for next year in our system. Currently, we just open the from Le Jardin to higher category for sales."

The Marriott customer service agents - after I made them aware of the problem - just replied me with a stupid c&p'ed sentence from the Marriott T&Cs.

So who else can I contact to address this problem?

Thx!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flo_147
Hey guys,

I was already in touch with the hotel regarding the award room problem for next year, because the hotel pulled the whole award inventory 2018. I guess that is not in line with the Marriott T&Cs either.

The reply from the hotel basically was: "... all standard rooms (Emerald Bay View) are closed for next year in our system. Currently, we just open the from Le Jardin to higher category for sales."

The Marriott customer service agents - after I made them aware of the problem - just replied me with a stupid c&p'ed sentence from the Marriott T&Cs.

So who else can I contact to address this problem?

Thx!
For the entire year? Time to contact Marriott:

[email protected] - CEO
[email protected] - Chairman
[email protected] - Senior vice president for loyalty (runs Marriott Rewards, SPG, and Ritz-Carlton Rewards)
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:58 am
Suspended

What type of wine do they serve?

I can't believe they limit it to 1 snack. What if they did that at breakfast? Sorry, sir. One croissant for you.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:31 am
soy

Programs: various
What type of wine do they serve?

I can't believe they limit it to 1 snack. What if they did that at breakfast? Sorry, sir. One croissant for you.
It's not a snack, its canapes and it arrives as a plate with 3 different items on it.
I cannot imagine asking for seconds. Its not supposed to be a meal substitute. Getting extra drinks on the other hand is no problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.