Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR [email protected]

(Send any correspondance to both addresses.)
Print Wikipost

The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 7:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by wolf72
St.Regis is over at KL Sentral first of all. Not near Bukit Bintang which is the heart of downtown KL...unlike the Shangri-La, JW Marriot or even Grand Hyatt which is next to KLCC and a short 10 minute taxi ride or a 15 minute walk across via the walkway bridge they have built for people.

And those hotels are at least 10%-15% cheaper than what St.Regis is asking for on a per night basis.
There is also the Westin KL (right next to the Ritz) just across the road from Pavilion on the other side of Bukit Bintang, if you're looking for an SPG option.

KL Sentral (and hence the StR's) main benefit location-wise is it's easy to get to from the airport via KLIA Ekspress? But yes, once you're there it's not clear there's any additional advantage.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by horizontal
There is also the Westin KL (right next to the Ritz) just across the road from Pavilion on the other side of Bukit Bintang, if you're looking for an SPG option.

KL Sentral (and hence the StR's) main benefit location-wise is it's easy to get to from the airport via KLIA Ekspress? But yes, once you're there it's not clear there's any additional advantage.
You would not walk from KL Sentral to the St.Regis. You are dependent either on a cab (unlikely they want to do this short trip), grab a car or the hotel limo van to get to the hotel/to kl sentral.

This is as beneficial to corporate traveller as the Ascott's KL Sentral accomodations where you need to walk 400 meters to get to NU Shopping center and make your way up the escalators just to get to KL Sentral though they do offer a free shuttle service.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by wolf72
You would not walk from KL Sentral to the St.Regis. You are dependent either on a cab (unlikely they want to do this short trip), grab a car or the hotel limo van to get to the hotel/to kl sentral.
Not with that attitude you won't!

You're right that it's 1) a little too far to walk especially 2) with no safe/easy walking route and 3) in KL weather. And fair enough that it's an awkward distance where it's a little short for a cab trip.

My point (despite the awkward phrasing) was actually that the StR isn't that well located - I had only mentioned the proximity to KL Sentral as a mitigating factor.
Old May 20, 2017, 2:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by horizontal
Not with that attitude you won't!

You're right that it's 1) a little too far to walk especially 2) with no safe/easy walking route and 3) in KL weather. And fair enough that it's an awkward distance where it's a little short for a cab trip.

My point (despite the awkward phrasing) was actually that the StR isn't that well located - I had only mentioned the proximity to KL Sentral as a mitigating factor.
Roger that.

I don't think they planned the hotel location well...just my humble opinion. It's neither "here" nor "there" when it comes to its location at KL Sentral.

Let's see how it does financially over the next 12 months but...at the room rates they are charging, I will be very interested to see their occupancy rates per night on average for 2017.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:38 am

I'm at this property right now. I was upgraded to a St Regis suite from a base room and the hard product here is truly amazing. Butlers service has been very professional and attentive too.

As some others here have experienced, there were hiccups during check-in. Arrived at around 15:30 and my room was not ready; after about 20 minutes they put me in a smoking suite and said I could move to a non-smoking one later in the evening when it becomes available. I will probably just stick to this one as it smells fine and I am too lazy to move.

They allow 4 garments for washing/pressing per person per day (so I could get 8 pieces laundered per day as I'm staying with my partner) -- not sure if this is a Plat benefit or a room benefit. It's disappointing they don't give a free drink voucher or have a happy hour or anything. I've stayed at the LM the past few days and still have a few free drink vouchers, so I think I'll pop over there this evening for drinks instead.

They're also having a "summer pool party" in the pool area this evening that goes till 04:00 -- kind of unlike a St Regis to have pool parties, and also unusual considering it is not summer. I can hear the DJ's music from the suite, so hopefully it does not disturb my sleep!

Note that while the LM looks to be about 200 metres from the STR as the bird flies, it's basically impossible to walk between the two (particularly with baggage).
Old May 20, 2017, 7:41 am

IMO saying that it's not possible to walk to the St Regis from LeMeridien/Aloft/Sentral is an exaggeration. I wouldn't even rank it as difficult. I've done it 4-5 times, with and without luggage (cabin sized).

Without luggage, it is mildly inconvenient.

With luggage (cabin-sized), there are short stretches where you will not be able to pull your bag, or will find it bumpy.

With a full-sized luggage the makeshift sidewalk would not accomodate two abreast so I would wait for the hotel shuttle.

From Sentral you cross ~ 4 lanes at a light-controlled crossing. You then go along a slightly bumpy path that's a makeshift sidewalk for about 50m. You then reach the road which St Regis is on - that has proper sidewalks, downhill gradient about 30 deg. Distance is about 300-400m.

I had more trouble navigating sidewalks in Times Square, partly because of the crowds and partly because of the constant construction and irregular surfaces.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
IMO saying that it's not possible to walk to the St Regis from LeMeridien/Aloft/Sentral is an exaggeration. I wouldn't even rank it as difficult. I've done it 4-5 times, with and without luggage (cabin sized).

Without luggage, it is mildly inconvenient.

With luggage (cabin-sized), there are short stretches where you will not be able to pull your bag, or will find it bumpy.

With a full-sized luggage the makeshift sidewalk would not accomodate two abreast so I would wait for the hotel shuttle.

From Sentral you cross ~ 4 lanes at a light-controlled crossing. You then go along a slightly bumpy path that's a makeshift sidewalk for about 50m. You then reach the road which St Regis is on - that has proper sidewalks, downhill gradient about 30 deg. Distance is about 300-400m.

I had more trouble navigating sidewalks in Times Square, partly because of the crowds and partly because of the constant construction and irregular surfaces.

I tried it once and won't be doing it again. It's not worth the risk given the taxi's and car's coming around the tight corners. It's dangerous and you could be putting lives at risk trying to walk that section.

And I cannot see or imagine anyone dragging their travel bags on that road to the hotel on that road under the hot sun.

There is a reason why they provide the shuttle service to/from KL Sentral.

Last edited by wolf72; May 20, 2017 at 5:03 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 1:44 am

This is the road between the STR and the LM / KL Sentral, taken just now:

I would say it is faster to walk than take a vehicle, and it is not very far, but the footpath is not particularly safe or wide. I wouldn't want the hassle if I had baggage.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zzap
This is the road between the STR and the LM / KL Sentral, taken just now:

I would say it is faster to walk than take a vehicle, and it is not very far, but the footpath is not particularly safe or wide. I wouldn't want the hassle if I had baggage.
Given KL's notorious reputation of bikers robbing tourist, you would have to be pretty crazy to walk to the hotel or to try to drag your luggage on that narrow "footpath" if you can even call it that.

Thanks. But no thanks. I didn't book to stay in a 5 star hotel to walk to the hotel and to risk slipping and falling in front of a car or lorry.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:45 am

It's improved a lot since I was last there then - when the StR had just opened there was still quite a lot of construction work in the area and I didn't see a clear path. Then again, I wasn't on foot so it wasn't the most thorough survey...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:48 pm

Thinking back on my stay, I was massively underwhelmed at the STR KL. On the surface, the hard product looks incredible, but when you take a little closer look, there are a number of significant defects in the rooms, there are dints and scratches all over the elevators (those which work -- during the stay 50% of the elevators were "reserved" for a special event), and the cleanliness of the property is questionable.

Crumbs from the previous guests cookie munching were found on the sofa that the staff had seemingly not bothered to clean between stays.

I was hosting some local guests in my room in the evening, and they were horrified to discover a huge cockroach crawling down the window behind me -- not a good look.

The "buffet" breakfast is a complete joke. I called ahead the night before what time the breakfast closes and got a solid "11am" response from the butler. Went down at 10:20 to be told immediately that the breakfast was ending in 10 minutes. They were literally packing up around me and by 10:50 there was nothing left at the buffet to consume. They don't have condensed milk or serve teh tarik -- at a breakfast in Malaysia! They had no eggs left by 10:30 and declined to make any more without a further charge, AND no items from the menu are included in the Plat breakfast.

As mentioned previously in the thread, the location isn't considered particularly impressive by many & there's no evening drinks and no drink vouchers given out for Plats.

I have stayed at about a dozen STRs and I would have to say that my overall experience here has been the worst of all of them. As a big fan of the St Regis brand, it was nice to try out this property as a first time guest, but the value and amenities provided are definitely not worth it at the margin relative to their asking rates compared to the rates of the other properties in KL. I would struggle to find a reason to return to this property any time soon.

Here's a bonus video of the cockroach.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:36 am

Here's a bonus video of the cockroach.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Any more recent reviews? Has it improved? I have a rather decent BRG rate for January, but after reading all this I tend to cancel it now and opt for something else.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Any more recent reviews? Has it improved? I have a rather decent BRG rate for January, but after reading all this I tend to cancel it now and opt for something else.
Stay at Le Meridien. Especially if a Platinum. Excellent refurbished suites and one of the best lounge experiences anywhere. It's a shame about this StR. It briefly had an excellent GM Anne Scott from the Andeman but she left quickly and this is the result. Blame the owners.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For the big price difference that they are charging and the poorer location. It's a no brainer to pick the LM especially as a plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.