Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
BarSu is pretty bad for wall to wall working girls and sleazy guys, but the staff are so charming the place still has a welcoming atmosphere.

I was in there one night when a strapping young man in his early 30s decided he wanted a night with a hooker, but unfortunately for him he rather overshot the amount of alcohol it would take to put together the courage vs. the alcohol which would render him unable to properly stand up.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Okay. I've not seen any of that in six stays last year. Maybe I'm not hanging out in the lobby at the right time
You dont see it at the LM. Its just that 100 m away it is prolific and its common and accepted that girls and boys get guested in. This is the same in SGS, Aloft. 4P and Westin that I am aware of. It does not mean that it is obvious.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by geminidreams
You dont see it at the LM. Its just that 100 m away it is prolific and its common and accepted that girls and boys get guested in. This is the same in SGS, Aloft. 4P and Westin that I am aware of. It does not mean that it is obvious.
People see what they want to see. I never really noticed it until I started looking for it, then it was one of those, "man, it's everywhere!" moments. People I have seen just go through to the elevator and up to their room, it's none of my business. It's fairly discreet from my experiences seeing it too, but I suppose in a place like Pattaya things would be a little bit more obvious. Most of my stays in Bangkok are in the W, which is far away enough from the action of the red light districts I don't tend to notice it. I have actually been offered companionship in the Woobar once before, maybe I have the look of a man needing company. I was a little surprised about it, they just looked like regular girls having a drink and it doesn't seem prostitutes would be around. Either way, it doesn't bother me what anyone else does if it doesn't affect me.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
Either way, it doesn't bother me what anyone else does if it doesn't affect me.
This. If the behavior of someone is inappropriate/offensive, then say something to management and let them deal with it. Doesn't matter what they do for a living, -- if their behavior is inappropriate, it's inappropriate. Otherwise, let people be.
geminidreams likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
BarSu is pretty bad for wall to wall working girls and sleazy guys, but the staff are so charming the place still has a welcoming atmosphere.
Sounds like the place downstairs at the Erawan.
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Complaining about hookers in Bangkok is about the same as complaining about snow at the North Pole. It simply comes with the territory and you should expect to see them everywhere you go.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:45 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Okay. I've not seen any of that in six stays last year. Maybe I'm not hanging out in the lobby at the right time
Not the lobby! The ground floor under the lobby (where BarSu is located) where you will see a parade of guests and their girlfriends dujour heading up the elevator for a good night cap!

Agreed, to each his/her own!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:47 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Clearly people have varying layers of the ability to visually ascertain professions, character and make personal judgements as to their own comfort. To each his/her own. Let's move on.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Kalboz
How so?
I've had many stays at both and find the JWM far superior in every aspect. In fact I'm of the impression that the JWM is just as good as the SGS or maybe better.
"Far superior" is a substantial claim. Have you stayed at Athenee several times? I mean, could it be you were just unlucky when staying there?

I have been thinking myself which new Marriott/SPG hotel to try and tend to go with Athenee. At least from pics and videos online it seems significantly nicer than JW and other two better Marriotts (Marquis and Surawongse).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by barracuda93
"Far superior" is a substantial claim. Have you stayed at Athenee several times? I mean, could it be you were just unlucky when staying there?

I have been thinking myself which new Marriott/SPG hotel to try and tend to go with Athenee. At least from pics and videos online it seems significantly nicer than JW and other two better Marriotts (Marquis and Surawongse).
I have to go back and count how many nights I've stayed at the Athenee - at least 15 stays and have had the apartment like suite. To each his own but how many times have you stayed at either property?

My first stay there was in 2006 when most of the guests fled as the military tanks rolled down the plaza in front of Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall toppling the Democratically elected government. But, regardless, the comparison with the JWM is not even close. The JWM is very glamorous and with substance. Sure the Athenee can fool you with that dramatic staircase at their lobby, but other than that nothing else to write home about. Athenee lounge is nice but the JWM lounge patio on its own is bigger!

The Athenee:

JWM:
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Kalboz
I have to go back and count how many nights I've stayed at the Athenee - at least 15 stays and have had the apartment like suite. To each his own but how many times have you stayed at either property?
Oh, I am not arguing with you or anyone here, I just expressed my surprise given how many positive reviews of Athenee I have seen online, including here on FT.

Personally I have not stayed yet at either of the two – as I mentioned above, I am picking the hotel for my next visit and was actually considering Athenee, JW and Surawongse. I tend to like Athenee more from the photos/reviews, but impression can be misleading of course.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Oh, I am not arguing with you or anyone here, I just expressed my surprise given how many positive reviews of Athenee I have seen online, including here on FT.

Personally I have not stayed yet at either of the two – as I mentioned above, I am picking the hotel for my next visit and was actually considering Athenee, JW and Surawongse. I tend to like Athenee more from the photos/reviews, but impression can be misleading of course.
The decision is ultimately yours, and others might disagree with me but I haven't read too many positive reports for a while now. IMO, the JWM wins over the Athenee hands down. I have never stayed at the The Surawongse, so I cannot comment on that.

JW Marriott executive lounge balcony overlooking Bangkok skyline. Note the Conrad on the right with its terrace suite with the tree.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
The pictures of the Athenee do look good but I haven't stayed there and am looking at a coming trip, its a long way off though. I use to travel into and through Bangkok a couple times a year but that ended a dozen years ago. Back then I had Priceline pretty dialed in and stayed at the JWM regularly especially the first few days of a trip.

This time is purely a pleasure trip with my wife, who has never been to Asia. I'm a bit tossed up as where in the city, and for how long, would make for a good first impression. I have a 7 night Marriott cat 4 certificate, that'll covers a number of properties in Bangkok including the TA and JWM. I'm Marriott PPE. I don't have to use the cert but this might be a good use considering the current categories of the a number of properties especially the Athenee which seems like a likely candidate to go to Cat 5.

Seven day might to be too much in Bangkok for a pleasure trip. Besides for her first time in the city I almost think being on the river for a couple nights might be better.

The JWM being almost beside Nana really isn't a plus, especially for this trip. Though back in the day I did have some very good meals at the JWM when I couldn't be bothered from jet lag to go out of the hotel. the Steam/Sauna/Spa/pool was very nice. I assume the Athenee has similar, its not like its hard to find a good spa in Bangkok. On the other hand the Athenee being on or just off Wireless Rd isn't much of plus either. Yes, the BTS is easy to get to it seems but aside from breakfast I'm not much for eating in a hotel especially in Bangkok.

A gym is and important consideration for my wife, what is it like at the Athenee? I'd think the JWM after the renovation would have a better one.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Ripley62
The pictures of the Athenee do look good but I haven't stayed there and am looking at a coming trip, its a long way off though. I use to travel into and through Bangkok a couple times a year but that ended a dozen years ago. Back then I had Priceline pretty dialed in and stayed at the JWM regularly especially the first few days of a trip.

This time is purely a pleasure trip with my wife, who has never been to Asia. I'm a bit tossed up as where in the city, and for how long, would make for a good first impression. I have a 7 night Marriott cat 4 certificate, that'll covers a number of properties in Bangkok including the TA and JWM. I'm Marriott PPE. I don't have to use the cert but this might be a good use considering the current categories of the a number of properties especially the Athenee which seems like a likely candidate to go to Cat 5.

Seven day might to be too much in Bangkok for a pleasure trip. Besides for her first time in the city I almost think being on the river for a couple nights might be better.

The JWM being almost beside Nana really isn't a plus, especially for this trip. Though back in the day I did have some very good meals at the JWM when I couldn't be bothered from jet lag to go out of the hotel. the Steam/Sauna/Spa/pool was very nice. I assume the Athenee has similar, its not like its hard to find a good spa in Bangkok. On the other hand the Athenee being on or just off Wireless Rd isn't much of plus either. Yes, the BTS is easy to get to it seems but aside from breakfast I'm not much for eating in a hotel especially in Bangkok.

A gym is and important consideration for my wife, what is it like at the Athenee? I'd think the JWM after the renovation would have a better one.
I've stayed at the Athenee four times in the past year so will wade in here. It's a beautiful hotel, there is no attempt made to deceive in the photos on the hotel website and it looks exactly like that. The rooms have a beautiful design with a sort of Peninsula aesthetic and high quality furnishings, but with local Thai touches. To me, they're the most attractive rooms in Bangkok within the combined Marriott/SPG group by far. The bathrooms are a bit old fashioned and lack e.g. a rain shower/some other modern amenities but are still very well kept. The pool also really is that beautiful - one of the best in Bangkok for relaxing by, although unfortunately fairly useless for serious swimming as one end of the pool reduces to almost zero depth. Public areas downstairs are grand and imposing, with a real Old World luxury feel. The lounge is physically not as impressive as the rest of the hotel, but is at least looking better after the recent refurbishment (however there is, e.g., no outdoor space and some of the furniture is a bit mismatched to me). Food quality in the lounge is high and service is good, but the selection is a lot smaller than you'll find in the largest Marriott lounges in Bangkok. Platinum and above are given breakfast downstairs in the Rain Tree Cafe which is a truly great breakfast buffet and has a strong balance between a wide selection of items and maintaining good quality throughout.

My main issue is that unfortunately, I don't find service to be quite up to the level of some of the other top choices in Bangkok which is what gives me slight hesitations regarding recommending it. Some of the staff are amazing but at the same time it's also the kind of place where someone smiles slightly oddly at you as they tell you 'no, we can't do that'.

Gym is fine, but again not one of the best in the city.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Ripley62
Seven day might to be too much in Bangkok for a pleasure trip.
It probably is for a first time visitor. Bangkok can be exhausting.

Cash rates are usually the best deal. Though it is a good place to burn a Cat 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.