Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Does Marriott have a policy regarding walking guests?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott Rewards® Elite Benefits Guarantee

Ultimate Reservation Guarantee:

If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your Marriott Rewards membership number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand.

Brand
Guest compensation***

JW Marriott®, Autograph Collections®, EDITION®, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotel and Resorts, Gaylord Hotels, Delta Hotels®
- $200 USD
- 90,000 points

AC Hotels, Courtyard, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn & Suites, TownePlace Suites, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels
- $100 USD
(Platinum members also receive 90,000 bonus points)

The Ritz-Carlton
Platinum Members received
- $200 USD
- 140,000 points

***Outside of the U.S. compensation will be paid in the local currency
Print Wikipost

Does Marriott have a policy regarding walking guests?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Why not use the cash to book a cheap room somewhere?
The hotel forcing me to walk is offering to cover the night at the Marriott property they want to walk me to. The new hotel is 45 minutes away from where I need to be. There are no closer Marriott properties that have rooms.

Q1: If I accept the Marriott property they want to walk me to, will I receive say credit for the night? I'm worried that since the charges will be picked up by the property that is walking me, that I won't get stay credit through some weird direct booking relationship b/w the two hotels.

Q2: There is a Hilton property that is closer to where I need to be. If, I stay there, can I still get the stay credit for the walked stay at Marriott?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Ross0
The hotel forcing me to walk is offering to cover the night at the Marriott property they want to walk me to. The new hotel is 45 minutes away from where I need to be. There are no closer Marriott properties that have rooms.

Q1: If I accept the Marriott property they want to walk me to, will I receive say credit for the night? I'm worried that since the charges will be picked up by the property that is walking me, that I won't get stay credit through some weird direct booking relationship b/w the two hotels.

Q2: There is a Hilton property that is closer to where I need to be. If, I stay there, can I still get the stay credit for the walked stay at Marriott?
In regards to Q1, I I would think you have to receive the credit. As for Q2, I couldn't say. If you get really lucky, though, you might be able to double dip

When is your platinum challenge deadline? If you still have time, you could in theory use the cash on some later date.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy
In regards to Q1, I I would think you have to receive the credit. As for Q2, I couldn't say. If you get really lucky, though, you might be able to double dip

When is your platinum challenge deadline? If you still have time, you could in theory use the cash on some later date.
Deadline is this weekend, so I can't fit in another stay at this point.

So, my priority is getting the stay credit. If I need to drive that extra 45 minutes, I guess I will. Not ideal, but not much choice. Although, it's not clear to me I'll absolutely receive stay credit if I am walked to the other Marriott property.

And, of course, Marriott's Twitter Team takes 4-5 days (at least) to respond to DMs and no one answers Marriott's 801 customer service number, so I can't get any assistance from anyone at Marriott. (I really hope Marriott keeps SPG's Twitter Team as Marriott's is TERRIBLE).
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
FYI: It took nearly 1 month, three or four emails to the hotel, and a follow-up call to corporate Marriott, but I received my compensation yesterday. My Uber was included in the compensation.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

Marriott will force them to reimburse you Uber or taxi, at least to/from the new hotel.

I think Marriott will also agree they have to put you at a comparable hotel. So, if your reservation was at a Marriott it isn't acceptable to walk you to a Courtyard or Fairfield Inn.

I wouldn't hesitate to contact Marriott corporate by telephone. They intervened with me when a property was ignorant of the rules or intentionally not following them.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:14 am
Suspended

Deadline is this weekend, so I can't fit in another stay at this point.

So, my priority is getting the stay credit. If I need to drive that extra 45 minutes, I guess I will. Not ideal, but not much choice. Although, it's not clear to me I'll absolutely receive stay credit if I am walked to the other Marriott property.

And, of course, Marriott's Twitter Team takes 4-5 days (at least) to respond to DMs and no one answers Marriott's 801 customer service number, so I can't get any assistance from anyone at Marriott. (I really hope Marriott keeps SPG's Twitter Team as Marriott's is TERRIBLE).
Try pressing "zero" when Marriott prompt answers.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:23 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
When walked, even if walked to a non-Marriott hotel, you should still get night credit and points as if you stayed at the hotel, though you may have to ask for and push to get that.
CLEguy likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
When I was walked from one Marriott property to another Marriott property, I did receive stay credit even though the actual bill was picked up by the first property. I was concerned because I was trying to stay X amount of nights to get Y amount of points or some such game for a promotion and thought I might not receive the stay credit, but I did.

In addition, if you do not, I would be surprised if Marriott customer service would not help you get the stay to post given the situation (after you wait your 1-3 hours on hold for an agent, that is).
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sinfonia
When I was walked from one Marriott property to another Marriott property, I did receive stay credit even though the actual bill was picked up by the first property. I was concerned because I was trying to stay X amount of nights to get Y amount of points or some such game for a promotion and thought I might not receive the stay credit, but I did.

In addition, if you do not, I would be surprised if Marriott customer service would not help you get the stay to post given the situation (after you wait your 1-3 hours on hold for an agent, that is).
That's what happened to me, when the hotel walked me and didn't re-book me at a comparable hotel. I paid for the new hotel and invoiced the property. Either they ended up paying that hotel directly or it was refunded, but either way it was refunded from my credit card but I kept the points and 1-night stay credit.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I'm getting walked tonight. It's an inconvenience, but more importantly, I need one more qualifying night to hit PLT as part of an Elite challenge. Is there anyway to get the property that is walking me to post the stay for stay credit purposes?
Being an SPG Plat, you are also an MR Plat and walking plats is really frowned upon.

But to answer your question, yes, you should get credit as though you stayed where you were booked, even if you get walked to a non-MR property. The rule is moved to a comparable property and doesn't need to be a MR property. And, if you met the guarantee specifications, cash should be paid out above and beyond just paying for your night. Escalate with MR if you feel you are not getting the proper treatment.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:00 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Being an SPG Plat, you are also an MR Plat and walking plats is really frowned upon.
This is true only if the accounts are linked. Since the poster mentions that he/she is trying to hit an Elite Challenge, it does not sound like the accounts are linked, so unfortunately SPG Status means nothing at a Marriott hotel in terms of Elite walk compensation.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat | United Silver | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | Marriott Titanium | IHG Ambassador
Walked with 2 rooms

I was walked tonight and had 2 rooms booked at Towneplace Tempe. I’m a Platinum so entitled to $100 plus 90k pts.

They handed over the $100 as soon as I asked and refused $100 for the second room. I can’t find clear language. Can anyone assist?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To where were you walked and did TPS Tempe pay for both rooms at the new hotel?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:49 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WittingGadabout
They handed over the $100 as soon as I asked and refused $100 for the second room. I can’t find clear language. Can anyone assist?
Two things I can think of. First, the T&Cs state you can only earn one "Guarantee" per stay. Second, you only receive elite benefits for one room - the room you as the elite stay in. So that means you should only receive the extra elite benefits of the walk for one of the rooms.

But you should still receive the normal walk benefits for all the rooms. IOW, the hotel should still help find you 2 rooms at another, comparable hotel and pay for the first night for both rooms.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat | United Silver | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | Marriott Titanium | IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To where were you walked and did TPS Tempe pay for both rooms at the new hotel?
They walked me to a nice non-Marriott resort. Wasted on a 12hr business stay, but perfectly fine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.