Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'm debating between both too. Reviews for the W seem to indicate the reef is better and the rooms are more "authentic" - plus they waive the rollaway fee for the first child under 12 while StR charges $100/night. Also it doesn't seem StR will allow children in OWBs - and their 60k room is a garden villa, whereas the W room is on the beach.

I think we will end up sticking with a Beach Villa at the W. I had a 5 night cash booking for the Garden Villa at StR I cancelled and the availability did come back right away to be booked on points... it's gone now but keep an eye on dates
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
I'm debating between both too. Reviews for the W seem to indicate the reef is better and the rooms are more "authentic" - plus they waive the rollaway fee for the first child under 12 while StR charges $100/night. Also it doesn't seem StR will allow children in OWBs - and their 60k room is a garden villa, whereas the W room is on the beach.

I think we will end up sticking with a Beach Villa at the W. I had a 5 night cash booking for the Garden Villa at StR I cancelled and the availability did come back right away to be booked on points... it's gone now but keep an eye on dates
We stayed with kids 4 and 8 at the STR earlier this year on a OWB.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by tylerc
Interesting...I mentioned the price increase to them and they simply stated it was an increase with their contract renewal - I didn't bother going any further with it.
They wrote back saying that the rate is actually $665 for this year not $645 (which is a 2017 rate according to them) so I will only be extended the $665 rate - which I don't believe is correct but unfortunately have no way of proving...
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by mikeyyz

I have the same dilemma. W does have a better reef but is it that the reef at StR is poor? Service may be better at StR. Then what does StR do to be able to command such a premium on paid rates over the W? This is what is making me think is StR way better than W overall?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT
Originally Posted by vikasr
I have the same dilemma. W does have a better reef but is it that the reef at StR is poor? Service may be better at StR. Then what does StR do to be able to command such a premium on paid rates over the W? This is what is making me think is StR way better than W overall?
If I had been able to book an over-water at the StR for 85K, it would be a tougher call for me. But I now have double-booked a GV at the StR @ 60K and an OWV at the W for 85K. For my first time to the Maldives, I can't imagine NOT being an OWV...and there's no way I'm paying the current premium to get from a 60K GV to an OWV. I too wonder why the StR commands such a price premium and would love to hear from those who have been to both.

I'm leaning heavily toward the W. For me, the reef matters. I expect to spend a lot of time in the water snorkeling and I don't plan to learn to dive. Having to pay $75/pp to take a boat from the StR every time I want decent snorkeling is a bit obnoxious and eliminates the spontaneity of jumping in the water. That said, I do have friends who have gone to the StR and though the snorkeling was excellent...so the W must be that much better.

Food is so outrageously expensive at either place (and even more so at the StR, especially now that they ditched the 10-20% off) that I'll feel ill paying for it regardless. It'd be great to get the StR breakfast, but it's not enough to put me over.

No question I'll bring the average age way up at the W, but oh well.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
When I went late last year, the reef at the StR was pretty much non-existent. Unfortunately I'm no George Costanza so unclear how long it takes for a reef to grow but I'd imagine quite a few years. If you care a lot about the reef, go to the W.

I think you answered your own question, it's a St Regis vs a W, completely different customer base, one is geared towards the luxury traveler, the other towards the lifestyle traveler.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by cshel
When I went late last year, the reef at the StR was pretty much non-existent. Unfortunately I'm no George Costanza so unclear how long it takes for a reef to grow but I'd imagine quite a few years...
Marine biologist George! I love it^

I am still looking forward to St.R Vommuli. Many resorts do not have house reefs.

Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:23 pm

How many points needed

How many points does it take for a 5 nights stay owv now ?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
See for example my posts from way earlier in the thread re: the reef - even when we went, which is almost 2 years ago now (geez, time flies) the reef was crap. Even a snorkelling expedition didn’t take us somewhere mind blowing, so if snorkelling is what you’re looking for and it ranks high on your list of criteria, then this IS NOT IT.

That said, it’s likely that the StR has better food, better accommodations and overall it’s a higher end brand than the W so there’s some automatic “oh yeah it’s a StR” recognition happening.

I’ll be fair that I’ve not been to the W and am going based on stuff I’ve read, but my assumption is the W has a significantly better reef. I hope it doesn’t end up like my quest to always experience something myself before trusting people on opinions - “Tahiti is better than Cooks! Ok... let’s try Tahiti ... umm no it’s not. Ok wait Maldives is better than cooks and Tahiti! Ok ... let’s try Maldives ... uhh no it’s not”. Lol. But for now this is the going-in position.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Marine biologist George! I love it^

I am still looking forward to St.R Vommuli. Many resorts do not have house reefs.

I did discover scuba there and they take you to the the part where the island finishes and drops off into the deeper sea and the reef there is not bad. Lots of fish. Yeah you can't do it on your own as you need to be at a couple of metres depth before the drop starts.Its like the side of a mountain with lots of caves for fish.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:34 am

Then again if you tip your butler 10K six months before you arrive he might transplant some live coral outside your OWV just for you.....
cshel, countingmiles and porkie like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Then again if you tip your butler 10K six months before you arrive he might transplant some live coral outside your OWV just for you.....
I recommend this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:21 pm
kkl

After reading all the feedback I'm leaning towards W but have a 7 night 85k OWV rate in Dec!!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by kkl
After reading all the feedback I'm leaning towards W but have a 7 night 85k OWV rate in Dec!!

Keep in mind you won't see STR OWV for 85k ever again...I believe W is still bookable for that rate.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by tylerc
Keep in mind you won't see STR OWV for 85k ever again...I believe W is still bookable for that rate.
I was having the same debate and that's ultimately why I am keeping my 85k/night STR OWV reservation. If I go back ill go back to Maldives I can do a Hilton Property or the W or potentially one of the other new Marriott properties.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.