Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Question Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao [Master Thread]

Hi everyone,
I tried the search, but nothing came up for the Sheraton Waigaoqiao in Shanghai, not even in the "which Starwood in PVG" or "...in China" threads.
Any experiences with this hotel?

The Waigaoqiao is just 15 minutes away from a client I have to visit, while the other *woods are more far away. I don't need a fancy platinum suite upgrade for this stay, just the usual good bed, a quite room with a good working desk, and decent food. An executive club lounge would be nice, but I can survive without one. I just want to make sure nothing goes wrong with this stay.

Has anyone stayed there and how was it like?

Thanks a lot,
zap!
Old May 30, 2015, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zap7
Hi everyone,
I tried the search, but nothing came up for the Sheraton Waigaoqiao in Shanghai, not even in the "which Starwood in PVG" or "...in China" threads.
Any experiences with this hotel?

The Waigaoqiao is just 15 minutes away from a client I have to visit, while the other *woods are more far away. I don't need a fancy platinum suite upgrade for this stay, just the usual good bed, a quite room with a good working desk, and decent food. An executive club lounge would be nice, but I can survive without one. I just want to make sure nothing goes wrong with this stay.

Has anyone stayed there and how was it like?

Thanks a lot,
zap!
I had no clue there was a Sheraton out there, but I'm guessing it's okay; Waigaoqiao doesn't completely suck (i.e. not really "Shanghai", however decent dining options, and much less hectic than 陆家嘴).
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Any recent reports from this property?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:21 pm

Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao

Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

28 Jilong Road Waigaoqiao  Shanghai, China CN 200131

Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao (9 Photos)

I recently had a stay at Sheraton Waigaoqiao to check it out.  Overall this is a solid hotel which treats Platinums well.  The regular night rate on points is very low at 4k pts.  However when I showed up at the last minute occupancy was high so I paid 5k pts by calling in to book.  Still reasonable for a last minute booking. 

Room

Not only occupancy was high, but there were no suites available on spg.com so I did not expect one, but I got a pleasant surprise when they told me that I was upgraded to a suite.  The room is in excellent condition, very spacious, two bathrooms, and living room separate from the bedroom.  The hotel is quite recent and has newer technology such as curtains that you can open and close with the wall switch rather than manually, and a TV in the bathroom mirror.  I am not sure if all floors are the same, but on my floor there were 2 suites out of 10 rooms so I would think Platinum suite upgrade chances are good here. 

20180417_065457.jpg20180417_065510.jpg20180417_065524.jpg20180417_065553.jpg20180417_065607.jpg20180417_065657.jpg

Location might be the downside of this hotel – I guess it depends what you are in Shanghai for.  It’s quite a bit out of the way and I would not recommend it for a tourist.  However if you need to be in the Free Trade Zone then it’s perfect.  Even though it’s on the same side of the city as PVG airport (east side), it’s quite far north.  It took me almost one hour from the airport by taxi and traffic was not particularly bad.  Cost = 180 RMN.  On the way back I wanted to be a bit adventurous so I tried the subway.  The nearest station is Waigaoqiao Free Trade Zone North on line 6, only a 5 minute walk, and you have access from the street with an elevator or escalator.  You need to transfer at Century Avenue station and connect with line 2.  PVG airport is the final station on line 2, however the subway is not direct from Century Avenue to PVG: everybody needs to change train mid way at Guanglam Road station.  So overall not very convenient, and the last portion on line 2 was very crowded despite not rush hour.  The whole ride door to door took almost 2 hours.  It costs only 8 RMN, but unless you want to experience the subway I would not recommend it. 

Dining

Back to the hotel, the Club Lounge is on the top floor (51).  When you get out of the elevators there is a very high ceiling and grandiose effect as you enter the lounge. 

20180417_092259.jpg

The furniture inside is very posh, great views of the city, and lots of space.  Happy hour is 5:30pm to 8pm.  Food selection was good – I had sushi, fried rice, steamed veggies, margarita pizza, and tasty boiled fish.  Drinks are a bit subpar – only one choice of red and white.  Breakfast in the lounge was not as good as during happy hour, but it was ok. 

20180417_092001.jpg20180417_092045.jpg

Overall

Overall I would say this is a good hotel but only if you need to be in that part of Shanghai.  If you are a tourist, the subway ride to the city center is close to one hour so it would not work for sightseeing in my opinion, but if you are in Waigaoqiao on business then it’s an excellent choice at modest cost point wise, and cash wise too, but to a lesser extent. 

Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao

Would you like to write a review on the Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is it one of those club lounges where the staff insists on serving the drinks to you or is it self service?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is it one of those club lounges where the staff insists on serving the drinks to you or is it self service?
From memory, they served my drinks rather than self-serve.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:00 am

There are no self service lounges in China !
There are no SPG near Waigaoqiao sheraton !

Last edited by Anthony Yu; Jun 8, 2018 at 1:08 am
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Anthony Yu
IME self serve is more common than table service.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by moondog
IME self serve is more common than table service.
True, most of the hotels in large Chinese cities I have been to are self-service although staff do try to help.

On another note, is this hotel about 30 minutes from Pudong airport?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:04 am

True, most of the hotels in large Chinese cities I have been to are self-service although staff do try to help.

On another note, is this hotel about 30 minutes from Pudong airport?
kangqiao Marriott OR courtyard international tourism resorts zone
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skyteam777
.......on another note, is this hotel about 30 minutes from pudong airport?
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by escape4
............it took me almost one hour from the airport by taxi and traffic was not particularly bad. Cost = 180 rmn........
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the Renaissance Pudong the best choice for closest to airport? I know it's still about 30 minutes and 130 RNB, but need an option for an overnight.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:44 am

Is the Renaissance Pudong the best choice for closest to airport? I know it's still about 30 minutes and 130 RNB, but need an option for an overnight.
kangqiao Marriott OR courtyard international tourism resorts zone closer than Pudong renaissance,but Renaissance is better than other two hotels
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:49 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Anthony Yu
What is the definition of self serving, you can pour your own wine and mixed drinks? In 5 SPG hotels in Shanghai the wine, beer, and hardstuff all out their for me during happy hour, don't know which lounges you go to?

Last edited by chipmaster; Jun 8, 2018 at 1:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.