FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   FAQ: How long for SPG points to transfer TO an airline; and between SPG accounts ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/171886-faq-how-long-spg-points-transfer-airline-between-spg-accounts.html)

MikeLikesSpam Jan 11, 2008 9:27 pm

FAQ: How long for SPG points to transfer TO an airline; and between SPG accounts ?

Hello. I'm pretty new to awards / loyalty programs having recently signed up for an SPG AMEX.

I'm looking for any advice on the best process for determining, transferring and redeeming SPG points for a flight on a set date and location. The number of different airlines available for transfer and the latency between initiating a transfer and when the points are usable in an airline program are the issues that make this issue seem complex to me...

Say for example I want to go to Spain on specific dates. Do I first determine a route I want, then check with the airline for available awards on that route, then xsfer Starpoints and hope that the award is still available once the transaction is complete. Or is there (hopefully) a better method?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Best,
Mike

/mod

Earlier thread can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

/mod

stevenshev Jan 15, 2008 11:35 am

SPG -> BA: How Long?

Hi. I know they say 30 days, but does anyone actually have experience with how long a transfer of SPG points to BA takes?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Steven

DAYflier Jan 22, 2008 11:19 am

Starpoints to USAirways Transfer

Hello All:

I’m wondering if anyone has had any recent experience transferring Starwood Starpoints to their USAirways Dividend Miles account.

Does anyone have some idea of how long it takes? SPG.com says that it can take 2-4 weeks, but I’m hoping to be able to transfer points quickly so that I can grab these seats before they jump up to 50,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for any help!

--Micah

Richard1148 Jan 22, 2008 1:56 pm

I didn't remember it as being this fast, but I just checked my SPG account and it shows that I made a transfer on 10/13/07 and my US Airways account shows the transfer posted 10/15/07.

stephem Jan 22, 2008 3:41 pm

Mine have generally taken under 1 week, including one on Dec24 that took only 2 days.

rrgg Jan 23, 2008 7:22 am

A friend did this in May 2006, and it took 2 weeks.

jayflyer Jan 26, 2008 10:53 pm

SPG will always say 2 weeks just for CYA. however, the rep told me off the record it does not take more than a couple of days.

nologic Feb 18, 2008 10:32 am

What is your Fastest Transfer Time from SPG to AAdvantage?

People have reported varying experiences i terms of the amount of time it has taken for online transfers to AA to post.

What is the fastest time period you have experienced for online transfers within the same name for transfers from SPG to AA for AAdvantage accounts already "registered" as a designated account within SPG.com?

Also, if you transfer 80,000 in a day, do you end up with 99,999 points or 95,000 points?

Starwood Lurker Feb 18, 2008 10:39 am

Originally Posted by nologic (Post 9270716)
...Also, if you transfer 80,000 in a day, do you end up with 99,999 points or 95,000 points?

Probably zero miles until you get the airline follow-up done. The maximum daily limit is 99,999. If you transfer 80,000, we are going to add 20,000, which will exceed the daily limit by 1 mile and the airline is going to reject it.

All fixable...eventually.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

nologic Feb 18, 2008 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker (Post 9270747)
Probably zero miles until you get the airline follow-up done. The maximum daily limit is 99,999. If you transfer 80,000, we are going to add 20,000, which will exceed the daily limit by 1 mile and the airline is going to reject it.

All fixable...eventually.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

So, you are saying it's better to transfer 79,000 SPGs, which would translate into 94,000 AAdvantage miles, to achieve the maximum number of transferable points in one day?

broadwayblue Feb 18, 2008 10:49 am

Originally Posted by nologic (Post 9270776)
So, you are saying it's better to transfer 79,000 SPGs, which would translate into 94,000 AAdvantage miles, to achieve the maximum number of transferable points in one day?

No, it's better to transfer 60k Starpoints per day to get 75k miles.

As far as the fastest time goes...I submitted my first ever miles request online at SPG on Sunday, Feb. 3...and 15 days later I'm still waiting for my miles to post.

Starwood Lurker Feb 18, 2008 10:53 am

Originally Posted by nologic (Post 9270776)

However you wish to break it up is fine, but you can't exceed the 100,000 mile daily transfer limit - taking into consideration that we add 5,000 for every 20,000 you transfer - and have it go through without being rejected. This can only be done in two transfers done greater than 24 hours apart and I have always found round numbers to be the best way to go, like:

60,000 + 15,000 = 75,000
then 24+ hours later:
20,000 + 5,000 = 25,000

If 100,000 is the intended goal.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

leandrorar Feb 18, 2008 10:54 am

11k miles, 48hours

That's the time it took for me.

11k miles, 48hours.

LR

Starwood Lurker Feb 18, 2008 10:55 am

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 9270790)
No, it's better to transfer 60k Starpoints per day to get 75k miles.

As far as the fastest time goes...I submitted my first ever miles request online at SPG on Sunday, Feb. 3...and 15 days later I'm still waiting for my miles to post.

Might be time to call SPG and ask for an airline transfer follow-up. ;)

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

broadwayblue Feb 18, 2008 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker (Post 9270831)
Might be time to call SPG and ask for an airline transfer follow-up. ;)

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Thanks for the tip. I did actually send SPG customer service an email about this yesterday...I was originally hesitant to do so because the SPG confirmation email clearly stated I should allow 2 to 4 weeks for the transfer to go through. But everyone else seems to claim it always takes 2 or 3 days...so I sent a politely written inquiry to SPG asking them to take a look.