Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AC Hotel Irla, Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.

Stayed at the AC Hotel Irla in Barcelona for the Formula One race weekend. Here's my trip report, with a few pictures. Apologies for the blurriness of the pictures. After a day at the track drinking €11 beers, either my hand was unsteady or my eyesight was blurry (or both).

AC Hotel Irla is located north-west of the central part of Barcelona, about a 25 minute walk from either Sants or Passeig de Grŕcia train stations (both of which are on the R2 line from the airport). The walk is easy enough along wide streets and all flat. Muntaner station is closer, but looks like a few transfers to get there.

Hotel is located on a relatively quiet street just a few blocks up from a large traffic circle on a main road Av. Diagonal. It's not a very tourist area, and is some distance from most of the tourist attractions. For a tourist trip to Barcelona, not the most convenient location.

Hotel looks quite new and modern. Black granite exterior with big windows and lots of polished wood in the lobby. Lobby is nice, long and narrow with a small desk for check-in / check-out. There is a small shop area with drinks and snacks across from the desk.

Check-in process was fast. Recognised as a Marriott Rewards member (I'm just a lowly Silver, so no benefits given). I got in quite late (12:30 AM), so the first night had already been charged to my credit card. They offered to either take it off and charge the whole amount at the end, or knock it off the final bill. I looked, made sure they had charged in Euros and not GBP (they had charged in Euros), so told them to leave it. Hopefully doesn't mess up the transfer to MR off my Marriott Rewards credit card.

Hotel is 6 floors (including the ground floor). Restaurant on the 1st floor. Rooms on floors 2 through 5. I was on the third floor.

Room was good - modern looking and a decent size for a European room. Good storage space with two closets for hanging and a three-drawer chest of drawers with good, deep drawers. The drawers are located beside the mini-bar fridge with a padded top.

There is a small desk for working. The desk is quite small, so if you wanted to do significant work, it might be difficult. There is a chair in the corner. Bed was large (King) and comfortable.

TV on the wall. There were four English channels - BBC World, CNN International, Russia Today and CNBC.

Bathroom modern and spacious. Towels are branded with big AC. Sink is see-through, and the soap is shaped like a golf-ball. The shower was big and good, hot water and strong flow. The only problem was that the water tends to leak out under the shower door, which means the bath mat is half-soaked when you get out of the shower. There is no tub.

Internet was Wifi was €12 for 24 hours.

I had a breakfast included rate. Breakfast is continental buffet, with meats, cheese, boiled eggs, cereals and breads. Juices and water available. Restaurant is on 1st floor.

Overall, a nice hotel, and would recommend if you are in the area for a specific purpose. If you are visiting to tour Barcelona, it is not very centrally located, so you'll need a decent amount of time to travel via foot or transit to the tourist areas.

Website: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ac-hotel-irla/

Map: AC Hotel Irla, Calvet, 40-42 Barcelona Barcelona 08021 Spain
Old May 17, 2014, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report w/ pictures. Much appreciated! My hand would have been shaking from having to pay €11 for a beer

Cheers.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any recent reviews? I assume wifi is free for Platinums. Is there still CNBC?? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, World of Hyatt Discoverist, Ultimate Rewards, AMEX
I stayed here five nights in February and just one piece of advice don't do it! First, the hotel is located pretty far from all of the tourist sites, the customer service was horrible, the rooms have no air conditioning, the beds were so uncomfortable that we barely slept, and food we ordered from room service was overpriced and nearly inedible. This hotel is in need of a major renovation and a significant improvement in service. Also, I was incredibly disappointed in Marriott's customer service when we complained they forwarded us to the hotel and the hotel just followed up with excuses.

I have included some pictures below and you can see my full review here.

TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I keep looking at this property due to it's quite low rates... but then I find reviews like this one and don't choose it. Google reviews show very thin walls too. Ah well, the search for a reasonably priced Marriott property in Barcelona continues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.