Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Vienna (Schonbrunn), Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
A Sept 12th 2014 report; hat tip to PaulMCO:

Renovation is in progress -- outside is a mess. They have closed 1/2 of the 5th and 6th floors. Hotel will close after New year for 3+ months when they will complete the renovation including the lobby. Bar will be removed and moved to the center of a redesigned restaurant. What to do with the bar space is undecided. One possibility will be an Exec lounge for elites.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

Just completed two nights at this property using promotional awards from last year. Even though the my room is probably due for a remodel, I did enjoy my stay and would readily return. Staff were great across the board, including one front desk clerk who reminded me to put on a scarf one morning as I headed out into cold Vienna (most days the high was 28F/-2C and there was some snow).

The hotel is right across the intersection from the Meidling station on the U4 line. That provides access in just 5 stops/10-12 minutes to Karlsplatz which is an easy walk to the Sacher Hotel, Opera House, or the start of the pedestrian mall that eventually takes you up to St. Stephens Cathedral and the Museum Quarter (you can also connect to a different Metro line at Karsplatz to access both of those if you don't want to walk). Connecting lines are well marked. Don't think I ever waited more than 5-7 minutes for a train.

Additionally, in two additional stations on the U4 you're at the Landstrasse stop which gives you access to the S7 line to the airport (25 mins, runs every half hour). The station is also referred to as Wien Mitte. There is a dedicated airport train that will save you 10 mins, but I did not find that a good value. I purchased a one way ticket into the city when I arrived (4.20 euros), then a 72 hour city transit pass the next day (something over 15 euros), and then added on an extra zone (2.10 euros) for the trip to the airport to cover when I reached the edge of the city limits on my 72 hour pass (the pass does not cover the zone the airport is in). I had two nights prior to this stay at a non-Marriott property with four total nights in Vienna.

In the opposite direction there are U4 train stations near the zoo and Schonbrunn Palace. I walked to the Palace (15-20 mins) and came back by train and that worked fine.

view from the hill behind the Palace:

My 6th floor room had a CRT TV and power outlets that were not convenient. One was along the floorboard under the desk, and another on a wall to the left of the bed. Nothing readily accessible from the desk or the nightstand. I did not need power to run anything in real time and just used those outlets to recharge so they worked for me.

The room does not have key-card light controls so you have to turn each light on and off individually. There is also not a digital temperature display.

As a Gold member I was given access to a pretty good breakfast buffet in an enormous breakfast room across from the check-in counters. There was a section with juices and bottled water on one side, and then on the other side a selection of cold items (meats, cheeses, fruit) and hot items (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, tomatoes) as well as an area with bread, rolls and pastries. There is an omelette station near the juice kiosk, though that only seemed to be running my second day and I did make use of it. I saw eggs out the first day and if I asked probably could have got someone to make me an omelette, just it was unstaffed when I came in and it was a very slow period. Coffee/tea was provided by staff.

I was given a coupon for a complimentary glass of wine in the bar and made use of that. Also had a chance to use the sauna and steamroom on the 7th floor (these can probably ideally hold 2-4 people - don't confuse them for something larger you might have at the gym). There is a locker room and the attendant will provide you with a locker key and point you to the towels.

Also had wi-fi that seemed to meet my needs just fine, including uploading a bunch of photos, without any issues. You do accept the charges when initially registering and they drop from your bill as a Gold.

Should add there is a supermarket and Bank of Austria on the street behind the train station on the other side of the tracks.

More hotel photos HERE and city photos HERE.

Last edited by tom911; Feb 2, 2014 at 12:19 pm
Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report! And the pics of Vienna are great!

Cheers.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Thanks for the review! Marriott should be embarrassed that in 2014 a Renaissance brand property in a major European city should still be clinging to CRT televisions.

Last edited by ohmark; Feb 3, 2014 at 8:19 am
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:33 am

Thanks for the review. I have a trip in April and have been debating between the Riding School and the Schonbrunn...stayed at the Riding School last year and it was great (really liked the lounge), but the Schonbrunn is much cheaper this year...decisions...decisions
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Embarrassing that the Holiday Inn looks better than the Renaissance! That property is in desperate need of a renovation.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:01 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
I stay here about 30 nights a year - for the past 13 years.. Staff is great and yes the decor has not changed since. Used to be a Ramada.

The GM told me last week that they will be doing a major remodel this year.

Originally Posted by sammyindc
Embarrassing that the Holiday Inn looks better than the Renaissance! That property is in desperate need of a renovation.
If it is the Holiday in South (in Wienerberg) - no way the Renaissance is much better.
I have stayed at all of the Marriott properties in Wien and seems to always drift back here (mainly based on convenience and price)

Last edited by PaulMCO; Feb 4, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by PaulMCO

The GM told me last week that they will be doing a major remodel this year.
Good to know!

I normally stay at the Ren IRS, but post-remodel would consider this one. And as noted, it's a good place to use megabonus certs.

Cheers.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Embarrassing that the Holiday Inn looks better than the Renaissance!
The Holiday Inn I stayed at was in the middle of a major remodel itself with one section of the hotel completely closed off and an alternate entry on the side of the building. It was the one on Margaretenstrasse, 2 blocks from Kettenbuckengasse Metro.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Good to know!

I normally stay at the Ren IRS, but post-remodel would consider this one. And as noted, it's a good place to use megabonus certs.

Cheers.
Till they finish the remodel and go up in Cat. Thats what always gets me, people complain old TVs , 70s room decor, Lounge not up to par (in regards to any hotel).Then when the hotel fixes everything it goes up in Cat and those folks wont be able to go there any longer. Even rev stays will cost more once a redo is finished

Thats why as long as a hotel is stayable and convient for me I dont complain that its badly in need of a renov. I might say it is but will also say if that means it costing more $$ or pts I can deal with it as is
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yes, this is one of the worst Renaissance I have stayed in. Will not return. Run down property, terrible rooms, no service. The only good thing was the breakfast buffet, but it was routinely overcrowded by bus loads of tourists.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:22 pm

I've stayed there frequently, and like it.

Big swimming pool on the top floor with great view. Outstanding staff, usually the breakfast is also outstanding (omelet station is very proficient), easy to get to by car or subway, nice Biergarten restaurants (great to relax in during the summer) across the street on the way to the Schoenbrunn Palace, a small grocery store right outside the front door of the hotel where you can buy water, snacks, etc., to take on your walks, and the price cannot be beaten (lowest I've found in a major European capital for a major chain).

Detractor is the lack of a Concierge lounge, but they try to make up for it, and do quite well.

Great value for the price, and as craz says, if you spiffy it up and modernize, you'll find the price going up, too. You can find many more modern properties in Vienna, but this one's comfortable at a very reasonable cost and fills a niche.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:24 am

Any groceries store nearby the hotel or complimentary water for the guests?

Also, any updates with renovation? Going there next week will report back.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Should add there is a supermarket and Bank of Austria on the street behind the train station on the other side of the tracks.
Old May 25, 2014, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by anchor79
Any groceries store nearby the hotel or complimentary water for the guests?
There's a small "Mom and Pop" grocery right outside the entrance, good for water, snacks, soda.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:50 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Update

Just an update on the status at the hotel.

Hotel has been sold by Marriott to a German group who are renovating the hotel. It will be under their management and there is a new GM and the hotel will remain a Renaissance.

Renovation is in progress -- outside is a mess. They have closed 1/2 of the 5th and 6th floors. Hotel will close after New year for 3+ months when they will complete the renovation including the lobby.

New group will cater less to Japanese tourists and more to business. There will be fewer rooms and more conference halls to cater to events.

Bar will be removed and moved to the center of a redesigned restaurant. What to do with the bar space is undecided. One possibility will be an Exec lounge for elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.