Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta, Marroitt, Hilton
We have taken the shuttle in twice to Duong Dong. The first night we ate at Xin Chao. You pass it as you drive in, maybe 200 - 300 back. It was really good. We had 2 starters, 2 meals, 4 beers and a glass of wine for 760k. Last night we went ate in the night market. Food was ok, cockroach x2 on the wall next to us and it was 650 with no wine ordered. They do make home made ice cream in some stalls at the night market and it was worth watching, friends said it was good. Felt very safe and everyone was friendly.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
What kind of food did you order at both places? Price comparisons are more helpful if we know what we are comparing - noodles to shrimp? Just would like to know - also your view of freshness, quality, etc. please.
As for cockroaches - I despise them but really hard to control in that kind of environment (I remember when I saw a rat at a restaurant near Tsukiji in Tokyo - one of the cleanest city/countries in the world but those little critters - insect and rodent have us beat)

Originally Posted by David...
We have taken the shuttle in twice to Duong Dong. The first night we ate at Xin Chao. You pass it as you drive in, maybe 200 - 300 back. It was really good. We had 2 starters, 2 meals, 4 beers and a glass of wine for 760k. Last night we went ate in the night market. Food was ok, cockroach x2 on the wall next to us and it was 650 with no wine ordered. They do make home made ice cream in some stalls at the night market and it was worth watching, friends said it was good. Felt very safe and everyone was friendly.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:40 am

Any data points on using an AmEx card at the resort? They tried but couldn’t use two of my AmEx cards at the French bakery/cafe.

Last edited by AbelianGrape; Nov 21, 2017 at 6:03 am
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
Any data points on using an AmEx card at the resort? They tried but couldn’t use two of my AmEx cards at the French bakery/cafe.
I charged everything to my room and then used my SPG card to pay the bill at checkout without any issues.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: VA
Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
Originally Posted by ncSam
I charged everything to my room and then used my SPG card to pay the bill at checkout without any issues.
ditto just charge to room and settle at checkout
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by olouie
The water is really dirty and beach is dirty until they sweep it in the morning and afternoon. Looks like there might be some stuff at the very end of the beach but big piles of trash washed up make it hard to walk over.

Went into the water this morning and got poked by something in there. Felt like a very sharp sting. Hopefully nothing too bad...
Originally Posted by Panache
Thanks for the detailed description! We are also going next month and was wondering whether it was necessary to shell out $25 for the visa as we are only going to PQC but connecting on the way out and in in SGN.

How long is the connection process? We have 2 and 3 hours respectively on the outbound and inbound in SGN. Enough time to enjoy a few drinks in the PP lounge?
We needed to clear immigration, collect bags and walk to the domestic terminal and then re check in the bags. Took about 30-45 mins all up. Would’ve been quicker without small children! We estimated way too long and spent too long In the pp lounge. About 5 hours all up but difficult to predict as was hard to find data points on connecting, let alone the visa free entry process. If we’d only allowed one-two hours it would’ve been enough With the benefit of hindsight
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Is it actually worth going here? What makes this different than any other beach resort?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I was there last week Thursday to Saturday. The hotel is unique in it's design which made the trip worthwhile for me. I was upgraded to a Turquoise Suite on an award stay. The staff was incredible throughout my stay. Everyone was friendly and willing to go out of their way to be helpful. In fact Joan at Red Rum was able to instantly read that I did not want to sit anywhere near "Eva" and found an appropriate table. (Inside joke for some people that were there during that time period. )

The amount of garbage on the beach and in the water was a real worry. The hotel worked overtime on Thursday and Friday to clean it up. I was impressed with what they were able to accomplish. I spoke with the hostess at the Department of Chemistry about it and she said it was a temporary issue and during the dry season the water is crystal clear wit no garbage. Sea urchins and jelly fish could still be a concern though.
The other thing I noticed is that despite being a year old the ravages of being seaside and in a tropical climate is starting to show with mold and water damage. The hotel is going to have a fight against nature on their hands soon.

I think there is a total of 4 or 5 public pools. I would highly suggest that at least one pool be designated as an adult only pool.

Pink Pearl also needs to open as a more upscale dining outlet would be appreciated. The empty shops on the shopping street rue Lamarck need to have tenants so that the existing ones have a better chance of surviving.

Closing on a positive note - the attention to detail to 'recreate' Lamarck University is impressive. I was extremely happy to have been in the region with some time off to check out the place. If I'm on vacation in SEAsia, I would consider this property.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MikeFly
Closing on a positive note - the attention to detail to 'recreate' Lamarck University is impressive. I was extremely happy to have been in the region with some time off to check out the place. If I'm on vacation in SEAsia, I would consider this property.
Thanks for the review.

The pictures look great on the website but it does seem there may be limited activities in the area and limited food off property along with the beach issues. Thinking about hitting SEAsia over the New Years. @VinceChan suggested that the JW at Phuket is better. Any other recommendations as alternatives to this property?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFly
I was there last week Thursday to Saturday. The hotel is unique in it's design which made the trip worthwhile for me. I was upgraded to a Turquoise Suite on an award stay. The staff was incredible throughout my stay. Everyone was friendly and willing to go out of their way to be helpful. In fact Joan at Red Rum was able to instantly read that I did not want to sit anywhere near "Eva" and found an appropriate table. (Inside joke for some people that were there during that time period. )

The amount of garbage on the beach and in the water was a real worry. The hotel worked overtime on Thursday and Friday to clean it up. I was impressed with what they were able to accomplish. I spoke with the hostess at the Department of Chemistry about it and she said it was a temporary issue and during the dry season the water is crystal clear wit no garbage. Sea urchins and jelly fish could still be a concern though.
The other thing I noticed is that despite being a year old the ravages of being seaside and in a tropical climate is starting to show with mold and water damage. The hotel is going to have a fight against nature on their hands soon.

I think there is a total of 4 or 5 public pools. I would highly suggest that at least one pool be designated as an adult only pool.

Pink Pearl also needs to open as a more upscale dining outlet would be appreciated. The empty shops on the shopping street rue Lamarck need to have tenants so that the existing ones have a better chance of surviving.

In the middle of a week long stay and this review is spot on. However, in talking to other staff and locals it seems like the dirty beach and water is not really a seasonal issue anymore due to the rapid pace of development in the area - much of it is just trash thrown into the water by people on Phu Quoc or passing cruise ships. I think when the waters are calmer less of the trash floats in so that could keep it cleaner, but still much more than other places during same seasons. In other top end resorts in SE Asia we have seen them raking the beaches to make them really clean - here it seems like they get most of the stuff, but lots of little particles of trash remain. Hard to fight it as it washes up all the time.

Would love an adults only pool / dining. The resort was overrun by families with kids the first two days we were here and almost every activity we have been at has had parents who let their kids run wild ruin the atmosphere. There is a kids center so not sure why they don't bring them there instead. Staff is super patient and nice to kids to the point of it being a problem - have seen young kids running around the main restaurant and through the drink preparation area and center cooking area. Not safe for them or the staff. Also makes service really hectic as during the peak times with a bunch of kids running around without supervision. Wasnt expecting that due to design of the resort, but itis very common in other Asian resorts where parents just expect the staff to watch over their kids.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:21 pm

Anyone end up in suite 1501? It was phenomenal. It's a turquoise suite, but has the roof top courtyard with grass and garden, private tower with seating, and a plunge pool. It's the suite they use for the pictures of the turquoise suite and my understanding is that it is the only one with the massive rooftop area and pool.

Last edited by tylerc; Nov 21, 2017 at 4:29 pm Reason: added pictures
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I really want to visit Vietnam and I really want to visit this property, but on the other hand I don't want to spend my time on a beach full of trash when I could just fly to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur and spend my time on a nice rooftop pool.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:56 pm

This is today less than an hour after they cleaned the beach.

Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by olouie
This is today less than an hour after they cleaned the beach.

Yeah. As nice as the property looks, I'm not flying to Vietnam to get sunbath on filthy beaches and worse case scenario get hepatitis from broken glass or, worse yet, a needle.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Breakfast is not free. My parents went a few days ago. Platinum got almost nothing there.
Breakfast is free. I’m only a lowly gold and it was part of the welcome letter plus discounts on food and lots of other things. They make you sign for breakfast then Credit it at checkout. Did they get a plat welcome letter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.