Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
My upgrade experience is consistent with that posted in the wiki. As a gold, I was upgraded to a deluxe room which was fantastic. However, due to an odd check-in issue, I ended up with a suite. They did mention specifically that they saw it was my first time at this property.

Following some other recommendations I saw, I took a Mai Linh taxi (the green ones) from the airport. It came to around 300 VND (metered), which is much cheaper than the hotel transport. I arrived in the middle of the afternoon, and there were plenty of taxis waiting curbside.

One other note I have is that the cocktail hour for elites does still exist as of this post, but is from 4-5 pm instead of 5-6 pm like I believe it was in the past. Gold and platinum elites are still receiving breakfast as well. They are also several opportunities for happy hour specials at various locations throughout the late afternoon, evening, and night.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by ncSam
My upgrade experience is consistent with that posted in the wiki. As a gold, I was upgraded to a deluxe room which was fantastic. However, due to an odd check-in issue, I ended up with a suite. They did mention specifically that they saw it was my first time at this property.

Following some other recommendations I saw, I took a Mai Linh taxi (the green ones) from the airport. It came to around 300 VND (metered), which is much cheaper than the hotel transport. I arrived in the middle of the afternoon, and there were plenty of taxis waiting curbside.

One other note I have is that the cocktail hour for elites does still exist as of this post, but is from 4-5 pm instead of 5-6 pm like I believe it was in the past. Gold and platinum elites are still receiving breakfast as well. They are also several opportunities for happy hour specials at various locations throughout the late afternoon, evening, and night.
Hi Sam! Thanks for sharing!

Did you contact them before your stay to ask about the upgrade? I'm gold as well, and hoping for an upgrade during Thanksgiving week :x
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jlaidoe
Hi Sam! Thanks for sharing!

Did you contact them before your stay to ask about the upgrade? I'm gold as well, and hoping for an upgrade during Thanksgiving week :x
I didn't contact them about the upgrade before my stay. From what I've read and based on my experience as well as the experience of other guests I talked to, they are pretty proactive with upgrades. That being said, I can't see how reaching out beforehand would hurt, it just isn't my style.

I wouldn't expect a suite as a gold, but as I mentioned before, I found the deluxe room to be excellent. It was both spacious and well appointed, with many interesting features and quirks similar to those that are found all around the property. It also had a large balcony with a comfortable seating and great ocean views. I also think some of the suites have resort views as opposed to sea views, so you may prefer standard rooms over some of the suites anyway.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:24 pm

PQC -> SGN flights

With NYC now freezing, the SO decided we need a beach vacation, so we're putting the Marriott 7-night certificate to use at Phu Quoc over the week of Thanksgiving.

We're in Vietnam exactly 7 nights, so my initial thought was to spend all 7 at Phu Quoc, but now I'm a bit concerned about flights. Our flight back home leaves SGN at 11:05am. I was thinking one of the morning flights from PQC (Vietnam Airlines 07:50-08:50; VietJet 07:30-08:30; or Jetstar 07:40-08:45). [Curiously none of the Vietnam Airlines non-stop PQC->SGN flights show up on Google Flights.] People seem to say that Vietnam Airlines is the most reliable (though from recent data (below), Jetstar looks best), but all they all too risky, and should we instead just fly to SGN the day before?

Some data:

Vietnam Airlines: on time 13 of last 14 days -- https://flightaware.com/live/flight/HVN1822/history

Vietjet: the schedule is changing, but it appears to have been on time only 2 of the last 7 -- https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/vj320

Jetstar: on time all of the last 11 days --https://flightaware.com/live/flight/PIC260/history
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
With NYC now freezing, the SO decided we need a beach vacation, so we're putting the Marriott 7-night certificate to use at Phu Quoc over the week of Thanksgiving.

We're in Vietnam exactly 7 nights, so my initial thought was to spend all 7 at Phu Quoc, but now I'm a bit concerned about flights. Our flight back home leaves SGN at 11:05am. I was thinking one of the morning flights from PQC (Vietnam Airlines 07:50-08:50; VietJet 07:30-08:30; or Jetstar 07:40-08:45). [Curiously none of the Vietnam Airlines non-stop PQC->SGN flights show up on Google Flights.] People seem to say that Vietnam Airlines is the most reliable (though from recent data (below), Jetstar looks best), but all they all too risky, and should we instead just fly to SGN the day before?

Some data:

Vietnam Airlines: on time 13 of last 14 days -- https://flightaware.com/live/flight/HVN1822/history

Vietjet: the schedule is changing, but it appears to have been on time only 2 of the last 7 -- https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/vj320

Jetstar: on time all of the last 11 days --https://flightaware.com/live/flight/PIC260/history
Vietnam Airlines would be my choice. Even if the flight is a bit delayed, you've got a 2:15 minute cushion. I've flown VN a couple of times and the flights were on time and relatively comfortable, albeit on some older aircraft.

Vietjet is a throwout based upon their reputation for crap reliability and unannounced cancellations.

Jetstar is pretty low frills from what I understand, even for an LCC. No personal experience, just based upon what I've read online.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:50 pm

Some data:

Be prepared for LOTS of schedule changes with Vietnam Airlines. Since I booked SGN-PQC-SGN 5 months ago... there have been 4 schedule changes with 2 flights out-right cancelled!

They accommodated my flight preference and made changes each time - I'm getting into SGN on BR from Taipei (separate ticket) so I don't want to misconnect.

BTW... If you are going to use them book directly on their website. I compared and they have the lowest fares at least in Business Class.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Vietnam Airlines would be my choice. Even if the flight is a bit delayed, you've got a 2:15 minute cushion. I've flown VN a couple of times and the flights were on time and relatively comfortable, albeit on some older aircraft.

Vietjet is a throwout based upon their reputation for crap reliability and unannounced cancellations.

Jetstar is pretty low frills from what I understand, even for an LCC. No personal experience, just based upon what I've read online.
i second this recommendation. Go with Vietnam Airlines. I had an awful experience with Jetstar with a delay of over 6 hours and no ability or desire to put us on other flights. We wasted a good chunk of our day at Saigon’s airport.

I think the flight times, regardless of the airline you choose, should give you plenty of connection time. Vietnam Airlines May also be able to check your bag all the way thru to your next flight.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Vietnam Airlines May also be able to check your bag all the way thru to your next flight.
That would be great.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:53 pm
soy

Programs: various
Go with VN, there are a few posts in the 'other Asian airlines' forum that discuss this choice if you want more details

PS - they cannot check thru your bag. Just like in the US, you have to collect your bag at SGN, though VN can expedite this process somewhat
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by imverge
Be prepared for LOTS of schedule changes with Vietnam Airlines. Since I booked SGN-PQC-SGN 5 months ago... there have been 4 schedule changes with 2 flights out-right cancelled!

BTW... If you are going to use them book directly on their website. I compared and they have the lowest fares at least in Business Class.
Same experience.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As you take the first morning flight out either one should work in the absence of bad weather. Monitor the inbound and if there is a delay you can probably buy a ticked on the other carrier right there...
i am in the same situation and vn flight got hit with sched chsnge 3 times already. I canceled after second as it made connection near impossible and switched to jetstar which also moved by half hour since (in a good way so far)..
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Be aware that there is no direct domestic to international terminal connection and if your bag can't/won't be checked through you have to collect (unknown time to get it) and lug it to the other terminal to check in - plus get boarding pass and go through security.
BTW we might be there at the same time - PM if you'd like to meet.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Srisarin
With the permission of the property I published, post 242, the properties upgrade for suites.

I think tylerc is still at the property or has just left and will allow him to confirm this policy if he desires.
Has anyone been able to rent a scooter directly from the resort? Hoping to try some food outside the resort, but it all seems to be downtown (30-40 min drive/ride)
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Enjoy your vacation. This JW was the best hotel property I've ever stayed at. Loved it.

I'd recommend flying back to SGN the night before. I can't speak to Vietnam Airlines (I've heard they are reputable), but our experience with VietJet air was they were very unreliable.

Some data:

Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by jlaidoe
Has anyone been able to rent a scooter directly from the resort? Hoping to try some food outside the resort, but it all seems to be downtown (30-40 min drive/ride)
I did. Just ask at the Bell desk. It was very inexpensive. No DL necessary. Helmet provided.

By “downtown” do you mean the area around the night market, Dinh Cau?
I was not uncomfortable riding to many areas on the island, but I’m not sure if I would ride to this area, especially at night. Everyone has their own safety tolerance for this kind of thing of course. The free shuttle is a good choice if you want to head to this area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.