Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Great Northern Hotel, Tribute Portfolio - London, UK [Master Thread]

Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email addresses (per post 154):

[email protected]

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

Great Northern Hotel, Tribute Portfolio - London, UK [Master Thread]

Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by christianj
- The bathroom was incredible BUT it only had a tub and no shower and the tub had one of those european hand wand shower heads and NO shower curtain so it meant sitting in the tub which I hate! (I lived in the UK for a while and have traveled extensively in Europe so it wasn't something I was total unaccustomed to but it is not my favorite way to wash up.)
Fully agree with your review, great little hotel and excellent service on top of a prefect location.

FWIW: I've had 3 different cubitt rooms there, each had unique bathroom layouts, but all had full showers. I love the Malin + Goetz soaps (but I fear Marriott will make them switch to China-made knockoffs)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
[QUOTE=itsaboutthejourney;30293054I love the Malin + Goetz soaps (but I fear Marriott will make them switch to China-made knockoffs)[/QUOTE]

+1...maybe there is hope since it's a Tribute Hotel and thus not required to stick to the Marriott cookie cutter crap.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:55 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Fully agree with your review, great little hotel and excellent service on top of a prefect location.

FWIW: I've had 3 different cubitt rooms there, each had unique bathroom layouts, but all had full showers. I love the Malin + Goetz soaps (but I fear Marriott will make them switch to China-made knockoffs)
Hopefully since there isn't a brand standard for Tribute Portfolio toiletries, they'll be able to keep offering what they offer now. We'll see ... I share your (assumed) general distrust of all things Marriott.

Though I will say, I am looking forward to when this hotel is moved to the Marriott booking engine, as opposed to the current system of Marriott.com sending you over to a shell of SPG.com to book, since this may be an attractive property at which to use points or cash to upgrade to a higher room category on a points booking, which many Marriott properties readily offer on the website without needing to call to book. This hotel already offered some unique points booking options for the higher room categories through SPG (moreso than many SPG properties did), though requiring a call, so hopefully they'll continue to offer lots of options in that way, and perhaps at a better deal than what used to be possible.

(I am not otherwise looking forward to the switchover of the booking engine since it will presumably cause at least as many IT problems as the loyalty engine switchover did, probably more given that the booking engine switch will potentially disrupt existing bookings, but there will at least be some tiny silver linings...)
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
According the the CS rep checking me in she said it was a triple upgrade as I was booked on an award stay.
I hate when front desks say that because they always say "award stay" or "you're paying with points" in such a condescending manner. But regardless of how they say it, if you have platinum you're entitled to a suite if they have one. I'm so sick of the arrogance.

Location worked for me but it's a bit odd being right next to St. Pancras and Kings Cross stations. The benefit of the location is easy access to transportation but I found the area to not be optimal for dining and shopping.
You should be glad it's as nice as it is now. Not long ago, this part of London was much rougher. I believe at one point there were bawdy houses and sex shops. It has gentrified a lot in the last 5-7 years.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I love the Malin + Goetz soaps (but I fear Marriott will make them switch to China-made knockoffs)
+1...maybe there is hope since it's a Tribute Hotel and thus not required to stick to the Marriott cookie cutter crap.
EDITION uses Le Labo (New York brand, product of Canada). I've received from Autograph collection and European FS Marriotts (in suites) Gilchrist & Soames (UK brand, product of USA), etc. I've even received real Thann in Japanese FS MR. I think the likelihood that Marriott will make them switch is pretty low.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by bennos
EDITION uses Le Labo (New York brand, product of Canada). I've received from Autograph collection and European FS Marriotts (in suites) Gilchrist & Soames (UK brand, product of USA), etc. I've even received real Thann in Japanese FS MR. I think the likelihood that Marriott will make them switch is pretty low.
I hate to tell you but the Canada made Le Labo is from Hunter Amenities and Gilchrist & Soames is now owned by Sysco industrial supply. Marriott sources pretty much all of their different brand soaps from Sysco with a few from Hunter and Marietta. Hunter has committed to making their products sustainable and in North America, but Sysco could care less and seems to source a lot from China.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
Though I will say, I am looking forward to when this hotel is moved to the Marriott booking engine, as opposed to the current system of Marriott.com sending you over to a shell of SPG.com to book, since this may be an attractive property at which to use points or cash to upgrade to a higher room category on a points booking, which many Marriott properties readily offer on the website without needing to call to book.
This together with all Tribute properties transferred across to the Marriott booking platform overnight.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bennos
I think the likelihood that Marriott will make them switch is pretty low.
Marriott is mandating dispensers in some of its brands, although I believe for now this is confined to limited-service brands. I could see soft brands like Tribute and Autograph Collection be given the green light for dispensers.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:05 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by oxfordjames
This together with all Tribute properties transferred across to the Marriott booking platform overnight.
Sadly I don't see any upgraded room categories bookable on points online, but maybe that will come at a later date. Presumably the properties are still going through various transitions getting used to the new system first. And though I don't have any Tribute bookings right now, hopefully the system transition went smoothly for anyone who does.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
It’s a great hotel in so many ways, but if one gets caught up in all the ‘status’ requirements at this hotel, then one is missing everything else that makes this place...
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:59 am

In 4-5 stays over the span of a few years, I have never failed to be upgraded to a Cubitt room yet (touch wood).

Attractive option if you need good transport links. Breakfast is one of the highlights of the hotel, as it's all completely made to order and high quality. I also always appreciate the classy and well-executed interior design.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:07 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’m surprised the restaurant never got a Michelin star. There are definitely worse starred restaurants in London.

The new bar bar should be open any day now, so that should also become an attraction.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I’m surprised the restaurant never got a Michelin star. There are definitely worse starred restaurants in London.

The new bar bar should be open any day now, so that should also become an attraction.
The question remains, is this a practical option for anyone staying more than a single night, especially when the nearby Renaissance St. Pancras has a lounge with complimentary alcohol.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The question remains, is this a practical option for anyone staying more than a single night, especially when the nearby Renaissance St. Pancras has a lounge with complimentary alcohol.
The answer would depend on if the lounge and free alcohol is important for you in deciding where to stay. For me it is not that important as I don’t typically like large cookie cutter hotels and I like to get out of the lounge and experience local places. Different strokes for different folks! I will always prefer a breakfast option in the restaurant over a lounge and as long as I get water in the room I’m ok without a lounge. I actually don’t understand why anyone would spend longer than a couple of minutes in a lounge.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
At the Ren, unless you book a Chambers Jr Ste or higher in which case it looks more promising on the photos (but expect to pay £350+ pn), I found the Barlow Wing rooms to be about as generic and soulless as they come.

The corridor on the way to the Barlow Wing lift always had an unpleasant stench of the dishwasher and slightly off food.

The lounge was not bad for European standards, but I just can't get terribly excited about it in a city full of options like London.

At the same price, I would much rather GNH. The fact that GNH is usually at least £50 cheaper in my experience is just icing on the cake (and I can run down to the buzzy GNH bar and order a few cocktails and proper food with the difference in rate!)
EuropeanPete likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.