Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations email:
[email protected]
Duty manager: [email protected]

April 2017 Photos - see posts 45-51

From website: In Executive Lounge no children below 12 years allowed after 7pm and smart casual attire is required-no shorts/slippers

As of 2023, shorts seem to have been removed from the lounge dress code exclusion. ElevatorEnthusiast definitely wore them.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I had a few nights here late April - a really nice property, good location, good Gold recogniton. Can recommend.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was here on an overnight returning from Samui. Booked a Deluxe Suite, upgraded at check-in to what the agent described as a "Premier Suite." This is a two-room corner suite in the North tower (very similar to the photos in Part 5 in 24Left's review). The suite was really nice. Except: (1) light switch placement is not intuitive . . . I was constantly hunting for light switches; and (2) the TVs turn on automatically every time you enter the room. You have to affirmatively turn them off. Then they turn themselves back on. And in a suite, there are two of them, and they BOTH do this. Probably should have just unplugged them.

Staff were super friendly and helpful. They're really proud of the property . . . I was given impromptu tours of both the spa and the fitness center.

Lounge is a standout. Food quality very high. They have two chefs working happy hour and breakfast and fare is definitely beyond your typical lounge standard. I'd like to see a little more "lounge" seating (as opposed to 2 and 4 tops) but overall this has to be one of the best Marriott lounges in the world.

One major negative . . . WiFi in my room kept disconnecting to the point where it was not usable. (Marriott_Public in the lounge worked fine.) I called at night and they were unable to do anything (IT person had apparently left for the day). Mentioned the problem at check-out, and just got an apology (nor did the guy at the front desk seem surprised; my impression was he's heard this before).
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the update.

Are they still using the Jo Malone bath amenities? Last time I was there they used a French one.

Last edited by bdschobel; Jun 8, 2017 at 3:08 pm Reason: removed unnecessary quote of immediately preceding post
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kikid
Thanks for the update.

Are they still using the Jo Malone bath amenities? Last time I was there they used a French one.
Aromatherapy.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The Wi-Fi in the room is definitely poor. My phone couldn't hold a Wi-Fi signal long enough Wi-Fi calling. My laptop was a little more stable. I had two different rooms in a couple different trips and both had the same problem. It seems odd in a new hotel in a city with great Tech infrastructure.

while I was there they ran out of Jo Malone products.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

There is an incredible view from the pool on the 18th floor! The location is also great.

In terms of nits .... (1) the pool can be a bit cool because it has no sunshine. While it's certainly cool (and cool) with an infinity pool the absence of any sun or seating certainly means there is no pool scene for another wise great location, (2) the bar at the pool is strange ... they have a table and chairs in the water but you're not allowed to sit there with a drink. And, they have no cocktails......
Yes, as per my photos upthread (part 7)

Although the views were stunning from all areas, I found it strange to have a pool with no sunlight, especially when the roof-top infinity pools at the Marina Bay Sands and the Westin do. Now those were awesome experiences.

Still, as all pf my photos clearly show, this Marriott is stunning.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:30 am

The Wi-Fi in the room is definitely poor. My phone couldn't hold a Wi-Fi signal long enough Wi-Fi calling. My laptop was a little more stable. I had two different rooms in a couple different trips and both had the same problem. It seems odd in a new hotel in a city with great Tech infrastructure.
It's borderline shocking. When I was able to connect, speed was capped at 20 mbs down/up. By comparison, my bungalow on the beach at Samui measured at 36 mbs down, 47 up.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
"new" hotel ?
Isn't this a rebranded old hotel ??

The Wi-Fi in the room is definitely poor.....
It seems odd in a new hotel .....
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Srisarin
"new" hotel ?
Isn't this a rebranded old hotel ??
Not exactly. I believe the hotel was new and that owners operated it as an independent hotel for only a few months before deciding to brand it as a JW.

The internet was really poor. Initially, I thought it was just my room but then on another visit, I had the same problems.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
The owners operated the old South Beach mixed use property for 9-months before inking the management deal with Marriott.

Based upon information of others who've ventured here with negative comments over and above poor internet, I'm still happy at the nearby Conrad which serves me well enough.

Not exactly. I believe the hotel was new and that owners operated it as an independent hotel for only a few months before deciding to brand it as a JW.

The internet was really poor. Initially, I thought it was just my room but then on another visit, I had the same problems.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I had no issues with internet when I stayed in March. Maybe for huge up/down loads things are not great, but for std. business purposes ... it worked fine for me.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
I had no issues with internet when I stayed in March. Maybe for huge up/down loads things are not great, but for std. business purposes ... it worked fine for me.
It simply would not maintain a connection in my room for more than about two minutes.

Same problem on three separate devices.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
It simply would not maintain a connection in my room for more than about two minutes.

Same problem on three separate devices.
yikes! That's awful. Definitely not seen this back in March. Same problem in the lounge? Or just in the rooms?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
yikes! That's awful. Definitely not seen this back in March. Same problem in the lounge? Or just in the rooms?
It was fine in the lounge.

I suspect there was a problem with the router serving my room.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It was fine in the lounge.

I suspect there was a problem with the router serving my room.
I had two different rooms with the same problem so I don't think its a router issue. My main issue was the inability to hold a connection with my phone so that I could make wifi calls over the phone and avoid international charges. The lounge was too busy to make calls from there so I don't know about the stability there. There was no option to select premium wifi as a plat premier.

On my laptop, I could still send/recieve emails but looking for websurfing as a tourist (not downloading/video streaming) was slow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.