Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Is the hotel still popular and fully booked all the time? Planning a stay next spring for for a couple of nights. Miss that rain shower from my last stay during Sakura and spring. It was so good... Lounge breakfast was great as well.

Double checked on the app. Not booked. Guess only during peak seasons .
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by APeverell
Any upgrade provided for Plat/Premier?
I just returned from a stay. No suite upgrade as the hotel was fully booked. But I did receive a corner deluxe which was more than adequate.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by CLEguy

I just returned from a stay. No suite upgrade as the hotel was fully booked. But I did receive a corner deluxe which was more than adequate.
Pretty typical experience and getting a full suite is very difficult, particularly over a weekend - frankly, the Grande Deluxe Corner and Grande Deluxe Premier rooms here would be called a junior suite anyway at a lot of other hotels.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Pretty typical experience and getting a full suite is very difficult, particularly over a weekend - frankly, the Grande Deluxe Corner and Grande Deluxe Premier rooms here would be called a junior suite anyway at a lot of other hotels.
Yeah, and I'm not complaining about that room at all--it's a great room! We loved our stay here.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Just booked for the last night of our 10-day trip through Japan next month. Excited to check it out!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:32 pm

Finished a 3 night stay here last weekend just reporting back with a few thoughts. It's a good value option for the rate we paid (~$300 all in corporate rate) but it definitely does not compete with other top tier Tokyo hotels (both hard and soft). Within the Marriott family, the RC is a much better option.

Room:
A little small and only had a single vanity in the bathroom. Some finishes felt cheap to me (e.g. the lacquered closets, floor tiles in the bathroom / entrance area...etc) but I acknowledge that this is down to personal preferences. Bed was very comfortable and large - we had a king room but looks like they pushed two doubles together. Technology worked fine - but we couldn't figure out how to turn off the AC panel which was quite bright at night.

Housekeeping:
Probably the weakest part of the stay - the room wasn't dirty or anything but they were not thorough and lacked basic common sense. A few examples: 1) did not bother removing items left on the bed when performing turn down service; they simply turned the room with our clothes left as is. Any other top hotel in Tokyo would've folded the clothes and placed them somewhere appropriate. Also did not leave water bottles by the bed, 2) left dirty coffee cups for more than a day, 3) just lots of general tidiness issue and small touches missing (i.e. reorganizing bathroom amenities).

Service:
Generally fine, but service felt stiff and by the book vs. other Tokyo competitors. I'm not asking them to bend the rules, but they lacked efficiency as everyone had to follow some sort of SOP. For example, we went to the club lounge for a quick drink before dinner one night and even though at least three tables were open, the lounge receptionist had to go to her book and check line by line which table is open before requesting permission from her supervisor to seat us at one...

Others:
- Underwhelming breakfast selection
- Lounge evening selection was weak, though props to them for selecting a slightly less common house champagne (Barons de Rothschild NV - very good)
zzap likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:16 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Recently had a good return stay of three nights. Graciously upgraded to a Koi Suite but in a somewhat ungrateful and tacky move I requested a downgrade to a corner room which I feel has a more practical layout for a solo guest - this was happily done.

I may be too messy, but no problems with housekeeping for me with everything neatly folded, hang up etc. It is a large hotel though I could easily see attention to detail being overlooked especially when occupancy is high.

Have stayed about 14 nights here this year and I may have been doing the lounge wrong! The staff say welcome back Mr75 and I just waltz in and sit down anywhere - didn't know we were not suppose to do that.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:20 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by chad75
Recently had a good return stay of three nights. Graciously upgraded to a Koi Suite but in a somewhat ungrateful and tacky move I requested a downgrade to a corner room which I feel has a more practical layout for a solo guest - this was happily done.
Not tacky or ungrateful at all! Just honest. I’m sure the hotel appreciated the honesty which also allowed them to sell the room to or upgrade someone else.

Have stayed about 14 nights here this year and I may have been doing the lounge wrong! The staff say welcome back Mr75 and I just waltz in and sit down anywhere - didn't know we were not suppose to do that.
We also never had any issue with walking in and sitting anywhere after our first visit to the lounge. And they always greeted us by name (though understandably they sometimes mixed us up, being as we are both men!).
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by chad75
I may be too messy, but no problems with housekeeping for me with everything neatly folded, hang up etc. It is a large hotel though I could easily see attention to detail being overlooked especially when occupancy is high.

Yeah, the 100% occupancy probably did not help housekeeping perform to their usual standards (it was a long weekend in Japan last weekend). Nonetheless turning down a bed with clothes on it just is inexcusable...

We only used the lounge twice but were asked to show our room key and go through the awkward “registration” / table assignment both times.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Fc912
Also did not leave water bottles by the bed
Are you seriously counting it as a con/complaining that the hotel left the water bottles on the desk/near the TV/on the round table with the two chairs, instead of on the nightstand next to the bed a few feet away?

I thought I had heard it all...

By the way, I love the water that came in their own branded navy bottles. The lounge attendants said it came from an exclusive source. Wherever it was, it had an amazing mouthfeel and crispness, and I would ask Housekeeping for extras every night, to which they would happily oblige (yes, they are complimentary in the lounge, but this is not a US Sheraton where I wouldn't care about walking out of the lounge with multiple drinks to hang out in my room because the lounge sucks)
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Are you seriously counting it as a con/complaining that the hotel left the water bottles on the desk/near the TV/on the round table with the two chairs, instead of on the nightstand next to the bed a few feet away?

I thought I had heard it all...
In fact I do consider that something worth mentioning as that is not proper turn down in my view, especially when all other Tokyo hotels I’ve stayed at have been able to do this (Andaz, RC, MO, Peninsula, Shangri-La, PH...etc). Will I not stay at a hotel just because of this? Probably not. But I do notice the difference when I pass out after coming back at 3am and wake up parched and hungover without water within easy reach
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:51 pm

In fact I do consider that something worth mentioning as that is not proper turn down in my view, especially when all other Tokyo hotels I’ve stayed at have been able to do this (Andaz, RC, MO, Peninsula, Shangri-La, PH...etc). Will I not stay at a hotel just because of this? Probably not. But I do notice the difference when I pass out after coming back at 3am and wake up parched and hungover without water within easy reach
As long as they leave the water/ice bucket out somewhere visible - and not in the bathroom or hidden in a closet - I consider it turn down.

A complaint/con about the hotel because they used the table where people sit, eat, and drink at instead of a nightstand/bedside table a few feet away, is a ridiculous thing to even note. And I am particular about my hotel stays, but this just seems nitpicky to be nitpicky.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
As long as they leave the water/ice bucket out somewhere visible - and not in the bathroom or hidden in a closet - I consider it turn down.

A complaint/con about the hotel because they used the table where people sit, eat, and drink at instead of a nightstand/bedside table a few feet away, is a ridiculous thing to even note. And I am particular about my hotel stays, but this just seems nitpicky to be nitpicky.
We can agree to disagree, and it’s clear that we have different standards when it comes to hotels. If I were staying at a Four Points of course I would not note this. But a Luxury Collection Hotel should easily be able to get this right. A luxury hotel thinks of what a guest might want and need, even if it is minor and doesn’t enhance a stay dramatically. When you turn down a room, you prepare the room in a way that enables the guest to go to sleep easily. I don’t expect my guest to wake up in the middle of the night and walk to the table to grab water.

Last edited by Fc912; Nov 27, 2018 at 4:44 pm
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:56 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
When you turn down a room, you prepare the room in a way that enables the guest to go to sleep easily. I don’t expect my guest to wake up in the middle of the night and walk to the table to grab water.
I don’t disagree that this is appropriate. But I also think it’s quite a quibble. If a hotel misses this, I’d either say something or not complain about it at all.

FWIW. putting the water in a bad spot isn’t as bad as not putting out water at all or as not turning down at all. I’ve had Four Seasons and other luxury hotels do the latter two. So luxury hotels don’t akways get it right. Your issue then isn’t nearly as bad as some bigger issues at other more vaunted luxury hotels. I suspect that’s why it seems like your issue is more of a quibble.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:00 pm

We can agree to disagree, and it’s clear that we have different standards when it comes to hotels. If I were staying at a Four Points of course I would not note this. But a Luxury Collection Hotel should easily be able to get this right. A luxury hotel thinks of what a guest might want and need, even if it is minor and doesn’t enhance a stay dramatically. When you turn down a room, you prepare the room in a way that enables the guest to go to sleep easily. I don’t expect my guest to wake up in the middle of the night and walk to the table to grab water.
No, we don't have different standards when it comes to hotels. We just have different habits, and neither is wrong or right.

I wouldn't want water anywhere near the nightstand. I put my computer, phone, etc. here and wouldn't put food or water there to protect them.

I would consume food or water at the dining area/table, which is named to eat/drink. I also don't know many people who drink water in their sleep. Much more likely is drinking water during awake hours, which again would happen in the dining area - not in the sleeping area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.