Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Punta De Mita, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Punta De Mita, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and AA Concierge Key
Has anyone stayed here yet? I managed to find rooms between Xmas and NY. I can't find many real photos yet though.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:45 pm

Anyone been yet? Still no photos online
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Any updates? Trying to decide between here and the St Regis. Young couple so we gravitate more towards Ws, and it looks like the beach will be better there. But, enjoy St Regis service level. Thoughts?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by dtwdoc
Any updates? Trying to decide between here and the St Regis. Young couple so we gravitate more towards Ws, and it looks like the beach will be better there. But, enjoy St Regis service level. Thoughts?
The St Regis PM has a modern/chic feel compared to every other St Regis I've been too fyi.

Naming it the W Punta Mita and the hotel not even being in Punta Mita is a bit of misrepresentation imho. It's tough to give you any guidance as no one has yet stayed at the W. Overall we had an excellent time at the St Regis and thought it was a world class beach resort. Perhaps you can try out both since they are fairly close to each other.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hotel condo residences, rather than villas? still at least suites rather than rooms
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:33 pm

debating between str and w

Went to st regis last winter and now debating between the two. It looks like it's a 25 minute drive between the properties, and like others have mentioned that W seems to be pretty secluded. We have friends at str so W may be too far away for us.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Travel Zoo

Just noticed this Travel Zoo promo for W Punta Mita.

https://www.travelzoo.com/local-deal...z_adid=2415882

I've often found very good deals with TZ and they always redirect to SPG website, so you get all your benefits.

What's Included
Stay Jan. 1 - April 30
Wonderful Jungle View Room for 2 people: three nights for $799, four nights for $999, five nights for $1199
Spectacular Ocean View Room for 2 people: three nights for $1099, four nights for $1399, five nights for $1699
Welcome drinks for two
Free bicycles to ride throughout the property
Complimentary Wi-Fi and parking
Price is for two adults
Not available on: April 13-16
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Staying now

Staying here now for New Year's as a platinum. Upgraded from traditional room to Ocean Front Extreme Wow Suite. Most insane "room" I've ever had. Two full
bedrooms. Three full baths. A bar. A living room. A dance
floor. 3 or 4 plunge/lap pools. Must be 3000k sq feet.

Trip report to come.

Otherwise, seems like a nice new SPG value on points.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:32 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I have friends there now and they LOVE it !
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
New Years

We used points for a 5 night stay over New Years with another family. This is an incredible new hotel and one of the best deals out there. At first we were reluctant to go to a W because we were traveling with four kids ranging in age from 5 to 8, but we ultimately decided to have adult fun over the New Year and visit a cooler place as opposed to a kid-friendly place. Well, weren't we surprised when we got there to find an amazingly new (and free) kids club? A kids club our kids actually begged to attend. A kids club that remained open until 1am on New Years. Turns out this hotel is the perfect mix of an adult/hip atmosphere with the possibility to bring along kids.

Overall this is an amazingly new property with a fantastic pool and an even better beach -- this has to be one of the best beaches in Mexico. Fairly private, great sand and very swimable.

Rooms: As a Platinum100 my SNA's were denied for the two rooms we reserved with points -- as the hotel was full. yet upon check in we were told one of our rooms was upgraded- turns out we were upgraded to the Extreme Wow Suite -- and frankly, the name does not do it justice. This was a beach house. Two full bedrooms. Living room/ bar, a few plunge pools, and an enormous deck overlooking the ocean. Breathtaking. Needless to say both families stayed there and we gave up the other room, which was a jungle room. But there are many varieties of cool rooms here- lagoon rooms, beach rooms. A lot to choose from in a fairly small environment.

Location: The hotel is a bit secluded, which is very nice and private, but does require a journey to go out to restaurants -- basically a $60+ taxi commitment for every venture. Go to Sayulita-- definitely worth visiting.

Pool: Nice and warm. Very swimable. Short walk to the ocean. Just a few steps. This is a bit of a "hip" scene so expect music and a DJ, but it wasn't overpowering. What's great is they have fantastic beds/cabanas around the pool that are free, which is almost unheard of.

Beach: A bit of a disappointment you have to pay to rent boogie boards ($40 a day each). But the beach is great for surfing and boarding. Some days it was placid and other days had some big surf. A nice walkable beach, just a few vendors, but not annoying. You can rent beach cabanas, which are like little homes- for $250 ish. Very nice.

Food: A very nice breakfast buffet. Omletes made to order. Nice fruit and such. Pool food was decent. Tacos etc. Not absurd pricing. Perhaps expensive for Mexico, but not ridiculous. Spice Market for dinner is just such an odd fit in Mexico. Food was good. But very expensive and just unusual to have Asian as your anchor restaurant. There is a more traditional option as well.

A few minor inconsistencies:
- Beggers cant be choosers, but when they brought us to our Wow Suite no one stayed to show us how to operate the sound system or mechanical lighting and curtains. In fact, when we called them back it took two days to get someone to figure out how to work the sound system.
-Service: Typical Mexico service, which was vaguely uninterested, unreliable and what you get with a 10% tip included on everything -- though they expect more, and we gave it when warranted. I do want to point out one gentleman in the Wave beach rentals who was amazing and went out of his way to help us and the kids. We tipped him upon leaving and he was very grateful. I should note the front desk service is fantastic. This merely has to do with food service.
-Taxis are such a scam in Mexico. Somehow you cant get a roundtrip to a 20 minute town without paying $80. It is nice the cars will stay for you, but just seems there has to be a cheaper way.
-Platinum Breakfast: This was a mess. Some days we were told we dont get a check-- other days we were given a check, or chased down when leaving. Some days breakfast was for everyone, some days it was for two, some days kids paid, other days they did not. Other guests told me the same story. But i give the hotel credit, because without me saying anything no breakfast charges were on our bill.

Ultimately, do not sleep on this amazing new hotel. It is a great deal for families who want something for the kids and themselves. And a special shout out to the GM Brian who did everything to ensure we enjoyed ourselves.

We will surely be back soon.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JBauer
Ultimately, do not sleep on this amazing new hotel. It is a great deal for families who want something for the kids and themselves. And a special shout out to the GM Brian who did everything to ensure we enjoyed ourselves.

We will surely be back soon.
Great review. Have you ever been to the nearby St. Regis? Am curious about comparisons.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
We wanted to return to the St. Regis (best hotel we've ever been to) but it is sold out and our dates are not flexible. Just booked the W. While I am actually hoping for the St Regis to open up, I am also looking forward to trying this new property. We booked a spectacular ocean view room on points. Have requested SNA's.

Not happy to hear about it costing $80 to go into Punta de Mita. Is that really true? We plan to eat dinner at Si Senior, Sufi and Carolina. Would love to know about a reasonably priced option.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
We wanted to return to the St. Regis (best hotel we've ever been to) but it is sold out and our dates are not flexible. Just booked the W. While I am actually hoping for the St Regis to open up, I am also looking forward to trying this new property. We booked a spectacular ocean view room on points. Have requested SNA's.

Not happy to hear about it costing $80 to go into Punta de Mita. Is that really true? We plan to eat dinner at Si Senior, Sufi and Carolina. Would love to know about a reasonably priced option.
I'm eagerly awaiting your review. We agree, the SR is the best hotel that we've ever been too. When we went, we rented a car and drove, saving on the taxi mafia fees. I made sure that I took lots of pictures of the car before departure, and other than the gigantic speed bumps, we had no issues. Have fun!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by wizzy
I'm eagerly awaiting your review. We agree, the SR is the best hotel that we've ever been too. When we went, we rented a car and drove, saving on the taxi mafia fees. I made sure that I took lots of pictures of the car before departure, and other than the gigantic speed bumps, we had no issues. Have fun!
I will certainly report back. I don't really want to have a car in Mexico. We plan to be at the resort during they day, and I don't plan to be in any condition to drive by the time I am heading back to the hotel from dinner
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Another Travel Zoo sale

https://www.travelzoo.com/local-deal...ontent=2465361

Opened in mid-2016, the 4.5-star W Punta de Mita is offering discounted stays from $599 for two people, saving more than $720 on spring and summer getaways. We negotiated three- to five-night packages into October to help our members plan their summer holidays at the colorful, beachfront resort just outside of Puerto Vallarta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.