Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-recovery-2624
Print Wikipost

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ScottishBloke
I am pretty new to PPE and didn’t even think of it. The hotel went out of their way to do so many other things for us, reading the post surprised me. I’d have thought they’d have mentioned the benefit. I’ll be better informed in future.... otherwise I can’t say enough good things about the hotel - we felt like we were on an ‘early’ Honeymoon - we certainly fell in love with Japan and especially Kyoto.
As to mean you didn't get breakfast included? That's too bad! We are Plat and definitely had breakfast included in November unprompted. But yes - it is a LOVELY hotel, and the staff for the most part is truly amazing! Glad you had a nice time.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:46 pm

Does this hotel allow kids to stay free ? we have 2 kids, 5yrs and 10yrs. I am platinum elite member ...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:22 am

Breakfast

Seeing recent DPs that they give free breakfast to Plats (not PPE). I see this as a huge perk and worthy of one of my Ritz card certificates, but can anyone confirm this is still the case and is formal policy, and not just a fluke some people got?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:47 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Just booked another 5 night stay at this property using points.
It was either this or trying the StR Maldives. The prospect of a return visit here won out.

I can't wait.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:04 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Jermyn
It was either this or trying the StR Maldives. The prospect of a return visit here won out.

I can't wait.
I might recommend trying Suiran, too, if you’ve never stayed there. For us, it’s even better than the amazing RC Kyoto. But there’s no question that both properties are among our all-time favorites in the Marriott portfolio.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:59 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass

I can't wait.
Wow that is a big endorsement! I was debating between the two as well (Went to StR Maldives last year), and decided to try RC Kyoto, heading there next week! Will try to give an update on breakfast, hoping they still provide it to plats
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:44 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I might recommend trying Suiran, too, if you’ve never stayed there. For us, it’s even better than the amazing RC Kyoto. But there’s no question that both properties are among our all-time favorites in the Marriott portfolio.
Your endorsement of Suiran has not gone unnoticed!
We may still sneak in a quick night there, in addition to the 5 at the RC.
For us the proximity to the subway, walking distance to a number of bars and restaurants (including Cave de K next door), the room hardware and the Pierre Herme croissants are idiosyncratic factors which make us love the RC. As you rightly pointed out, both are very well regarded hotels and personal preference will be the deciding factor for most people.

Originally Posted by leemaj
Wow that is a big endorsement! I was debating between the two as well (Went to StR Maldives last year), and decided to try RC Kyoto, heading there next week! Will try to give an update on breakfast, hoping they still provide it to plats
I just emailed the hotel and have been told that as a Platinum I'll get free breakfast during my stay. Definitely a fantastic benefit, although something of a double edged sword. The lack of a meaningful breakfast was the reason why we were able to hit so many kaiseki restaurants during our last trip, without bursting at the seams
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Your endorsement of Suiran has not gone unnoticed!
We may still sneak in a quick night there, in addition to the 5 at the RC.
For us the proximity to the subway, walking distance to a number of bars and restaurants (including Cave de K next door), the room hardware and the Pierre Herme croissants are idiosyncratic factors which make us love the RC. As you rightly pointed out, both are very well regarded hotels and personal preference will be the deciding factor for most people.

I just emailed the hotel and have been told that as a Platinum I'll get free breakfast during my stay. Definitely a fantastic benefit, although something of a double edged sword. The lack of a meaningful breakfast was the reason why we were able to hit so many kaiseki restaurants during our last trip, without bursting at the seams
The key is to just eat delicious croissants for breakfast and walk everywhere to gain back a voracious appetite!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Aventine
The key is to just eat delicious croissants for breakfast and walk everywhere to gain back a voracious appetite!
Precisely our tactic last time!

As a gentleman who is otherwise rather militant in his carb phobia, I was delighted to eat nothing but a single ispahan croissant every morning - another glowing endorsement
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:09 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
We will be staying at the RC Kyoto this weekend through the middle of next week. We are considering a day trip to Miyama-cho to hopefully see some snow and of course see the village even if there is no snow. The forecast looks to remain sub-zero until Sunday so ideally Saturday. The hotel sent us a list of prices to rent a car with a driver.

1) Does anyone know if the 'hotel car' option is eligible for points earning?
2) Has anyone opted for the English-speaking driver? Did you find that especially useful?
3) Any leads on cheaper options for renting a car with a driver? The price range for a 6 hour rental is JPY 36K-49K or so. It will take about 2 hours to get to Miyama-cho, then I guess 2 hours to wander around, and 2 hours to get back. Also wondering if 2 hours may be too little in Miyama-cho.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:31 am

I have a reservation using points for 60000points per night in May, but I didn't deduct my points for this reservation, as I am not quite sue about my trip now. If I don't deduct the points for the reservation before RCKyoto changes to Category 8, I am wondering if it will change to 80000 points per night for the reservation? as I can see it states that " (Marriott) automatically take care of this for you 15 days prior to your arrival".... Any suggestions?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
We will be staying at the RC Kyoto this weekend through the middle of next week. We are considering a day trip to Miyama-cho to hopefully see some snow and of course see the village even if there is no snow. The forecast looks to remain sub-zero until Sunday so ideally Saturday. The hotel sent us a list of prices to rent a car with a driver.

1) Does anyone know if the 'hotel car' option is eligible for points earning?
2) Has anyone opted for the English-speaking driver? Did you find that especially useful?
3) Any leads on cheaper options for renting a car with a driver? The price range for a 6 hour rental is JPY 36K-49K or so. It will take about 2 hours to get to Miyama-cho, then I guess 2 hours to wander around, and 2 hours to get back. Also wondering if 2 hours may be too little in Miyama-cho.
We usually get a car service with the driver (Eng speaking as well) in Osaka or Kyoto for 10h at 50000yen per day. But you are going further in distance so it might cost more.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by rebyang
I have a reservation using points for 60000points per night in May, but I didn't deduct my points for this reservation, as I am not quite sue about my trip now. If I don't deduct the points for the reservation before RCKyoto changes to Category 8, I am wondering if it will change to 80000 points per night for the reservation? as I can see it states that " (Marriott) automatically take care of this for you 15 days prior to your arrival".... Any suggestions?
Check your email confirmation and/or online confirmation, you might have a "points advance" reservation and need to go back and apply points to the reservation. If you don't have a points advance reservation, but you do have a valid reservation and no points deducted you might want to call the Marriott Rewards desk and have them fix the reservation for you.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:15 am
Suspended

Was just able to snag 2 nights in early April on points, I'm thrilled. Sad to see my 120k MR points go but I'm sure it will be a worthwhile experience.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:47 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Ginjo Ramen Kubota

That's the best Ramen I've ever had in my life. I'm not exaggerating.
We are staying at the property now. Odd roo
at the end of the property looking into the next building.

Anyway we made Ginjo our first meal and I now get why people like Ramen!
kapooncha likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.