Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Ginza Courtyard, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Marriott Forum Threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1577397-courtyard-tokyo-station-japan.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1577399-tokyo-ginza-courtyard-japan.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/136870-marriott-family-hotels-tokyo-japan.html
Print Wikipost

Tokyo Ginza Courtyard, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I stayed at the Tokyo Ginza two weeks ago and it's a great property. Nice, modern rooms, excellent Elite recognition (Upgrade & Free excellent breakfast for even Golds, which we're not mandated to get at Courtyards)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ard-japan.html

I also received two (!) personalized letters, one with a daily drink chit for the bar for the duration of my stay at check-in and one with a small teaset sampler waiting for me in my room.

The location is also great, only about a 2-5min walk from the Metro station with a direct line to both HND and NRT.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:57 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by jib71
Courtyard Tokyo Station is a couple of blocks from Tokyo Station (Yaesu Entrance), which is where you'll take the train to Kyoto. You can also get buses to and from NRT at the Yaesu side of Tokyo station. In the heat and humidity of August, however, that two block walk can seem like torture (especially with luggage). You might prefer to take a cab than to put your wife and child through that experience.
This. When I stayed at the CY Tokyo Station last June, I walked to/from Tokyo Station a few times and it wasn't that bad, especially when I found the underground route. Still, it's a long walk from the train platforms, plus the N'EX train is really deep under the station. When it came time for me to head back to NRT, it was raining hard and I didn't feel like trudging with my luggage, so I hailed a cab to the station. So, the CY Ginza gets the nod here for me,

Originally Posted by jib71
The Tokyo Station property is much more modern than the Courtyard. I haven't looked at Tripadvisor reviews, but I would expect them to be positive for that reason...
The CY Tokyo Station is a newer property on the lower floors of an office tower. I liked it, but it's certainly more of a business hotel than a leisure one. The views out of the windows will be of the street or the office buildings next door. The CY Ginza is an older property that has been re-branded several times but is more of a traditional, purpose-built hotel. You might actually see a little of the Tokyo skyline from a room on a higher floor.

Originally Posted by Raven_FL
[t]he bus from Narita stops at this hotel.
Looks like the Limo Bus also has service to/from HND in addition to NRT. The ease of getting to/from NRT and HND via the Airport Limo bus is a big plus, IMO (especially with luggage and family in tow. In this case, CY Ginza is better than the CY Tokyo Station.

For the Shinkansen, the CY Ginza isn't really walkable to Tokyo Station, so that's a minus.

Originally Posted by Raven_FL
There are several threads on Marriott properties in Japan to review on FT.
Links to Marriott Forum threads have been added in a Wikipost.

No clear winner for me; for a family vacation, I might lean toward the CY Ginza for a slightly more traditional leisure hotel experience and superior airport transfer options. I encourage the OP to review the Marriott Forum links to get additional perspectives/opinions.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
No clear winner for me; for a family vacation, I might lean toward the CY Ginza for a slightly more traditional leisure hotel experience and superior airport transfer options. I encourage the OP to review the Marriott Forum links to get additional perspectives/opinions.
Thanks for the input! I've been looking at the Marriott forum as well but I haven't seen a good comparison of the two. I like planning everything well ahead of time so will definitely keep checking.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The weather is gorgeous now so walking is easier if you want to get out for things from either location.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:42 pm

I stayed in the Courtyard Ginza over 5 years ago. I chose it because Ginza is near so many subway lines, and there were lots of things to see within walking distance, including Tsukiji Market. Staying next to Tokyo Station has its own advantages, so I don't think you could go wrong staying at the Tokyo o Station property.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA: 1k, Marriott / Bonvoy: Platinum
I just stayed at the courtyard Tokyo Station. It was nice enough, and the comp'd happy hour and breakfast buffet for gold and plat were bother filling enough to be two meals each.

Rooms are tiny by US standards though :/
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Take the room size into account as you will be 3 in that room (probably with a lot of luggage).
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
As long as their are consistent in their release of bookings, does it really matter if it is 6 months, 9 months or a year?
I got really lucky! Im doing a 4 night weekend trip to Tokyo. 1 night CY Ginza, 1 night Hyatt Regency , 2 nights Richmond by Skytree

Richmond had grand opening special of $90 US per night. Reviews are amazing and hotel is in a great spot for transport.

Hyatt- 12,000 points seems like a good deal!

Ginza CY! Found it on Orbitz for $164! Marriott was $311. It was not even advance purchase. Booked on Orbitz just in case they gave me a problem and booked on Marriott, did an LNF and it succeeded!! Im staying there for $116 US plus tax! $147 (TONS of tax)

I will report back if they do anything for Plat. Prem.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by aero0729
I got really lucky! Im doing a 4 night weekend trip to Tokyo. 1 night CY Ginza, 1 night Hyatt Regency , 2 nights Richmond by Skytree

Richmond had grand opening special of $90 US per night. Reviews are amazing and hotel is in a great spot for transport.

Hyatt- 12,000 points seems like a good deal!

Ginza CY! Found it on Orbitz for $164! Marriott was $311. It was not even advance purchase. Booked on Orbitz just in case they gave me a problem and booked on Marriott, did an LNF and it succeeded!! Im staying there for $116 US plus tax! $147 (TONS of tax)

I will report back if they do anything for Plat. Prem.
The tax amount seems odd. There should be 8%,sales tax, a 200 yen per night city tax, and then any service charge the property adds. That gives about a 16% service charge. That seems on the high side. You should look at the breakdown of your tax amount.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:03 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Moving this to the Marriott forum as this is more relevant there.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I've stayed at the Ginza Courtyard several times and my usual restaurant is Sake No Ana, about 10 minutes walk away. Its an Izakaya restaurant, but last week I was craving Yakitori. My coworkers (local Japanese) and I ate at Ginzatoriyakou, less than 2 minutes walk from the hotel.

Its exactly 2 small streets behind the hotel directly across from Family Mart. During the day there isn't even a sign, but during opening hours they put this out:

I didn't pay the bill, so I don't know how much it cost, but this is Ginza so it wasn't cheap.
The food and drink were excellent and you can crawl back to your room if necessary.

Ginko nuts:

This tasted like potato salad...not my favorite:

My favorite dish:

This was a bowl of horseradish:

My favorite sake of the night...I sampled many! Oni Yanma - A dry sake from Niigata prefecture. The name means something like Demon Dragonfly.

Last edited by CO-PLAT; Nov 3, 2018 at 5:05 pm
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:56 am

Anyone know of a laundry service nearby?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Troopers
Anyone know of a laundry service nearby?
Not nearby, but I've used the hotel's same day service and no complaints with it.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
We had a one night stay here with 3 adults and one child in March on a weekend. It was a short term decision and I booked the rooms just in the morning of the day of arrival.

I compared prices at marriott.com and at www.tobuhotel.co.jp/ginza/, and found the prices at the tobuhotel page to be cheaper. After calling the hotel they told me that all rates at tobuhotel.co.jp are eligible for Rewards points and status perks. Unfortunately the page is Japanese only. Clicking the “English” link directs you to marriott.com.

While marriott.com doesn’t let you book a room for 3 persons, this is well possible at www.tobuhotel.co.jp. You’ll get shown rates for tripple rooms (twin with extra bed). As children younger than 12 can sleep for free with the parents in the same bedding, it is even possible to get one tripple room for a party of up to 3 adults and one child.

I finally booked 2 rooms as booking one single and one semi double came cheaper then booking one tripple. After arrival we were finally upgraded to one semi double and one twin.

Additionally, the hotel extended the Platinum benefits to all 4 of us on the grounds that we were one family. Very generous. The rooms were compact but clean and well appointed, and we all enjoyed our evening drinks and free breakfast.

I was a little bit sceptical if the Rewards points would really post, but they were already posted to my account the next day.

The hotel is a very good choice for families, ... in case one can navigate the Japanese tobuhotel.co.jp page.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update & tip.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.