Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam [Master Thread]

Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam [Master Thread]

Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Canada101
I shook both their hands and wanted to offer a tip but both were a little horrified as I reached for my wallet and took 2-3 steps back while bowing. As the bus driver was quite impatient given the delay in the schedule, I didn't insist and simply boarded.

As the bus pulled away, both associates bowed and waved goodbye.
tsk tsk...another one that thinks money is god. Can't understand why in such days and times there are still so many people trying to force feed their culture upon others.

Don't guests realize that service charges has been included in the bill (which at times in Korea strangely varies from 10% to 20+%) especially at the semi-luxurious-luxurious hotels.
Furthermore at these hotels, it is quite common that (and even expected) that they help you with your bags. The only bags I don't give them is the one containing my documents for check-in, other than that, I have learned that it's easier to just let them help you bring the bags to your room.

Back to this property, I was curious of this upon seeing it from the JW and had planned to check it out on my next trip, but seeing the reviews about the room size and upgrade probability, I will most probably just stick to the JW (albeit dated rooms) since the standard rooms are still reasonable in size.

Cheers!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, thankfully Korea is a tipping free country. Western hotels will have a service charge built in and they earn living wages.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:28 am

Standard rooms are very small here (including the so-called "club rooms"). Compounded with an extremely slim chance of an upgrade, I would avoid this property altogether if room size is of importance to you.

Unless of course your SNA clears.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
i did give it a second chance for a nighter, still something missing, its not really bad, save the rooms which are simply too small, but what can you do ? Its just that its does not feel spg like D cube.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, it's nothing like the name "Palace" implies.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:51 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
How is this property located with regards to COEX? Any shuttle?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:23 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Canada101
I shook both their hands and wanted to offer a tip but both were a little horrified as I reached for my wallet and took 2-3 steps back while bowing. As the bus driver was quite impatient given the delay in the schedule, I didn't insist and simply boarded.
Originally Posted by nldogbert
tsk tsk...another one that thinks money is god. Can't understand why in such days and times there are still so many people trying to force feed their culture upon others.
I think you are being overly harsh with @Canada101 here so I will jump to his defense. If someone travels just once a year and has time to plan the single trip for several months in advance and read about local culture, that is one thing. However if travelling to dozens of different countries non-stop all year, in my humble opinion I think it's not an enormous offense to not be 100% familiar and eventually lose track of with distinctions about what is preferrable, recommended, suggested, optional, or frowned upon, in each country for each different custom of each country (tipping is only one aspect to keep track of). I am guilty of this on occasion.

The way it was described by Canada101, it does not seem at all like he was trying to "force feed" his culture... quite the contrary he specifically said he did not insist.

I think many people in "other cultures" also appreciate that in Canada101's culture, he was trying to be nice and polite rather than insult them.

Back to this specific hotel, lots of good information here and I have made up my mind that I will avoid this property for sure. There are too many better options, including outside SPG, that will treat elite guests better and I cannot think much of a reason to try Sheraton Palace myself.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
underground train
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Take the subway
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:24 pm

Really debating between this and the Aloft.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really debating between this and the Aloft.
Aloft Gangnam or Myeongdong?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Aloft Gangnam or Myeongdong?
Sorry, between Sheraton Palace Gangnam and Aloft Gangnam. Focus is work in COEX.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, between Sheraton Palace Gangnam and Aloft Gangnam. Focus is work in COEX.
The Aloft is a bit closer being in Chungdam. It's a cheap, no-frills property. If you want something close and maybe better then there's the Le Meridien to think about.

Traffic can be very bad from where the Palace is to COEX.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
If working at the Coex, then why not stay at one of the Interconti's? I never stayed at the Interconti Coex, but the Interconti Grand has always been one of my favourites in Seoul. Both are located right at the Coex.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:47 am

Because my status is with... well Marriott by then...

Traffic is avoidable by taking the train, no?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.