Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Anyone seen or heard anything about the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection, which is a new hotel 7 miles from this hotel? It's starting to pop up on my searches for Marriott hotels near the Kona airport during my timeframe in March 2015. I'd LOVE to use my points here ($425 nightly rate OR 35,000 points), but it looks like their room occupancy is only 2 (even though they have rooms with two double beds), and I can't find ANY info on this hotel online. I am tempted to book it anyway just to hold the space, because it's almost sold out. Can anyone confirm? I'd need to buy some points before the end of the year so I need to confirm before Dec. 31st. Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:47 pm

Looks like it was a Prince resort.

http://www.princeresortshawaii.com/m...otel/index.php
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I figured it might be that Prince hotel. That's a NICE beach!

It appears as though room occupancy is for 3 (and by looking at the Prince website, they were specific in outlining 3 adults or 2 adults and 1 child) - and we have 2 adults, 2 kids. Too bad - this would be a great place to spend points!

Last edited by pokee; Dec 22, 2014 at 5:40 pm
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by pokee
It appears as though room occupancy is for 3 (and by looking at the Prince website, they were specific in outlining 3 adults or 2 adults and 1 child) - and we have 2 adults, 2 kids. Too bad - this would be a great place to spend points!
Call the hotel. There's no reason for why an American hotel should not allow two children and their parents in a room with two double beds.

On top of that, the hotel offers: "Stay for Breakfast rate, includes breakfast for 2 adults and children 12 and under" (not just one child).
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Stayed there once --- it's a nice facility. Go for it.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:58 am

The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel seems to have appeared quietly on Marriott.com as a future Autograph Collection property -- without any press release so far. I have to believe that there will be publicity boasting of this major coup when the time is right. After all, this is a significant boost to the Autograph Collection brand because the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is a renowned property.

For example, here's a snippet from a recent article, Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Receives Spot on Gold List:
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel has been named as one of 100 favorite hotels in the world by the Condé Nast Traveler’s 2015 Gold List, which is comprised of the magazine editors’ favorite hotels in the world.

The resort, who will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2015, is one of only three Hawai’i hotels that was named on the list and is the only Big Island hotel represented.
The hotel has website about its 50th anniversary: Timeless Mauna Kea | 50th Anniversary

As a Category 7 property, this should be very popular with Marriott Rewards members. I'm already wondering if we should change our 2015 vacation plans.

This will be the second Prince Hotel to join the Autograph Collection. The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo is already the The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo, Autograph Collection. I wonder if more Price properties will follow?

I am thrilled to see the Autograph Collection expanding with top properties like this.

Last edited by Horace; Dec 23, 2014 at 9:18 am
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horace
Call the hotel. There's no reason for why an American hotel should not allow two children and their parents in a room with two double beds.

On top of that, the hotel offers: "Stay for Breakfast rate, includes breakfast for 2 adults and children 12 and under" (not just one child).
True - but a lot of times max occupancy has to do with fire regulations, especially in older buildings like this. The room size is about 600 sq feet, and that's rather large, so it cannot be size. The Prince resort is very specific about the max room occupancy on their reservations page. The weird thing is I see reviews where couples say they stayed with their 'kids' (plural) so I maybe they have rooms that have a larger occupancy limit?

Whatever the case, I am still not sure I want to stay here with my family. The Waikoloa beach resort still seems to be better suited to our family (it's established, has more pools, and convenience to shops).

It still seems like fabulous place to spend points. I may roll the dice and book a night or two just to see it!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
That's great news, it's an absolutely excellent property and the location is also excellent. As said upthread, a perfect beach and also great golf for those who play.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:08 pm

True - but a lot of times max occupancy has to do with fire regulations, especially in older buildings like this. The room size is about 600 sq feet, and that's rather large, so it cannot be size. The Prince resort is very specific about the max room occupancy on their reservations page. The weird thing is I see reviews where couples say they stayed with their 'kids' (plural) so I maybe they have rooms that have a larger occupancy limit?
That's why I would recommend phoning the resort to ask. It's odd that a hotel with a children's club and room-and-breakfast rates catering to families would not allow two parents and two children in a large room with two double beds.

Whatever the case, I am still not sure I want to stay here with my family. The Waikoloa beach resort still seems to be better suited to our family (it's established, has more pools, and convenience to shops).

It still seems like fabulous place to spend points. I may roll the dice and book a night or two just to see it!
The Mauna Lani was built in 1965 by Laurance Rockefeller on the best beach on the Big Island to be one of the world's best resorts. The Marriott Waikoloa Beach Resort was built in 1981 as a mid-price Outrigger hotel. The Mauna Kea is 49 years old; the Waikoloa Beach is 33 years old. Of course, both have been renovated (with significant expansion at the Mauna Kea over the years).

Of course, the resorts' histories don't mean that one is now better or worse than the other as a family resort.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I certainly wouldn't say it is not "established"
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:23 am

Here's a letter about joining the Autograph Collection from Phyllis Branco, Hotel Manager, in the Mauna Kea Resort's E-Newsletter:
However, there is still not a press release about it at the Marriott News Center.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Horace
Here's a letter about joining the Autograph Collection from Phyllis Branco, Hotel Manager, in the Mauna Kea Resort's E-Newsletter:
However, there is still not a press release about it at the Marriott News Center.
My guess is it will appear in the Marriott News Center on January 14, 2015, when it officially joins Autograph Collection.

Cheers.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:49 pm

I have stayed at the MK many, many times (>20) over the past few decades (in fact, I may be staying here right now ). This was news to me. Wow.

My family has been coming here, on an almost annual basis or even more frequently in some years, since the 1970s. It is a very special place, steeped in tradition. There are many extended, multi-generational families who return yearly (usually around Xmas) and many staff who have been here for decades too (and know their guests very well!). There is also a housing development (development isn't the right word, but you catch my drift) built around the Mk where there are million-dollar homes dating back to this period as well.

The Rockefellers built the MK back in 1965, when Laurence was also building Little Dix Bay. It is classic mid-centry modern. It won many AIA awards when it was built and even was named to AIA's top 150 buildings of the 20th century list. There was (/is) a beautiful collection of Asian art held here as well - Laurence installed his ~1000+ pieces of Asian and Buddhist art (sculptures, statues, etc - known as "the Rockefeller Collection") around the hotel and its grounds and much of it remains. To get a taste, check out: http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Mauna-.../dp/0866381228

As a child, this 7th century Buddhist statue at the top of the stairs was my favorite: http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP...ii_Hawaii.html

The hotel has changed hands several times over the years and gone through some rough periods. It closed in 1994 for renovation (it had never been seriously renovated prior to that, so the rooms were very much like their 1965 state) and Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel (next door) was opened as an alternative during this time period. The hotel also suffered during the 2006 earthquake and closed for 2 years to restore what was a near collapse of the beach-front wing.

This is what I will say about the MK (and apologies if this sounds stuffy or snobbish or something): This was a place that, until the late 1990s, didn't have televisions in the rooms and had restaurants where suit-and-tie were required and children were not allowed (anyone remember the Batik Room?). There is/was (?) an old-fashioned elegance/sensibility about the place. It has changed a lot over the past decade +, and is a lot more "family friendly" (etc), but fundamentally this has never been (and, from my perspective, hopefully will never be) akin to the Waikaloa's of the world. I hope Marriott affiliation doesn't change that.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I was just wondering about this hotel when looking for big island options September 2015. Sounds like a place to consider.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Interesting. I have a 6 night stay coming up in two weeks which will put the changeover in the middle of my stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.