Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Melodsal
Hotel email: [email protected]
Club lounge email: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]

Hat tip to: elephentravels

"For platinum members, there's a weekly management cocktail on wednesdays, drinks (wine, beer, mojito, hard liquor) and some pretty good amuse bouche provided. It seems that only a few of the platinum members will receive the "invite", but if anyone is there on wednesday nights, try your luck at the club lounge to RSVP for the event."
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I'm finishing up a 7 night stay here and a few tidbits prior to wine consumption making being online a poor choice.

1. Whomever says breakfast can be had in the resto (Goji) either has booked a breakfast inclusive rate, is in for a charge on their folio, is taking the piss or receiving service recovery.

2. I'm in a suite in the north building which is annoying on the back and forth but much better than a small room for a longish stay.

3. There is a lounge-like area on the 27th floor of the north tower (you can see the balcony area from the lounge) and this week it was used for breakfast for a meeting or something of the like.

4. The dinosaur theme park fronting on Sukhumvit is almost entirely torn down now which likely means Emporium has the funding and desire to build there.

5. Nightly food has taken a dive. Two nights were soup, one night was nachos. Yes, tortilla chips with cheese and sauces. There still a baked dish and whatever else on the corner bar in the kitchen as well as other food near the fruit, three 'salads' in cups and the cheese, crudite and salad bar. But the hot-prepared to order food has been downgraded IIRC.

6. Lunch food (12-2PM) is convenient at times but quality is poor.

7. One night i came off BTS was entering the gate 8:55PM and got into the park only after the metro-cop asked my destination. He then radioed that a Marriott guest was on the way. A second metro-cop locked the back gate once I passed through.

8. When I've been in the room at 9:30AM there's been a knock on the door inquiring about laundry. It's happened three times indicating there's some hotel policy about this. I've requested to be left alone.

9..... more later when i think of it.

10. Staff continues to be great and the lounge is well staffed and many have been around since opening.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Can someone provide an update on how this property treats LTPP's with a small child.
Breakfast is in the restaurant and there is a menu to pick from for evening snacks in 3 different locations?

Plats tend to get M suites correct?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rebadc; Jul 1, 2018 at 6:03 am
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by rebadc
Can someone provide an update on how this property treats LTPP's with a small child.
I thought the Lifetime Platinum Premier elite level won't begin to exist until 1-Aug-2018?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by rebadc
Breakfast is in the restaurant and there is a menu to pick from for evening snacks in 3 different locations?

Plats tend to get M suites correct?

Thanks in advance.
Breakfast is in the lounge and there are definitely children in the lounge during evening food/cocktails so I'd be surprised if you were allowed to take food/drink elsewhere. Please relate your experience however.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Children in the lounge in the evening against the hotel’s own stated policy is one of the few things that are less than awesome at this property.
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
Does anyone have an email address for the concierge or lounge? I would like to request an address card or map with the hotel's address (in Thai) so I can give it to the taxi driver on arrival to BKK.

Last edited by willryu; Jul 30, 2018 at 8:28 am
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
(Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110
dlflyer2 and willryu like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:31 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Marriott Marquis Bangkok Queen\'s Park = Stands Out in Positive and Negative Ways

Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park Bangkok

Map| 4 Reviews | 75% Recommended

199 Sukhumvit Soi 22 Klong Ton Bangkok, Bangkok TH 10110

Marriott Marquis Bangkok Queen's Park = Stands Out in Positive and Negative Ways (16 Photos)

I stayed in a Marriott-family hotel in Bangkok for the first time with a 5-night stay in Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park.  In general, every hotel has strengths and weaknesses and the MM Bangkok is no exception but I thought both were quite salient at this property.  I paid less than 3k++ THB per night and it was not even a LNF rate, it was a regular rate. I rarely see rates below 3k THB for full service hotels in Bangkok which have a lounge so MM joins the group of Royal Orchid Sheraton, Courtyard, and Millenium Hilton in that respect.  At that price it’s very tough to argue that it’s not good value for the money if you have elite status and lounge access.

First off, the location.  If I visit a city for the first time I would give more importance about location, but in Bangkok it’s not the case so I was not bothered by the location of the MM and in fact if the price of a hotel in Bangkok is lower due to a less than convenient location, then it will be a good fit for me. However I would note for the benefit of readers that the location probably not ideal for some travelers.  The hotel is not that close to a BTS station: it’s about a 10 minute walk to Phrom Phong station.  I don’t mind the walk at all but some will not want to walk this far in the heat.  At least the hotel offers a shuttle to BTS, which I did not use.  Bottom line, many other hotels are in more convenient locations.

Platinum Upgrade

One of the reasons I waited so long before trying a Marriott hotel in Bangkok is that I am perfectly happy with the choices offered by other chains such as Starwood, Hyatt, and Hilton.  I like to mix things up however so it was always on my radar screen to try Marriott, but I thought it would be best if I waited until August 2018 in order to maximize my Marriott status and perks during my stay.  With Ambassador status at Starwood I am always treated well everywhere, so until Starwood was combined with Marriott, my status was only Plat50 at Marriott, so why not wait until my Ambassador status is valid on both sides of the fence?  Well turns out I jumped the gun because I booked a pre-paid rate for mid-August and later on the launch date was announced to be August 18thwhich was a few days after my check-in date.  I don’t know if my stay would have been better with Ambassador status, but I have to say I noticed clear differences in how I was treated compared to Starwood, particularly in terms of room upgrades although it won’t entirely be a fair comparison with Starwood until I try Marriott with AMB status.  I will elaborate a bit more about my personal experience regarding the upgrade than I normally would because it’s still early days in the merger and many folks are curious how suite upgrades will be handled at Marriott relative to Starwood.  When I was in the taxi on the way to the hotel I checked on Marriott.com and I saw there were M-suites available so given the comments in this thread about how generous MM is for Platinum suite upgrades, I was confident I would get a suite.  However once I arrived at the hotel I was told I was upgraded to a Club room so I was surprised, I asked if there were suites available, and I was told the suites were fully booked.  I checked online again and it was true: the last suites must had gone in the few minutes before I arrived at the hotel.  I wonder what they would have done if I had arrived earlier?  I cannot tell for sure, but I suspect many other people had a higher priority for suites than myself, for example regular guests of the hotel, or Plats75+, or Plats50 who were paying a higher rate than I was. So I ended up being the one without an upgrade, which is understandable.  However I would note that at Royal Orchid Sheraton I always get a suite upgrade, and at Le Meridien and Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit the hotels are more proactive about suite upgrades and very apologetic when the hotel is full and offer me to move in the middle of my stay without me asking.  They leave Platinum guests feeling like they really want to please customers and are truly sorry when they cannot give a suite upgrade.  My experience at MM was different: if I did not ask about the suite they were not going to comment on it at check-in, and when I asked they said maybe I could change rooms after 2 days.  Then 2 days later I asked again and they said sorry suites full tonight but will check tomorrow and get back to me.  Unlike at check-in, that time on Marriott.com there were still M suites available but marked “almost sold out”.  I did not argue.  Then the next day, I saw online that once again there were M suites available, but nobody contacted me.  I did not want to bother asking for a third time.  The last morning during breakfast in the lounge, someone from staff came to ask me if I wanted to move to the suite because it was ready for me the day before!?  I said nobody contacted me so I was not aware that we could change rooms, and that there was only one day left to my stay so not that big a deal but that it would be interesting nonetheless to see the room and compare.  So fortunately they partially redeemed themselves at the very end. As a final note on this subject, I would mention that a few days before arrival they sent me a welcome e-mail, to which I responded saying I was looking forward to my stay and that I was a frequent guest at Starwood properties in Bangkok and I wanted to try a new hotel to compare.  If they had wanted to go out of their way to give me excellent treatment, they had the opportunity because I informed them that I was a regular with Starwood in Bangkok, but they did not take that opportunity, which is different than how some other hotels in Bangkok handle customers (I have Grand Hyatt in mind). That’s not to say that they treated me badly, but honestly if I was some random Platinum guest coming to Bangkok for the first and last time, I am not sure my stay would have been any different except for the upgrade the last night.  This is in contrast with my experience with other hotels in Bangkok where I sometimes have friendly conversations with staff or management about what competitors are doing and news about the local hotel market.    

Room

The MM hotel was fully renovated and reopened in 2016 so the regular rooms are very modern, although on the small side.  The design reminded me of the renovated rooms at Millenium Hilton with the decorative panels on the walls – I wonder if it was the same designer who worked on both hotels.  Unfortunately the walls seem to be quite thin and soundproofing is lacking. We could hear very well the frequent banging of closing doors in the hallway and we could even feel some light shaking in the room when doors closed.  We could also hear people in the room next to us even when they were talking with a normal voice rather than shouting.  If someone is sensitive to noise, you may not enjoy your stay depending if the room next to you is occupied or not.  The bathroom is very nicely done and in my opinion is the best part of the room. The shower is of a good size and has excellent water pressure.  The quality of materials in the bathroom is very good, unlike some parts of the rest of the room, for example the closets are cheap fake wood, similar to what I saw in the new rooms at Millenium Hilton.  

3_20180815_041039.jpg3_20180815_041057.jpg2_20180815_041139.jpg

After moving to the suite, my conclusion was that if I had that room for the entire stay I would feel differently about the hotel.  The bathroom in the regular room is already quite good, but in the suite it’s noticeably better and one of the best bathroom suites I have seen in town.  The bedroom / living room partition is via a sliding door.  Our suite was in a corner of the building so we did not share a wall with a neighbor in the bedroom.  We only shared a wall in the living room but any noise there would be mitigated if you close the door between the bedroom and living room so we were not disturbed at all during the last night.  

20180818_212719.jpg20180818_212736.jpg20180818_212811.jpg20180818_212843.jpg20180818_212856.jpg

Dining

As mentioned in my opening comments, the hotel’s strengths and weaknesses are more striking than in most hotels so now moving on to the biggest positive of this hotel – the Club Lounge.  It is one of the largest lounges I have seen in Bangkok with good spacing between tables so it does not feel cramped.  There are also several tables available outside on the terrace which will please many guests from Northern climates.  Food quality is far above average and I would rank this lounge second behind Athenee based on those I have seen in the city, ahead of ROS, Westin, Millenium Hilton, Conrad, Hilton Sukhumvit, and Grand Hyatt.  Given the price I paid, I can safely say that MM punches above its weight for the lounge.  Upon arrival I saw in the Platinum welcome letter that they serve “light lunch” between noon and 2pm so I thought it must be some sandwiches and veggies. I was pleasantly surprised: the chef station is open even for lunch and you get a quality choice of three dishes which changed every day.  During my stay I remember seeing salmon, sea bass, beef curry, pad krapao moo, dal makhani with rice, fried noodles with seafood, western dishes such as veal sausage, etc.  It was restaurant food quality rather than buffet style, and even the presentation was good with the chef caring to make the dish look nice with decorative features. On top of the hot dishes there were cold salads available which also changed every day, for example chick pea salad, pasta salad, grilled vegetable salad, etc.  There were tortilla wraps, sandwiches, vegetables, as many fruits as during breakfast, a soup, and a few desserts.  Many guests might not care about lunch in the lounge because they are either out exploring the city or working.  In our situation we do value the lunch because on occasion we might be jet lagged and miss breakfast so lunch is convenient, or we might just be resting in the afternoon inside the hotel if we are tired after having a busy morning out.  To be honest, lunch at MM stands out in a major way because I have not seen such a complete offering anywhere else mid day.  MM puts many hotel lounges to shame: the lunch is even better than several competitors’s lounge during happy hour, let alone the fact that in some hotel lounges you get nothing at all during the afternoon.  In the evening happy hour is nice as well, and in the same vein breakfast is as good as I have seen a lounge breakfast except for the Athenee hotel.  The only problem about breakfast is that MM stands out at other end of the spectrum versus the competition by not offering breakfast in the restaurant to Platinum guests.  An excellent lounge breakfast does not beat the choice and spread of a restaurant breakfast that you get at most competitors with Starwood, Hyatt and Hilton.  I don’t recall any of these chain hotels not offering free breakfast in the restaurant for guests with status except for the ROS for a brief period before it was reinstated.  Back to happy hour, I found the drinks at MM to be decent.  There was Prosecco, a limited choice of cocktails was offered, along with two choices of red wine and two choices of white wine.  If you have a sweet tooth I would note that even though most of the food is available 5:30pm-7:30pm, you can still have desserts until 9:30pm which is better than other hotels where they often remove everything once happy hour is over.  Also drinks finish at 8:30pm so you have three hours which is more generous than many other hotels who are limited to 2 hours.  Despite the lounge being large, it turns out it really needs to be that large because it was very full every night we were there, to the point where several couples who did not know each other had to sit at the same table (table for 4) due to lack of space.  So great food, but not an exclusive and private feeling, in fact a lesser experience than in other hotels.

1_20180815_195645.jpg1_20180815_195719.jpg1_20180816_010755.jpg1_20180816_010812.jpg1_20180816_063112.jpg1_20180816_063131.jpg

Service

Regarding service, I thought it was inferior to my experience at other Bangkok hotels.  The suite upgrade situation is one example, but there were a few other minor slip-ups. Generally speaking the MM hotel is more impersonal but to be honest, it’s more difficult to give great service in a hotel of this size than in a smaller hotel with fewer guests.  

Gym

The gym is large and feels airy with lots of space between equipment.  The machines were all fairly new and in good condition.  

20180819_032257.jpg20180819_041122.jpg

Overall

In conclusion, I appreciate having the MM available going forward on top of the Starwood options. It is interesting to see such a hotel with very strong points (modern room, great lounge offerings, very competitive price) but also with glaring weaknesses (soundproofing, location, lack of Platinum breakfast in the restaurant).  The easiest comparison to Starwood hotels would be those with a lounge: MM is in a nice spot offering a more modern hotel than ROS, but a cheaper alternative to the Athenee hotel.  If I compare MM to Westin, the MM is cheaper, more modern, although in a lesser location.  Having choices at our disposal based on our personal preference is a good thing.  

Marriott Marquis Bangkok Queen's Park = Stands Out in Positive and Negative Ways

Would you like to write a review on the Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Thanks for the awesome review! Looking forward to my stay there later this month.

Any idea if they offer a shuttle pick up from the airport?

Originally Posted by escape4
Introduction I stayed in a Marriott-family hotel in Bangkok for the first time with a 5-night stay in Marriott Marquis Queen €™s Park. In general, every hotel has strengths and weaknesses and the MM Bangkok is no exception but I thought both were quite salient at this property...
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jayzala
Any idea if they offer a shuttle pick up from the airport?
I'm not aware of any Bangkok hotel that offers a free airport shuttle (apart from the airport hotels).

Pretty much any of the name properties will offer a paid service. IIRC, this property specifically references it on their website. The best deal is AOT, which you can book at the airport. If you book car service through a hotel, it will cost more, but it may enhance your arrival experience as well as your upgrade odds.
The only problem about breakfast is that MM stands out at other end of the spectrum versus the competition by not offering breakfast in the restaurant to Platinum guests. An excellent lounge breakfast does not beat the choice and spread of a restaurant breakfast that you get at most competitors with Starwood, Hyatt and Hilton
Welcome to Marriott. It's very unusual for Marriott with a lounge to give free restaurant breakfast.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 20, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:31 am

Just checked into the Marquis. There was a long line at the check in desks but was escorted to M Club Lounge fior check in. To my surprise, they were serving a light lunch in the Club. While they were checking us in, we got to enjoy a nice lunch. I have to say, the sitting area is massive, including a real outdoor patio unlike the small outdoor rail area at Courtyard Bangkok.

Breakfast is served in the lounge for Platinums or you can choose breakfast in the restaurant for your welcome gift. Since we are having Brunch at Goji’s tomorrow, we choose points. Sorry so brief but off to explore the hotel.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by northsideguy

Just checked into the Marquis. There was a long line at the check in desks but was escorted to M Club Lounge fior check in. To my surprise, they were serving a light lunch in the Club. While they were checking us in, we got to enjoy a nice lunch. I have to say, the sitting area is massive, including a real outdoor patio unlike the small outdoor rail area at Courtyard Bangkok.

Breakfast is served in the lounge for Platinums or you can choose breakfast in the restaurant for your welcome gift. Since we are having Brunch at Goji’s tomorrow, we choose points. Sorry so brief but off to explore the hotel.
I don't remember that as Platinum I had the choice to choose breakfast in lieu of 1000 points as welcome gift when I stayed 3 nights just before US Labor Day weekend, are you sure this is the case? Since MM has lounge so breakfast in the restaurant shouldn't option, right?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:24 am

Did your rate include free breakfast? Similar to @tomwhom, I was not offered breakfast in the restaurant. Lounge only.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:52 am

Did your rate include free breakfast? Similar to @tomwhom, I was not offered breakfast in the restaurant. Lounge only.

No my rate did not include a free breakfast. Was staying on an expiring reward certificate.

Last edited by northsideguy; Sep 23, 2018 at 10:03 am
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:08 am

No my rate did not include a free breakfast. Was staying on an expiring reward certificate.
Thanks, I am curious to see if this is a recent change or not. Perhaps someone staying at MM in the next few weeks will be able to confirm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.