Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Mumbai

Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold/UA*G/HH Gold/Marriott Plt/SPG Gold/
Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Mumbai

Hi,

I am making a short hop to India for 5 days and have decided to spend the whole time in Mumbai. I have some Marriott points to burn and it looks like Plats get good treatment at the hotels here.

Never being to Mumbai before, it looks from the map that all the Marriott properties are quite far from the tourist sites of the central city. The JW looks the closest, but the Ren near the airport looks not much further away? A 5 night stay at the JW runs 100k on pointsavers and the Ren is 60k. Just wondering if anyone has experience with either of these properties and the commute to the city? Is there much to do near either hotel? Would it be better to go with another chain with properties nearer the city? Is the JW worth an extra 40k points for the 5 night stay.

Would be most appreciate from any advice!

Thank you!
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Can't offer you too much insight, other than a stay I had at the JW about 4 years ago.

I thought the hotel was quite impressive...really really stunning. I got a nice room upgrade. Food at the hotel was expensive for India, but high quality. Traffic is terrible, but such is life in Mumbai.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
About three years ago, I stayed at the JW and had meetings at the REN. REN was nice but the JW was great. Service was stellar the Concierge lounge was relaxing, the room was standard but overall the property gets high marks. We are heading back next month and hope it still has the same high levels of service.

Also can affirm that the traffic is terrible, just be prepared for the delays.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold/UA*G/HH Gold/Marriott Plt/SPG Gold/
Thanks for the tips!

I booked the JW last night (always cancellable) and got it on pointsavers for 100,000 points. Woke up today and it's off pointsavers and is now 120,000 points so looked like I pulled the trigger just in time.

It sounds like a great property but traffic looks to be the biggest obstacle. Was it obscenely expensive taxiing to anywhere in town (ie. india gate)? If it takes a long time I am fine with that, just dont want to blow all my savings I made by using points on taxis

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
When I took a taxi from the JW to the India Gate in 2009, it took about 45 minutes using the Sea Link and cost (IIRC) 600 Rs. To be fair, that was on a Sunday. Taxis are cheap in Mumbai, but I strongly recommend getting them through the hotel, as they'll get you fair ones. (Read this thread for what can happen.)
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
When I took a taxi from the JW to the India Gate in 2009, it took about 45 minutes using the Sea Link and cost (IIRC) 600 Rs. To be fair, that was on a Sunday. Taxis are cheap in Mumbai, but I strongly recommend getting them through the hotel, as they'll get you fair ones. (Read this thread for what can happen.)
I would second using the hotel for transportation Am sure there are other good companies but it's just less hassle using the hotel.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: LT NoN REV
1) which property is more convenient for metro for restaurant / shopping mall?
2) about how far is the walking distance?

Thank you!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I just updated the exec lounge sticky for India today. Took me 3 hours. Added SPG properties as well as updating MAR properties. Added a # of properties in Mumbai.

Cheers.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Mumbai hotel recommendation

I have a 4-night stay coming up in Mumbai, arriving at some ungodly hour.
I have a 9AM meeting midweek, just south of the airport, which will last approximately half a day.

Other than that, I am free, with a 6PM flight the day of departure.
I've looked at some of the threads, and was looking at the two JW hotels near the airport, as well as an ITC hotel. This will be my first time in Mumbai, so if anyone has any thoughts or recommendations, I'd appreciate it.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I would pick the St Regis. You will run into traffic getting to/from your meeting, but other than that it's the better Marriott option in Mumbai on terms of location, not to mention the actual property. The attached shopping mall is an important extra convenience. The area around the airport is drab, traffic-choked and with nothing interesting around...

Last edited by RafKa; Feb 17, 2019 at 4:46 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:57 pm

I stayed at the JW by the airport. It was a beautiful hotel. Great service, lovely rooms, great concierge lounge, and a good selection of restaurants.

I used Uber while there. Very easy to get around and cheap. Though with traffic, it takes awhile to get to the causeway and other tourist areas. I will also mention, you can't really walk from the hotel.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:03 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RafKa
I would pick the St Regis. You will run into traffic getting to/from your meeting, but other than that it's the better Marriott option in Mumbai on terms of location, not to mention the actual property. The attached skipping mall is an important extra convenience. The area around the airport is drab, traffic-choked and with nothing interesting around...
Agree as well, stayed there for a 5 night redemption last year, and was given a large suite. Great hotel, amazing buffet breakfast for elites, and friendly staff.

As you mentioned, the attached mall has everything you need, and it's about a 10 minute walk to the train station.

Nice pool as well, although the sun ends up getting blocked in the early afternoon.
RafKa likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I booked the St Regis... It looks like one of the rooms I can book is "partial sea view", and another one is "city view". I know that due to upgrades, etc, things may change, but is there a preference between the two?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:52 pm

Mumbai: St Regis or ITC Grand Central

Hoping for some advice as Im struggling to decide between a 9 night leisure stay at The St Regis or the ITC Grand Central in Mumbai this April. Particularly since room rates and location are broadly similar.

Looking for whichever is a nicer environment to enjoy a holiday. Also interested in which better recognises Bonvoy status (I have Titanium).

The ITC has the surprising accolade of being rated as the number 1 hotel in Mumbai on t/advisor, though Im skeptical about that since its allegedly better than even the Oberoi in the t/advisor rankings.

St Regis quite a lot lower down the rankings at 40-something.

Ill be really grateful for any opinions or advice.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
I'd pick the St Regis over the ITC Grand Central.

Location of the St Regis is much better. It's part of Phoenix Mall which has a movie theatre, lots of shops and restaurants. It is also a 15 minute drive from the Sea link. There are close to a 100 restaurants within 1 Km of the St Regis. There isn't much around the ITC other than discount shops. I also prefer the St Regis restaurants to those in the ITC.

What do you plan to do while you are in Mumbai? If you can split your stay, consider spending a few days at the JW Marriott Juhu. Traffic in Mumbai is really bad with a road/metro construction going on everywhere so if you have a specific itinerary in mind try staying at a hotel that will minimize your drive time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.