Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming
Marriott Gold and Platinum are almost the same. I'd expect yes for breakfast because you're supposed to get lounge access if there is one. Resorts excepted of course, as in this case. So if this particular one gives Platinums breakfast, it should be the same for Gold.
That's not totally accurate. Some resorts (both US & rest of world) extend some type of bennie to Plats only & not Gold.

However, in this case, a FT friend reached out to the resort & received the following response:

"As of now we’re offering all Gold and Platinum members complimentary breakfast for 2 during their stay (Elite member + guest). Whilst I cannot confirm that this will be permanent it will definitely be for the foreseeable future. I would like to also let you know that our Food and Beverage outlets are now offering 20% discount for Club Marriott members."

Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback and pictures YoungMem!

Definitely looking forward to our trip in a few days.

BTW how did you handle the airport transfer?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by YoungMem
Some photos from around the resort. The rooms look just as they do on hotel website.
Great photos! Beach looks beautiful.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That's not totally accurate. Some resorts (both US & rest of world) extend some type of bennie to Plats only & not Gold.

However, in this case, a FT friend reached out to the resort & received the following response:

"As of now we’re offering all Gold and Platinum members complimentary breakfast for 2 during their stay (Elite member + guest). Whilst I cannot confirm that this will be permanent it will definitely be for the foreseeable future. I would like to also let you know that our Food and Beverage outlets are now offering 20% discount for Club Marriott members."

Cheers.
Perfect, thanks a bunch!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
My wife and I just booked for her birthday in July... this looks great!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
15k point redemptions

Every date I checked up until Oct of this year has redemptions for 15k a night which is fantastic value!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:48 am

Category 3 or 5

Originally Posted by hejustlaughs
Every date I checked up until Oct of this year has redemptions for 15k a night which is fantastic value!
Thanks for the heads up.

My two existing reservations were adjusted to 15,000 points per night. From the rate details page it looks like it's now a Category 3 hotel. I won't be attaching my seven night e-certificate after all. Not that I'm complaining...

""
Summary of Charges
Reward Description Qty Points
Hotel Reward: 5 Nights, Category 3 Hotel 1 60,000
Hotel Reward: 2 Nights, Category 3 Hotel 1 30,000
Total points for stay: 90,000
""

But the main hotel page still shows Category 5.

I wonder if I should cancel and rebook?

Last edited by NotJustDreaming; Jan 31, 2017 at 8:00 am
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Booked 5 nights stay at 60k points too for end of Oct stay. Just hope that breakfast free are permanent 😄
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
5 nights for 60k is insane! I am planning to go in summer 2018. Wish I could book and secure those rates now!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:27 am

Here now. The grounds are rounding into shape but the rooms are absolutely stunning. Strange that the soundproofing isn't that great though as I can hear my neighbor's TV through the walls.

15k per night is an absolute steal for this place. Get it while you can.

Grabbed a Mailinh taxi from the airport for 300k total.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: SPG,HHonors,Thai,Flying Blue
Is it remote or are there places to eat and drink near the hotel?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:28 am

Not sure if milty908 has found eat and drink near the hotel, but we stayed on property for most of our stay--as we were seeking a few days of sun and beach prior to heading to Hanoi. There was a nice Marriott elite hour of free drinks (wine, some cocktails, beer) and a few tasty food items (sushi, etc) that the chef prepared and delivered as guests lounged on day beds (or tables) at cocktail bar facing the beach. I think it was at 5 p.m. Food prices were typical of resorts (and obviously very high for Vietnam) but with generous buffet, 20% off food/bev, and having picked up some duty-free spirits prior to arrival, we certainly didn't spend much on property (felt a bit guilty about that since it was such a lovely stay). There is a nightly shuttle (I think 6 p.m.) to a night market in town (approx. 20 min. drive) where you can eat and drink as well. Also, while we were there they had paddleboards and kayaks you could take out at no cost. My wife and I were traveling without our 11 yr. old kids but there were quite a few families and we wouldn't hesitate to return w/ them. As Milty908 wrote, we did hear tv of room next door on our last night (until then we didn't have any neighbors). That said, we loved our visit and wish we were still there!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:09 am

The hotel entrance is about 1km from the lobby so not really anything like Thailand where there's small shacks down the beach. We did take the hotel shuttle to the night market for food, but that's a 30 minute ride each way. I suppose there might be some food in An Thoi town but we haven't explored it yet.

The hotel's restaurants don't really have an extensive menu yet aside from the main one, Tempus Fungit. However we didn't really like any of the offerings in the main restaurant, so it might be hard to get some variety if you're staying over for more than a few days.

There's also strangely a slight mold/humidity smell in my room that I wouldn't have expected from such a place. I've asked them to bring some aroma candles to mask it but again, surprising that it's even an issue, especially for a new hotel.

Overall the hotel is one of the most whimsically designed places I've stayed in, and it probably wouldn't find itself out of place at Disney World or Universal Studios. The effort to recreate "Lamarck University" is a great idea but they still need to make sure the hospitality product is up to par.

Still got 3 more nights to go, so will keep reporting back.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:40 pm
soy

Programs: various
Well done to those on the 15k rate. Awards now zeroed out through rest of year.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by soy
Well done to those on the 15k rate. Awards now zeroed out through rest of year.
That could be because they're correcting the category/points. The property is a Cat 5. Sounds like a glitch that allowed folk to redeem for Cat 3. Hopefully the property will honor the Cat 3, but on the website it was always listed as a Cat 5 so they're within their rights not to say Cat 5 & adjust accordingly. FWIW - at $400/night, a Cat 5 redemption is still pretty darn good!

On a dif note, lots of properties worldwide load dif award inventory at dif times & adjust. I'd be stunned if this was zeroed out for a year.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.