Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Panama City Beach Golf & Spa Resort, FL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Due to hurricane damage, the hotel will be closed until August/probably September 2019 (per hhoope01).
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:25 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold

Staying at a friends condo in Panama City Beach and noticed this hotel is scheduled to open on November 1st. Does anyone have any info on this property?

Could this be the old Marriott Bay Point Resort or is it a new build?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I believe it is a new build, but I'm not entirely sure.

Here is the Starwood website for it: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/shera...ropertyID=4392
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:21 pm

Google says it's the former Marriott and was built in 1986.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:34 am
Original Poster

We drove by there yesterday and it is the old Marriott resort. It is interesting as it will again be under the Marriott flag. Hopefully the just completed $30 million renovation will bring this resort back to it's old levels (or better.).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy and Skymile
Sheraton Bay Point Stay

My husband and I just completed our second stay since the complete Sheraton remodel. We love this property for a few reasons:
  1. Allows multiple dogs in room with no fee and even has a dog menu at the Pelican bar
  2. Beautiful, serene views and amenities
  3. Great golf courses for my husband
  4. Private and away from the madness that can be PCB
  5. VERY low points for reward nights right now (Bay view king 7000 points + $25 resort fee per night $0 dog fees)
However, the one thing that hasn't been enjoyable at this property has been the front desk night staff and sometimes the front desk staff at all hours as well as some of the restaurant staff. Maybe it's because I'm from the south but I really don't understand why it can be so difficult to just be nice and don't treat guests in a condescending manner. I was refused a Gold perk which I knew was a Gold perk and on multiple occasions I was told that "only Platinums" get that perk. OK, well, why is it listed as a perk in my app? In other words, the vast number, probably all, employees at this location do not understand the perks of each reward level. Red flag for anyone expecting to get service pertaining to their member level. I really, really needed a late checkout due to an event going on in town and I was flat out told no because I wasn't platinum, not because they needed to flip the room. The hotel was a ghost town as the big tournament in town was winding down and everyone had left. Not cool when I work so hard to stay loyal to the SPG brand. I cannot even celebrate the few Gold perks that I am offered because the SPG hotel staff don't even know the rules. Big disappointment at a property that I was really growing to love and make a regular visit. I just don't understand why it's so hard for staff to be nice and helpful. How hard would it have been to just ask or look up what the Gold perks are if I seemed really confident that it was indeed one of my perks? Terrible service training and education call. Bummer.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:02 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
byrontraveler, unfortunately this property is a resort so late checkout is not guaranteed for anyone, including a Platinum.

While on paper, if a late checkout is available for a fee at a resort property (were you offered a late checkout if you paid for it?), then it should be available for free to anyone eligible for it, properties come up with all kind of renditions of this rule.

That said, if a resort property wants to initiate a rule that only Platinums receive late checkout, then they are at liberty to do so, and the only recourse is that the property will decide that NO ONE, including Platinums, will receive late checkouts in the future...
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Room blocking may also be the reason you cannot get the late checkout that you are not automatically entitled to receiving...
Did you not ask about storing your luggage and using the facilities instead of a late checkout? This is the common and accepted practice for when you want to stay longer...
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:12 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any recent experiences here? Starting to do Spring Break planning for next year and this caught my eye. We were at the Sheraton Sand Key two years ago, and looking to try out a different locale. Looking for easy beach access and ideally decent Plat recognition.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wizzy
Looking for easy beach access and ideally decent Plat recognition.
Do note that this resort is not on the beach. It is on the Bay. If you really want to be at a beach-front resort, this may not be the best choice for you.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:27 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Do note that this resort is not on the beach. It is on the Bay. If you really want to be at a beach-front resort, this may not be the best choice for you.
Thanks for the info. I also spent some time reading Trip Advisor. Seems like the hotel takes dog friendly to the extreme, and it's common that many dogs are roaming off-leash, sitting on furniture, etc. Not the right place for a kid with a fear of dogs!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Wondering if anyone knows how the Sheraton Bay Point fared with Hurricane Michael. It looks like the most powerful part of the eyewall passed directly over the property.

Was here a few times in the past, very beautiful place.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:18 am
Original Poster

I haven't heard, but there are quite a few pictures and videos showing the aftermath in Panama City and PCB. And it looks pretty bad.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Here is a satellite image of the property post-hurricane. Definitely some damage.

Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

I had a reservation here for 2 nights in July. Just received a call from the hotel and it looks like they still have a lot of work to get the hotel back up and running after the hurricane. They aren't going to be opening until later August or more likely September now. So they wanted to cancel my reservation, but it turned out OK for me. Earlier this morning I noticed that the Marriott Legends Edge MVCI property next door had award availability for my dates in July. So I was already thinking about switching my reservation. They had 2 bedroom suites (almost 1300 sqft) for 35K/night (no upgrade charge for the extra bedrooms) versus 25K for a regular hotel room.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I wonder if the hotel is operational but is full of workers, contractors and others paying much more than guests would pay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.