Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hong Kong, 2014-present

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hong Kong usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads

Broad summary of the Hong Kong Marriott brands is as follows:

Luxury
The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong - Superb full harbour views, good quality restaurants on-site and the world's highest bar (Ozone, that has up to a 20% discount for elite members that actually makes it reasonable value). Negatives would be price and location is in Kowloon (i.e. not ideal for tourists).
St Regis Hong Kong - New (in 2020), great quality rooms, excellent service in the hotel and restaurants, views are more standard and location is a little less convenient, but on the Island in Wan Chai and near the Exhibition Centre. Hotel restaurant l'envol offers quality French service and food and has two Michellin stars. Near the newly opened (2022) Exhibition MTR station with walking under cover (one stop from Admiralty or Hung Hom), or walk from Wan Chai (approx 10 minutes).

Mid-range
JW Marriott Hotel Hong Kong - Ideally placed for tourism and likely business, built in an MTR complex with a luxury mall underneath. Small rooms with a good view of either the harbour or a hillside, but compensated with an excellent lounge and breakfast. Somewhere to spend time outside of the room. Not hugely changed since 1980 but a classic hotel with excellent on-site restaurants and a newly renovated/larger lounge than the version prior to COVID.
W Hong Kong - Quirky, next to the Ritz Carlton and with an outdoor pool. On-site restaurants are more limited but in a good location. A nice alternative to the Ritz if you want to explore Kowloon, or are under 30. Good weekend champagne brunch.
Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel - More of a convention centre hotel, but with nice uninterrupted harbour views and reasonable room sizes. A little far from public transport but with walkways to get you to Wan Chai or Exhibition Centre MTR stations fairly rapidly (mostly under air-con).
Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - Huge hotel that historically had a separate "Towers" side (now being removed) and one of the worst lounges in the Marriott network (now improved) with poor elite recognition, but relatively large rooms and close to public transport, museums, shopping in Kowloon and the star ferry. Has had an ongoing refurbishment from late 2022 that appears to be addressing historic quality problems, but this is underway as the wiki is updated. As of March 2023, the "lounge" is on the second floor opposite the reception desk. It's open noon to 6:30pm only, with cocktails/food from 4:30pm-6:30pm and guests are allowed in for only one hour (enforced). There is no lounge opportunity for evening dessert/coffee.
Le Meriden Cyberport - Large rooms, nice staff, in the middle of nowhere (by HK standards) and very consistent brand standard, including a lounge. You will need to get a taxi to any sight or location unless you are visiting the tech companies in the area. Refurbished and reopened in November 2022, and has a shuttle to the Airport Express MTR/Central once an hour.
Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel - Next to the airport, far away from the city (on the MTR or Airport express via a shuttle bus) but excellent evening buffet and ideal to explore Lantau or visit friends (aircrew) in Tung Chung. You can't walk to the airport due to ongoing construction work, even if it looks like it is only a 5 minute walk, it isn't.
Hong Kong Ocean Park Marriott Hotel - Huge pool and ideal for children. Rebranded to a resort to limit elite benefits. Worthwhile for a long weekend away or when visiting Ocean Park. Close to the (less convenient) Ocean Park MTR for tourists. Good restaurants on-site, not much in the local area.
Sheraton Hong Kong Tung Chung Hotel - New hotel that opened in December 2020, more designed for shopping or being close to the airport (via taxi or hourly shuttle bus), good facilities and pool. Far away from the city centre in a residential area.

Boutique
The Mira Hong Kong, a Member of Design Hotels™ - Not so close to public transport (approx 10 minute walk from Tsim Sha Tsui MTR), limited elite recognition but good for the bars of Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) and Kowloon. A better place to head to after a day of shopping in Kowloon or a heavy night out in TST.
Mira Moon Hong Kong, a Member of Design Hotels™ - Close to the shopping of Causeway bay, good rabbit based romantic hotel with sizeable bathrooms and real baths but limited restaurant facilities in-house. Refurbished in July 2022.
The Park Lane Hong Kong, Autograph Collection - New, and not yet opened. In 2025 it is expected that we will get a new Autograph, a conversion from the current Park Lane Hotel, Pullman. The hotel has a great bar and view. Let's see what happens

Value
Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin - generally agreed to be the best value Marriott in town with an excellent executive lounge, great value rooms and good elite service. However far from town (45+ minutes on public transport) and designed for those who want to visit Sai Kung or relatives in the new territories.
Hong Kong Island Hotel | Courtyard Hong Kong - Reasonable location and good value business hotel that isn't that far from central or the MTR, but is ultimately not very distinctive. Offers a good breakfast for elites and a small executive lounge more focused on drinks than food.
Ovolo Southside, Hong Kong, a Member of Design Hotels™ - Excellent value and close to Ocean Park. Near the MTR and with a well respected local Mexican restaurant. Offers a 3 hour social hour (free flow with food) if you book direct, a hidden gem. At points has been fully vegetarian as well.
Four Points by Sheraton Hong Kong, Tung Chung - A combined building with the Sheraton Tung Chung, so very similar with some shared facilities but more basic rooms.

Typical responses from those who live in Hong Kong:
I want the best hotel money can buy: Ritz Carlton (views) or St Regis (service)
I want to save money: Ovolo Southside (qirky) or Courtyard Sha Tin (far away)
For business: JW Marriott (Hong Kong Island) and W Hotel (Kowloon)
Airport Stopover: The Sky City Marriott is in the airport complex (accessed via shuttle bus) but realistically you could head to the Ritz Carlton or W Hotel on the airport express in under 30 minutes. Alternatively the Sheraton Tung Chung, and cheaper Four Points may offer more reasonable rates and are only 10 minutes taxi to the airport in an area where a lot of Cathay staff live, or use the airport shuttle bus (link).
Theme parks: Disney is not close and arguably the Sky City Marriott or Sheraton Tung Chung/Four Points Tung Chung are closest, but would need a taxi. Staying at the W or Ritz Carlton may be preferable and using the MTR to get to the park (one change). For Ocean Park you have the Ocean Park Marriott (Resort) or Ovolo Southside within walking distance or the JW Marriott is only one MTR(metro) stop away and more central for other sights.
Staycation: Ritz Carton (on-site restaurants), St Regis (service, two good if pricey restaurants), Courtyard Sha Tin (bargain) or the Ocean Park Marriott (pool for children)
Space: Le Meriden Cyberport, but only because it's in the middle of nowhere (though this is subjective, as it's about 20 minutes in a taxi to central)...
Undiscovered gem: Maybe the Ovolo Southside but ultimately this is Hong Kong so you can't really expect a bargain, it's an efficient capitalist market after all!....

**Staying in China**
Note (pre-COVID) you could save serious (USD100s+) by staying in Shenzhen though this would involve crossing an international border and would only work for those who wanted to visit China and had a visa. With the border reopening this is an option, for example the St Regis Shenzhen is typically great value with free-flow executive lounge privileges on the 100+ floor or staying at the Four Points in Shenzhen is less than a round of drinks in Hong Kong and offers an unlimited dim-sum lunch for less than 20USD pp. Getting a visa isn't as easy as pre COVID though, and the China "visa on arrival" scheme can be over subscribed, leading to long queues. If you have a China Visa though this could still be an option, though it will take approximately 2 hours to get from the Shenzhen StR to the centre of Hong Kong (made up of approximately 20 minutes metro in Shenzhen, up to one hour of border/visa processing time, then 40 minutes on the MTR to Admiralty station)

**Quarantine FYI**
In December 2020 the Hong Kong government agreed a list of quarantine only hotels for what became part of the world's strictest quarantine regimes with at points any person entering HK needing to spend 3 weeks in a hotel. A number of Marriott hotels took part in this programme at varying points until hotel quarantine was removed in late 2022. The "new" Four Points in Tung Chung didn't open for normal guests until after the end of quarantine, and at time others were on/off the list, including the high end W, then the Ocean Park Marriott, Renaissance, Ovolo, Mira Moon and so on. Of the Marriott brands, only the JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton never took part.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hong Kong, 2014-present

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Happy
Hong Kong Park is very nice to visit and the Aviary is impressive - all free. It is 5 min walk from the JWM thru one of the exits of the Admiralty MTR. Hotel concierge can point the way.
I agree. Note that there's currently some construction going on, which blocks one of the entrances to the aviary (the one you'd come to next if you enter the park through the entrance nearest the hotel).
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
what is the majority opinion on which side to stay for the best views? Is it TST or the other side where the Renaissance and JW are? Budget wise it would be nice to stay around $300 USD.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
what is the majority opinion on which side to stay for the best views? Is it TST or the other side where the Renaissance and JW are? Budget wise it would be nice to stay around $300 USD.
TST certainly has the best views, but wouldn't you rather be in the action than look at it from across the harbor?
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
The best view would be from IC Hong Kong (I know it's not a Marriott), the Sheraton should have great view too.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I spent a week at the JWM last month, and as a PP I got upgraded to a corner room with a harbor view on the 25th floor. I thought, wow, great view!

Then, I spent most of the time away from the room, visiting HK and not enjoying the view from the room all that much.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by nacho
The best view would be from IC Hong Kong (I know it's not a Marriott), the Sheraton should have great view too.
I can see this is going to be a tough choice. I have never stayed at a IC, but I also have read good things about it in the Lux travel forum. I will have to look further into their rewards program and credit card. I have been pretty loyal to SPG. The JW and Ren look pretty nice. I have never been a fan of the W Brand. I know this is SPG/Marriott but i am considering the IC for the view. I will check out the Sheraton reviews too. Thanks for all the replies. I have a number of factors I am trying to juggle in a city I do not know a lot about.

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Dec 7, 2018 at 10:42 am
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I spent a week at the JWM last month, and as a PP I got upgraded to a corner room with a harbor view on the 25th floor. I thought, wow, great view!

Then, I spent most of the time away from the room, visiting HK and not enjoying the view from the room all that much.
FYI, all the rooms at the JWM are corners.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, MR Gold, HH Gold, GE
Does anyone have an email address for the JW ?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
FYI, all the rooms at the JWM are corners.
That is not true. By what you say, it means the hotel has only 4 rooms per floor as any shape can only have 4 corners if it is a square or a rectangle - which is how Marriott building shape is.

What the design is, each room has a False corner protrude out from the center line, making a tiny triangle space therefore making the quite small room looks larger - very little increase of the actual area but gives a nice illusion for the eyes.

If one is Plat or above, book the Double Double room which is 2 double beds and a Corner room larger than the regular room. Because JWM guarantee room type for elites, so you will be guaranteed a Real Corner Room not the phony you allude to.

When I asked about what was the difference between Superior or Deluxe other than the floor levels, someone posted the floor plan of a regular room and a double double corner room - IIRC the regular room is 330 sqft and the double double is 370 sqft or there about.

The links of floor plan are in this post written in 2017.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27875611-post402.html

Last edited by Happy; Dec 7, 2018 at 7:26 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I can see this is going to be a tough choice. I have never stayed at a IC, but I also have read good things about it in the Lux travel forum. I will have to look further into their rewards program and credit card. I have been pretty loyal to SPG. The JW and Ren look pretty nice. I have never been a fan of the W Brand. I know this is SPG/Marriott but i am considering the IC for the view. I will check out the Sheraton reviews too. Thanks for all the replies. I have a number of factors I am trying to juggle in a city I do not know a lot about.
You need to book the Harbour room at IC in order to get the view. IC loyalty program does not work the same as other chains. It has 2 loyalty programs - Ambassador and IHG.
IHG loyalty programs do NOT offer breakfast/lounge access on award stays even for the Ambassador program.

The regular program IHG, does not provide much benefit at all even if you are at the top tier of Spire.

That said, IC Hong Kong is quite generous towards lowly members even Platinum which you are given to Chase IHG credit card holders. They give a drink voucher per room per stay that can be used at the lobby lounge, which has floor to ceiling glass windows across the wall. They also send you a nice fruit plate with 4 fruits of the better varieties, not those green / red apples.
It has the more traditional, more elegant, guest treatment than JWM or Conrad.

That said, being a first visitor to Hong Kong and only have 4 days to spare, I doubt you would use your precious time staying in your room admire the view. You would be out and about exploring.
You can get the very similar view at the nearby promenade towards Star Ferry, as well as viewing platforms inside Harour City Mall.
Here is a link talking about the best places to view fireworks which are set off from the boats anchored at the TST harbour - you can use it as a guide for the "views" you are seeking.

https://www.sassyhongkong.com/whats-...iew-fireworks/
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Happy
That is not true. By what you say, it means the hotel has only 4 rooms per floor as any shape can only have 4 corners if it is a square or a rectangle - which is how Marriott building shape is.

What the design is, each room has a False corner protrude out from the center line, making a tiny triangle space therefore making the quite small room looks larger - very little increase of the actual area but gives a nice illusion for the eyes.

If one is Plat or above, book the Double Double room which is 2 double beds and a Corner room larger than the regular room. Because JWM guarantee room type for elites, so you will be guaranteed a Real Corner Room not the phony you allude to.

When I asked about what was the difference between Superior or Deluxe other than the floor levels, someone posted the floor plan of a regular room and a double double corner room - IIRC the regular room is 330 sqft and the double double is 370 sqft or there about.

The links of floor plan are in this post written in 2017.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27875611-post402.html
My definition of a corner room is windows on at least two sides (or two exterior walls,) with an internal hallway.

Your "real corner room" isn't any different, considering that there could be up to 8 of those "real corner rooms" per floor. I usually book a double at the JW as I like that bathroom arrangement better than the king room.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by moondog
TST certainly has the best views, but wouldn't you rather be in the action than look at it from across the harbor?
We have this discussion in the Hyatt forum all the time, and to me, this "action" argument makes no sense. Some people believe the GH has an amazing location, and TST is the pits. IMO, GH is not a good location unless you need to be right there, and visitors are much better off at HR TST.

Same for Starriott -- which of their HK Island locations are "in the action?" The Pacific Place/JW/Conrad development is dead at night, so you'll probably need to walk (pretty dreadful from there) or take transport anyway. Taking the MTR from TST station is not any more challenging than it is from Admiralty station, although I grant that it takes one extra stop and maybe transfer (gasp).

What other "in the action" hotels does Starriott have? The Courtyard has some "real" HK street scenes (and smells) during the day, and night spots nearby. The Mira Moon, which is barely a SPG hotel anyway (no meaningful benefits, excluded from BRG), is probably the only one I'd consider "in the action." (IHG does very well in this category, with CP and HIX Causeway Bay, Indigo, HIX Soho).

My advice for a visitor, especially one who's already inquired about the best views, would be to stay on the TST side. (On business, it makes sense to stay close to work/meetings, and perhaps in whatever prestigious hotels the client expects, and that probably means HK Island 9 times out of 10).

It's important to understand that the Sheraton is an older hotel with dreadfully low ceilings and uninspiring rooms. They have tons of Plats staying (I once counted 28 Plat welcome packets when I checked in), but will usually upgrade you to a harbor view room. This is one hotel where my profile specifies that I don't want suite upgrades -- the suites in the upgrade pool have a terrible layout and none or very little of the desirable view. If you do get the harbor view (as you likely will), it's nice, but much better from the IC, and I'd also put Hyatt Regency TST far ahead of the Sheraton.

Although TST would be my clear recommendation for the OP, there are caveats. Kowloon has plenty of "action," but in TST that involves lots of touts ("tailor/copywatch") who will harass you once you step outside. There are also large numbers of Mainland visitors -- this can be interesting if you go to the stores where they buy cosmetics and baby formula, and then watch them pack their suitcases on the sidewalk, but some people will find these crowds annoying (crowds are hard to avoid in HK no matter where you go). A final musing, not pertaining to the OP, who's willing to pay cash, I do find the Sheraton severely overpriced on points. Personally, I won't consider staying there unless it comes in below HKD1500, so 50k points is far too rich for my tastes.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: hahaha
So I need some hotel help...

We're stopping in HK as part of a mRTW trip. We arrive Dec 31 at around 17:00. After proceeding through immigration formalities and purchasing Octopus and SIM in the arrivals hall, we're looking at 18:30 at the earliest before we're eligible to hop on transit or shuttle, assuming no IRROPs.

With about 80-100K Bonvoy to spend as a Gold Elite member, which Marriott should we drop off our bags before heading to a viewpoint for New Year's? We're thinking somewhere near the harbourfront. I also hear that MTR is shut down leading up to the fireworks, so hotel location should be beneficial for (1) easy access from airport (2) easy access to fireworks

We depart Jan 2, so it would be two nights for the budgeted Bonvoy amount. If we extend to Jan 3 or 4 we'll probably just pay in cash elsewhere since the rates are a lot lower then!

I originally was being cheap with Bonvoy since there were other parts of the trip to budget (it's a six week trip after all). We tentatively have a booking for the Courtyard Sha Tin, but realized that it's pretty far out from HK.

I was thinking split the stays between the Courtyard HK and the Ovolo Southside to save on points and easy connectivity from HKG and to MTR via shuttle, but open to suggestions. Since it's technically a very long layover we wouldn't mind moving hotels.

I don't expect on getting a fireworks-worthy upgrade at my status level and on NYE, unfortunately, unless anyone has encouraging data points. I would be willing to spend more if any hotels had a rooftop bar though, that would be a pretty sweet thing to enjoy!

Thanks for your everybody's input!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:18 am

Weighing different options for Hong Kong during upcoming New Year's

Will be in Hong Kong from December 27 till January 3rd, traveling solo. I'm sitting on a Cat 1-4 7-night cert that I can either redeem for Le Meridien Cyberport or the Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin. Neither option is particularly appealing to me, but I'm not sure when else I'll be able to use this cert before it expires in June 2020.

Specific to Bonvoy, my other option is to throw down w/ points. I'm currently sitting on about 180k points plus a free night cert from one of my credit cards that would get me about 6 nights at the Mira Moon, for example.

The third option is to use cash or another hotel program. Would love some advice here. I'm pretty on the fence right now...
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by jomama341
Will be in Hong Kong from December 27 till January 3rd, traveling solo. I'm sitting on a Cat 1-4 7-night cert that I can either redeem for Le Meridien Cyberport or the Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin. Neither option is particularly appealing to me, but I'm not sure when else I'll be able to use this cert before it expires in June 2020.

Specific to Bonvoy, my other option is to throw down w/ points. I'm currently sitting on about 180k points plus a free night cert from one of my credit cards that would get me about 6 nights at the Mira Moon, for example.

The third option is to use cash or another hotel program. Would love some advice here. I'm pretty on the fence right now...
id say use the 7-night certificate at the Meridien. Courtyard Sha Tin is full of Mainland tour groups and isn’t it a cat 2?

Le Meridien treats elite members nicely. It may not be right on the subway line but it’s a nice hotel with decent food. Has shuttle to some other parts of HK I believe.

The thing with 7-night certificate is that it’s hardly ever used. Hard to spend 7 nights at one place so if you get a chance to use it, use it.

As for sightseeing around HK, once you get into proper central HK, you are likely to spend a whole day out until you are ready to retire for the night— so a somewhat remote location for hotel for a single pax isn’t that bad.
rny321 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.